Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Tacoma for Central America

Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Beewhy is on a distinguished road
Beewhy's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma for Central America

Hey guys. First post. I just bought a piece of land in Costa Rica. I am going to need a truck to bring down here. I drive an F150 in The States but that's the wrong truck. Toyotas are far more plentiful and of course, more reliable.
My question is this. This place eats trucks. It eats everything. The roads are horrendous. I wanted you guys to weigh in on what mods you would make to a Tacoma for this kind of duty. Do I get a Baja or get a regularnTacoma and make more serious changes to,it?
I don't need rock crawling ability. I need to be able to go 30mph over washboard surfaces and be able to hit major pot holes all day long. After it rains the roads are just destroyed. I'm also worried about electric anything. Manual everything is better for down here. From trannys to windows to differentials. Is that something I can even get from a newer model Toyota? Trannys I know. But hub locks? Windows?
Lastly, do I buy new or used? I'm thinking used and wondered which year seems to have the least issues (saw some bad stuff about 2005 rear cases, etc)
Thanks in advance. I need to get this right as its a big deal bringing a vehicle down here.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Beewhy's Tacoma Gallery
I could. But it's crazy expensive new - over 50K! Taxes are insane here. And a used one will be so beat up it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #5
Beewhy's Tacoma Gallery
Don't worry about budget. Just want to know what you'd do in this instance to get a Tacoma to a place where it would be able to handle the conditions here.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Stick with a sr5 or base model so you get the 8.4" axle. ARB air lockers and ditch the stock transfer case for a FJ cruiser case since it is manual. Or you can look for a 2004 and older to get a manual case.
Then comes suspension. I'm not up to speed on the long travel stuff but I'm sure someone here is. Coilovers, upper and lower control arms, spring under rear leafs and long rear shocks.
Hope this gives you a starting place.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
Mjrileytwo is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Mjrileytwo's Tacoma Gallery
Have you brought truck down yet

I have land bear Poas and I'm looking for a Tacoma to bring down.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #9
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If it were me, I'd get what most other people drive down there. Then spare parts and mechanics would be easier to come by.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
VATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
VATACOEXP's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get the Hilux and then mod it with OME suspension and bumpers.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #11
jake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjake72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jake
jake72's Tacoma Gallery
could you get away with 2wd? 4x4 will go through more bearings and front end parts.