LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

how will my sport fair offroad?

Old 01-04-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
how will my sport fair offroad?

My buddy wants me to go to an offroad park with him next weekend. He took his tundra there and now he wants to go with his wifes wrangler. He said his tundra faired out pretty good and thinks my tacoma will do really well.

I have an '09 if it makes a difference. It's all stock except for the little taller general grabber AT tires. My buddy said at one point his tundra had his opposing power wheels off the ground and they both just spun....I was under the impression that the computer would brake the spinning tires and therefore put power to the tires that had traction. Would mine do that too? I know the off-road version tacoma has the a-trac option and mine doesnt...but I thought I read that the sport will still act similar.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:42 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Your 09 has the AUTO LSD which will help 'brake' the spinning wheels.

I don't know how this will act while offroad and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be a benefit offroad.

Your truck - bone stock - will do just fine offroad. Make sure you don't bite off more than you can chew.

If this is your first time offroad - make sure you stay on the EASY trails, put it in 4lo and keep your speeds down. Make sure someone has a tow strap (without hooks).

Do you have a hitch or a rear tow point?

Read this before you go:
http://www.lieblweb.com/tacoma/Gener...froadTips.html
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't auto-lsd only enabled while in 2wd though? What happens in 4wd? the TC button only turns it off, doesn't turn any lsd on while in 4wd mode. I have a hitch and will bring a ball with. My buddy has an all fabric tow-strap.

I've never done any real trails before, other than peoples front lawns before. I am more into road racing and drag racing so this will be quite a change.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
still wondering how the truck will respond in 4wd. will i have two open difs, or will the computer compensate any for it?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
Your 09 will do more than you expect. I also have an 09 double cab sport 4x4 with factory street tires and i still was able to lead and follow modified jeeps with 35" tires around this past weekend with just a little good judgement. i have also been off roading in tacomas for about 10 years too though so like the other guys said, take it slow and steady.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
I off-road my 06 Sport a lot. But I am not doing anything worse than like Level 3 off-roading. The locking diff will help is some areas - like really steep uneven roads - but IMO - other than that - it works just as well as an Off-Road. Just my $.02
Old 01-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
still wondering how the truck will respond in 4wd. will i have two open difs, or will the computer compensate any for it?
If you're not sure....

ASSUME you'll always have OPEN diffs and take it easy the first time out.

The only way you're gonna learn, is by getting out there and DOING IT.

There's a lot more important things to learn on the trails than how your truck is going to act. Keeping it on the trails, keeping it safe, making the right decisions, picking the right lines, knowing when to use throttle and when to use momentum....yadda yadda yadda.

JUST DO IT!!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #10
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
+1 to everything here. I just did my first offroad trip last week and had a blast! Can't wait to do it again... But, if you don't feel comfortable with something, don't do it and don't let someone talk you in to it. Because if you fubar something, you'll be pissed and never do it again. Just do the easy stuff - work your way up.

And take lots of pictures and post 'em when you're back!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
I wheel my 07 sport all the time, The truck does awsome a locker would be nice but other then that go for it.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the tips. looks like we are going tomorrow. woo.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
thanks for the tips. looks like we are going tomorrow. woo.
just go ahead and put a locker in the sport if ur gonna do it often. i'm wanting to do one in mine as well. thats the good thing about the 09 as u'll have the auto lsd AND a locker
Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
why would i take pictures. no one likes pictures...do they?