Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

4runner to Tacoma?

Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
TheMulf is on a distinguished road
Marines: Artillery
TheMulf's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation 4runner to Tacoma?

Whats happenin y'all, I find myself in a conondrum. I have a 4ruuner limited(wife took it upon herself to lay claim to and drive) I greatly enjoy getting out onto the trails and easily fell in love with how she handles and climbs in 4wd, and I am considering getting a newer Tacoma. My question is does anyone have any experience with taking the tacoma offroad? I jave spoken with the sales rep snakes and they try to assure me that both the Tacoma and 5thgen t4r's have the same engine but I am not convinced. Has anyone driven the new Tacoma on/off road and would it comapre at all to the offroad awesomeness that is the 4runner? Any help is appreciated fellas

-Mulf
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
TODEOTA is on a distinguished road

Air Force: 819th REDHORSE Squadron
Name: Jake
TODEOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Comparing the two for off road, I would say the 4Runner is best. SUVs are usually better offroad than a pickup due to the extra weight and weight distribution. Pickups have a very unbalanced weight distribution. The bed in the rear usually causes loss of traction in climbs due to the lack of rear axel weight.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The Runner is more capable offroad due simply to wheelbase.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
TheMulf's Tacoma Gallery
That makes a ton of sense, thank for the input fellas
Old 07-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Get an FJ if you want the best of both worlds!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
TheMulf's Tacoma Gallery
Lol I got the 4runner already and am gonna trade in my peasant cammry, I dont think dounble runner/fj would be that amazing
Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Get an FJ if you want the best of both worlds!
Those are actually rated worse than the Runner and Taco offroad.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
TheMulf's Tacoma Gallery
No shit? Where did you hear that form? I was under the impression that it was pretty much soley for off roading, hmm, thats interesting.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
X2 why is the FJ worse than the Taco off road? Both can have a rear locker and ATRAC. The FJ has shorter wheelbase and better rear departure angle.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMulf View Post
No shit? Where did you hear that form? I was under the impression that it was pretty much soley for off roading, hmm, thats interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
X2 why is the FJ worse than the Taco off road? Both can have a rear locker and ATRAC. The FJ has shorter wheelbase and better rear departure angle.
Doesn't say why:

7. Toyota FJ Cruiser. A remake of the original Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40, the FJ Cruiser might have some curious proportions, but its short wheelbase, high ground clearance and excellent approach and departure angles make it a very useful off roader. It’s just a shame that its compromised styling gives it dreadful visibility.
Off road must-haves: The Off-Road Package ($740) brings with it Bilstein shocks and a locking rear differential, not to mention a trick retro-style multimeter gauge.
Great for: Those who want to look pretty cool while heading to their favorite camping spot.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/the-10-m...w-feature.html