Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Which of these winches for me?

View Poll Results: Which of these winches for me? POLL
Warn M8000 w. Viking syn rope, thimble OR hook, Viking hawse fairlead $850 17 45.95%
Superwinch Talon 9.5SR $807 13 35.14%
Warn VR8000S for $633 0 0%
Warn M8000S for $795 and add syn line later. 3 8.11%
Warn VR8000 for $425 and add syn. line later. 2 5.41%
Other- please state what and why! 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Which of these winches for me?

I've been debating and obsessing over winch decisions for months. I'm restricting myself to a budget of ~$1000> for this and have eliminated all but these choices based on research. Please spare me the default "Warn. Becuz Warn. Buy American" etc. statements in favor of experience and empirical information and provide a reason for your vote, especially since some of the Warn candidates have non-US parts. This will be my first winch and I don't foresee very heavy regular use. Maybe a few times a year if I'm wheeling hard but I would like it to work when I need it to, especially since I may have to wheel alone/just GF and I sometimes. I'm leaning heavily toward synthetic line for ease, safety, and weight since my truck is my daily driver and I already have added tons of weight to it. I probably don't need a super fast winch, I just need one that's reliable and will last, but speed would be nice. Will be inside my plate bumper.

1. Warn M8000 kit with Viking synthetic rope and Viking safety thimble OR hook and Viking hawse fairlead for $850. I LOVE this package and it's a great deal for the sum of those parts.
Pros- Tried and true go-to quality winch. Cust. service, parts avail. Black fairlead and thimble will be more unassuming than any other setup, which is one of the goals in my build. Looks hot in the parking lot if you look close though
Cons- Expensive. Old school solenoid that may benefit from upgrading to Superwinch unit. Sealed? Not sure?
This is what I've been a click away from buying three times already, then hesitated.

2. Superwinch Talon 9.5SR with 80' x 3/8" Amsteel synthetic rope, hawse fairlead and hook for $807. Why is this a competitor against the M8000? Below...
Pros- Faster if performs as advertised. More powerful if performs as advertised. Sealed. Superior contactor "solenoid" that many Warn owners upgrade to and I probably would too. Great warranty. Excellent value for the performance and price. Superwinch carries a good reputation from my research.
Cons: ? May have some non-US parts/mfg.. I don't care as long as it performs.

3. Warn VR8000S for $633.
Pros- Warn rep., warranty and cust. svc. Cheap syn package.
Cons- Slower. New to market/unknown long-term quality/performance. Expensive. Old school solenoid that may benefit from upgrading to Superwinch unit. Sealed? Not sure?Performance falls off quicker? Also admittedly non-US parts.

4. Warn M8000S for $795 and add syn line later.
Pros- The tried and true, warranty, etc.
Cons- Adding syn line and fairlead later negates initial low cost. Price similar to syn. packaged Superwinch with good/better specs. Old school solenoid that may benefit from upgrading to Superwinch unit. Sealed? Not sure?

5. Warn VR8000 for $425 and add syn. line later.
Pros- Cheapest entry level Warn. Adding syn line and fairlead later negates initial low cost. Slower. New to market/nknown long-term quality/performance. Old school solenoid that may benefit from upgrading to Superwinch unit. Sealed? Not sure?Performance falls off quicker? Also admittedly non-US parts.

6. Other- please state why!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Have you considered the superwinch x9 or the ep9.0 ?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
It depends on how much you plan to use it, and how long you plan to run it. Permenant magnet motors have a shorter duty cycle than series wound motors. If you plan on long pulls or using it to do work, go with a hydraulic.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the pricing from?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
Mean Big Brother
eborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to eborgie
The superwinches are designed with synthetic rope in mind. They have the brake in the end of the winch and not in the drum. Drum breaks cause the synthetic rope to heat up and possibly melt. I have the Talon 9.5 and it is as fast as advertised.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Superwinch. They make industrial winches and that tech filters down to their line of "Hobby" winches.

