Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Mini Expedition trip through Nevada.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Mini Expedition trip through Nevada.

Thursday night I decided I needed a break. I'm tired of the people of California, the traffic and living so closely to everyone else. If you live in CA and love it... Well, I'm not really sorry.

I got online and started looking at someplace to go and I remembered driving Highway 50 through Nevada and it being "The Loneliest" highway so I started there. I pulled up maps and information and decided to take NV121 from Highway 50 to I80. I figured on camping so Friday night I packed up everything I thought I would need and first thing Saturday I loaded up and left. I left around 7am and decided to take US 50 where it began in CA and ended up rolling into South Lake Tahoe. From there I made my way to Carson City and topped off the tank, then on to Fallon and away on the 50 through Nevada towards NV121. I turned off onto NV121 and started plugging along, aside from the heat I noticed the most important thing I had in mind... Not a soul in sight!!!! I trekked along NV121 and after a few miles it turned into an unimproved road. Yes, that's right, a state highway that was dirt! Looking at a map I had I noticed many spurs that lead off into either mountain range on either side of me. At first they looked unaccessible due to fencing and gates but after a few miles the fence stopped and went the other directions. I found a few spurs and followed them, the longest I think was about 5 miles to the base of the mountains before I came upon more gates. I headed back out towards where I came and plugged along.

I ended up at a geothermal power plant and looked at the map I had and my NAV and went where it said to go... That is until I drove through the power plants property, came up on another gate and had to turn back. At this point I'm watching my fuel gauge to make sure if I get to a point where I'm halfway I know I need to head back towards Fallon and call the trip a bust.

I ended up finding my way around and kept making way for Lovelock, NV.

Normally I don't advocate going out on your own especially through Nevada since there is a lot of land to get lost in. I filed a trip plan with my supervisor so if I didn't show up on Monday he'd know where to start looking and I stuck to it. I took over 5 gallons of water and plenty of non perishable food. I took flashlights, signaling mirror, maps and a compass. I know what my vehicle is capable of and I have the common sense to know when I'll be over stepping my and my vehicles capabilities.

Anyhow, here's the pictures.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
satmanski is on a distinguished road

Name: Sean
satmanski's Tacoma Gallery
looks like you got away. good job. that's the most desolate place i've ever seen in the US.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
lol that's home! I went to high school in Lovelock and that's pretty well all I did during high school was drive around that country.

It's not the most beautiful state but god I love it and I love the solitude and the desert is beautiful in it's own way.

Theres another road that parallels 121 just across the range to the west of 121 and will actually take you by the Lovelock Cave, and then there are plenty of chances to jump ship between there and lovelock and end up where you were at.

You can take dirt roads almost to any place in the state.

If you come back ever find time to check out canyons on either side of the Humboldt range and Unionville is absolutely gorgeous. Theres also some hot springs directly across the valley from unionville and then you can also take the road over limerick near coeur rochester and drop back down through oreana and hit 80.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Cool pics. All my in-laws live in Fallon. You ever want to explore more of the eastern(prettier) part of the state let me know. Ill help any way I can.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
lol that's home! I went to high school in Lovelock and that's pretty well all I did during high school was drive around that country.

It's not the most beautiful state but god I love it and I love the solitude and the desert is beautiful in it's own way.

Theres another road that parallels 121 just across the range to the west of 121 and will actually take you by the Lovelock Cave, and then there are plenty of chances to jump ship between there and lovelock and end up where you were at.

You can take dirt roads almost to any place in the state.

If you come back ever find time to check out canyons on either side of the Humboldt range and Unionville is absolutely gorgeous. Theres also some hot springs directly across the valley from unionville and then you can also take the road over limerick near coeur rochester and drop back down through oreana and hit 80.
I grew up in Tucson, AZ and know all to well the allure of the desert. I found a few roads that lead into the canyons but was short on time. Next time I;m coming up through Lovelock and heading out that way. I spent way to much time in Dixie Valley. I stayed overnight up off of McKinney Pass.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There are all roughly right where you were at.

the road you were on is just on the other side of this range

Old 08-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #7

This is one from kitten springs road and Bolivia. Not far from McKinney/Fencemaker.

Here is one from either Fencemaker or McKinney, I can't remember which. Probably Fencemaker, which is not far at all. You can also take the road up to Winnemucca from McKinney, spits ya out in Grass Valley.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #8

Thanks for sharing man, not often I see someone get up to my neck of the desert.

Another point of interest -- somewhere out there by McKinney on the Jersey Valley side is where this sad affair took place.

http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/showth...eful-Out-There!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
This is one from kitten springs road and Bolivia. Not far from McKinney/Fencemaker.

Here is one from either Fencemaker or McKinney, I can't remember which. Probably Fencemaker, which is not far at all. You can also take the road up to Winnemucca from McKinney, spits ya out in Grass Valley.

I would say we but I don'y go out there that often and you have more knowledge of the area but compile a list of good spots and directions/maps. That is what I was looking for, old mines, old ruins, anything to go and explore.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Great pics, it sure is cool to see old pics of yours max, to see how far your truck has come.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
Love the Trail edition 4Runner, it was a tough choice for me between it and my tacoma. Great pics
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
The TW 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs View Post
Love the Trail edition 4Runner, it was a tough choice for me between it and my tacoma. Great pics
Traded the Tacoma for a FJ and a FJ for the Trail Edition 4Runner. No looking back, the Trail is hands down a beast.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #13

Get a gazateer if you don't have one and then find the nevada map book it's a brown paper book with spiral binding, lots and lots of trails and two tracks on that guy. I got mine at Reliable Ace in Winnemucca.

Rochester Mine
Wrights canyon

here is one of wrights

humboldt city
star canyon
Unionville
Kyle Hot Springs
Kitten Springs Road/Bolivia
Fencemaker
coal canyon road has a bunch of neat random things to see, abandoned mines, quarries, etc... can also take you out to fencemaker mckinney

Heres a shot coming from that direction with fencemaker in the background.

the opposite way -- seven troughs, and seven troughs district mines, there is plenty to see and you could spend a full day 4wheeling around in the canyons and hills in the seven troughs range seeing the old mine sites and different towns -- then cut over towards the black rock and pass burrow springs and porter springs

If you really want an adventure you could find your way through the trinity range, either black rock canyon north west of lovelock or another canyon west of lovelock, that will take you to the top and then run along down to black rock canyon. That will drop you on the back side of the trinities and you can take the road straight across towards the seven troughs range.

Here are a few pictures of seven troughs and the road headed to jungo road just before the frog ponds

star peak is also a fun one
Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
The TW 1%
So far, Nevada has managed it's way to the top of my Expedition trip list.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Great pics, it sure is cool to see old pics of yours max, to see how far your truck has come.
Thanks man!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #16

Here are a few more photos of a different area of the state.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #17

Hope I'm not detracting from your trip report ForeRunner, just trying to share ideas!
Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
The TW 1%
No problem what so ever. The more I learn of the area the better. I can't wait to get back out and find some of these spots!

The thing that caught me was the geo thermal plant. if it's there then there has to be hot springs around. I was nearly lost so I was watching the fuel gauge carefully or I would have ventured off more.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #19

You can get a pretty good book with most of the hot springs around here. Touring California and Nevada Hot Springs. I hear these are good too.
http://www.hotspringguides.com/
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #20
Shaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaggs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Shaggs's Tacoma Gallery
And they are safe to bathe in right, no super toxic chemical or skin reactions? It would be awesome to do a desert party out there Clothing prohibited