Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Multi-purpose strap

Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Multi-purpose strap

I'm plannin on going to buy a giant ratchet strap tomorrow. As far as use for offroading, it will only be used for minor "stuck" situations. I wont be takin my truck on to harsh of a trail. It will probably only be used for very mild snatching when friends get stuck in a slew we go to alot. Anyways, I was wanderin if the giant "ratchet strap" at home depot and lowes would work for that. Heres what I'm talkin about- http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...227&lpage=none

It's primary use would be for something else but if I could also safely use it for mild snatching that would be great. If not I'll just by a recovery strap too. Just wanderin if you guys think it would be safe to use. They have advertised a working load of 10,000 lbs. Just tryin to kill 2 birds with one stone
Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
You should always wheel with another vehicle - and you wouldn't need to ratchet yourself out of a 'stuck'. Sorry, had to mention it.

The one problem I see with using that ratchet strap, is that it'll stretch and you don't have a lot of 'leverage' to muscle the load. And what I mean by that is - once you hook that up and after you ratchet it enough to get the 'stretch' out of the strap - that is when you're muscles are gonna be killing you. That ratchet handle is very short - not nearly long enough to get the leverage you need to pull on a 4-5000lb vehicle.

Do you have a hi-lift jack?

You're much better off using a hi-lift jack.
Take a look at this site:
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.htm

Using the hi-lift jack, you're doing the same thing, but you have a much stronger device and a longer handle for the leverage you need.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should buy a hookless recovery strap. Then buy a normal ratchet strap for securing loads, etc.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You should always wheel with another vehicle - and you wouldn't need to ratchet yourself out of a 'stuck'. Sorry, had to mention it.

The one problem I see with using that ratchet strap, is that it'll stretch and you don't have a lot of 'leverage' to muscle the load. And what I mean by that is - once you hook that up and after you ratchet it enough to get the 'stretch' out of the strap - that is when you're muscles are gonna be killing you. That ratchet handle is very short - not nearly long enough to get the leverage you need to pull on a 4-5000lb vehicle.

Do you have a hi-lift jack?

You're much better off using a hi-lift jack.
Take a look at this site:
http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.htm

Using the hi-lift jack, you're doing the same thing, but you have a much stronger device and a longer handle for the leverage you need.
Sorry I didn't explain better. I'm not actually going to be using the ratchet part itself if someone were stuck. I would only be using the ratchet strap as a recovery strap (not using the ratchet handle). The only time I would be using the ratchet strap as a ratchet strap is for when we go huntin and I have to use it for cargo on the trailer. I was just wantin to be able to get a giant ratchet strap to kill 2 birds with one stone. Basically, I want the ratchet strap for haulin cargo, but if it can also serve as a recovery strap, that will save me some money. Sorry i know this is confusing

edit- I will probably end up just gettin both in the end. Just now noticed where you said it'll stretch
Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Stu will become famous soon enoughStu will become famous soon enough

Stu's Tacoma Gallery
1 point that may have been over-looked is that DelmarvaTaco stated a "hookless" strap for a very good reason. Should a strap break under a load, ie, towing your buddy out of the slew, that anything attached to that strap becomes a missile. The ratchet strap you speak of would be a nasty missile. That is why you hear of folks throwing a coat or towel over a atrap when being towed. It retards the energy of a strap if it breaks.