But I'm also bias cause I have a 10,000lb Super Winch. ;p
Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
How about a TJM Stealth?
http://sdhqoffroad.com/tjmstealthwinch.aspx

9000 lb capacity
100% Sealed electronics
Standard with Synthetic Line and a removable hook
Standard with a wireless controller

We can also get you a Factor55 ProLink safety thimble if you prefer that over the hook as well. These will be up on our site in the next couple of days.
http://www.factor55.com/index.php?ma...5356b299484c32
Old 07-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Have you considered the superwinch x9 or the ep9.0 ?
Not very much information on the X9? I wasn't sure if the EP has a removeable solenoid? This is a MUST for me. I'm not sure any integrated solenoids will fit inside my Elite bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Where did you get the pricing from?
Amazon and various vendors. The M8000/Viking package is from Toddco suspensions. Best deal I've found on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborgie View Post
The superwinches are designed with synthetic rope in mind. They have the brake in the end of the winch and not in the drum. Drum breaks cause the synthetic rope to heat up and possibly melt. I have the Talon 9.5 and it is as fast as advertised.
Excellent points, I had forgotten about those factors. Are there any known cases of this happening with an internal drum?

Sounds nice, but what is the line made out of? Where are these mfg/built?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Mean Big Brother
eborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedeborgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Synthetic rope has definitely melted on drums with an internal brake. Search google images for melted synthetic rope. It isn't pretty.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
The EP 9.0 can be had integrated or separate.

I think the talon is better than both but you might be able to pick up the ep or x9 for cheaper and they're both still quality winches.

I should say the Talon is what I'd go with, provided I had the money. I've considered all three though for replacing my XRC8.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Cuz Stock Sucks!
SDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shedSDHQ OFFROAD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SDHQ OFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiruu View Post

Sounds nice, but what is the line made out of? Where are these mfg/built?
The line is made of Dyneema (SK-75). They are made overseas at TJMS privately owned facility however they are headquartered out of Riverside Ca. All TJM winches have a lifetime warranty including a no crack drum warranty. Shoot me a PM and I'll get you pricing. We have been using these in a bunch of Raptor bumpers and Jeep builds as of late and have one on out flatbed for the race truck and absolutely no issues. They are a fantastic value and they simply work!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborgie View Post
This is a non issue 99% of the time. Please show me melted rope threads if this actually happens. I only found posts of people powering out instead of spooling out and older winch line types. Not any from people who use the winch correctly.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Forgive my winch lingo not being up to par but I thought the M8000S came with synthetic line. No? If so why add later?

I assume at $795 it must include synthetic since you can get an M8000 UNDER $600 delivered to your doorstep.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 AM   #14

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah sorry I made a mistake in the poll field and accidentally pasted "add syn. line later" in the wrong place. It comes with good syn. line and I see no need to replace it.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
SmityBuilt XRC10.

http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-972.../dp/B001CF1XYY
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #16
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
warn + viking off road = awesome thats what i'm running and its light years better than the steel!

viking is a great company to do business with the guys especially thor are awesome can't say enough good things about the company the owner and the product. also if you go synthetic you will shave off around 45 or 50 pounds of cable so its a win win syn is just 100% better
Attached Thumbnails
Which of these winches for me?-imag0713.jpg   Which of these winches for me?-dsc00586.jpg  
Old 07-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
I owe it all to little chocolate donuts
JayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shedJayDirt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JayDirt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHQ OFFROAD View Post
The line is made of Dyneema (SK-75). They are made overseas at TJMS privately owned facility however they are headquartered out of Riverside Ca. All TJM winches have a lifetime warranty including a no crack drum warranty. Shoot me a PM and I'll get you pricing. We have been using these in a bunch of Raptor bumpers and Jeep builds as of late and have one on out flatbed for the race truck and absolutely no issues. They are a fantastic value and they simply work!
Interesting, I know their other products are top notch as well!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Mean Big Brother

eborgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
This is a non issue 99% of the time. Please show me melted rope threads if this actually happens. I only found posts of people powering out instead of spooling out and older winch line types. Not any from people who use the winch correctly.
Here you go

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...inch-line.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/m...-rope-1009441/
Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #19

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input guys. After all the debating back and forth I pulled the trigger and bought this http://store.toddcosuspensions.com/warnm8000.html with a thimble.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
DevL's Tacoma Gallery

Both these threads appear to be compression of synthetic line, not melted line.

Products Discussed in this Thread