Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Wyoming Lander Meet Picture Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Wyoming Lander Meet Picture Thread

Hey all. Jon(45acp) and I (blackdawg) tried once again to get a WY meet together this year. And once again only he and i could make it. We are hoping more can come next year though!

The location was at Lander WY. We ran a trail saturday morning called Christina Lake, then that afternoon went to Shoshone lake and camped there then came out the next morning. Not super hard trails really. But very very very very rocky. The entire trail was rocks for a lot of the trail. If you plan on running these trails ever, 33'' tires and siders are a must and skids including a diff skid are highly recommended. If you on 35s, should have a good time and not really scrape too much.

Jon got there fairly early, i believe around 6-7. I didn't get in till about 9 friday night. We camped at the city park and woke up bright and early at 5 am to head out.

amazingly the weather was AMAZING all weekend. Nice and cool but not a cloud hardly in the sky.

This is the start of Christina Lake. A shorter trail, but great fun.

As you can see, very pretty out and beautiful country. Classic WY

Trail started out very simple and easy nothing bad at all. On this trail though i do think we cross like 8 streams and a river.

This hill was tricky. Jon decided to take the much harder line and i was amazed he cleared it with open diffs. had both front tires in the air of course..i didn't get it on video

Now THIS..is a water crossing

okay so its not really..but trust me..we did a real one..

and the river crossing. Jon made it look easy on those 35s..but i slammed some stuff crossing this.

then this huge ledge was right after the river. again..easy money on 35s..

after this point the trail got much narrower. I think 2nd gens would potentially have some super issues with the corners and trees. I had to fold in a mirror once actually ha

was worth it though..

back down and across

And thats Christina Lake. Very cool trail. Beat to hell by ATVs but so was Shoshone so can't really complain.

From here. we went to town refueled and grabbed some food and headed out to Shoshone. This trail climbs strait up a mountain then dives off the other side to the lake. was pretty steep in some sections and was about 10 miles long from the trail head. Goes all the way up to 10,500 feet though for some breath taking views.

Not even at the trail head yet..

Was with out a doubt gorgeous..still not to to the top though..

In these shots you can kinda see how rocky the trail was. This is still going up the mountain too on the "easier" side. And it was much easier then diving over the backside.

Now the top

From here Jon wanted to wait for the sunset..i couldn't argue with that.

Then we started the decent. I took the lead from here as it was obviously getting dark and i had better lights. It got much much more rocky and knarly on this section. I was banging my skids and diff off everything. Jon took a good hard hit and decided to look under his truck. Damn good thing he did. He only had two bolts left on the passenger side of the LBJ and they were only half in and he was missing one outa the driver side.

So this became kinda a problem. They were 14mm bolts and i said we just needed to borrow two 14mm bolts from somewhere else on the truck. Having just replaced the body i knew all the seat bolts and seat belt bolts were 14mm. We pulled a seat bolt to see if it would work. Wasn't long enough. Then Jon checked the Carrier bearing bolts and we had a match. Granted it had a much bigger washer on it but we made it work. Took the tire off and then set the LBJ on a jack stand to get it flush again before we bolted everything back up. Coulda gone much much worse and we were both pretty happy with out it turned out. Jon check the bolts three more times on the trip and re tightened them every time.

Going down the rest of the trail in the dark was not the funnest night run i have ever done and i don't recommend doing it haha we finally got to the lake around midnight and just set up camp and went to bed as we were pretty tired.

this is what we woke up to though..

well worth it.

then we had to climb out, little easier as it was in the day time, but still quite tricky and i was still bouncing my diff off rocks.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As we got higher..it made it even more worth the rough intense ride..

Breath taking..

Found a great place to flex out our suspension. My custom packs flex nicely Jons newly trimmed fenders worked great as well saving his new MTRs from getting sliced up.

it was all down hill from here...literally. super fun.

It was a great weekend and a ton of fun. Trails were pretty challenging for me i felt like but not undo able. Hope we get more people out here next time!

Jon Will have more pics and videos tonight i would think.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome guys.

A few of those pics/vids is out of Ol' Red's capabilities...

And I'm bummed there were no synchronized swimming pics of you two
Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah Hawaii is some of the most beautiful land I have ever seen, but there isn't enough of it. I got really claustrophobic when we drove around the island from Waikiki to Kailua and it only took a little over an hour. There is no place quite like the Montana-Wyoming-Colorado-New Mexico corridor.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #10
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvtheMountains View Post
Yeah Hawaii is some of the most beautiful land I have ever seen, but there isn't enough of it. I got really claustrophobic when we drove around the island from Waikiki to Kailua and it only took a little over an hour. There is no place quite like the Montana-Wyoming-Colorado-New Mexico corridor.
Don't forget Utah! Moab baby!!

but i agree.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #11
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oh and that trip looked amazing. Hopefully I can get the taco a squared away for next summers meets. Have the lift, need to install, but then its all about what needs to be done to fit 35's, and then actually getting them.

You all need to come down this way too for a few trails, when my truck is ready I will be trying to organize something.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Don't forget Utah! Moab baby!!

but i agree.
Yeah, really anything west of Kansas and you are golden.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #13
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvtheMountains View Post
Oh and that trip looked amazing. Hopefully I can get the taco a squared away for next summers meets. Have the lift, need to install, but then its all about what needs to be done to fit 35's, and then actually getting them.

You all need to come down this way too for a few trails, when my truck is ready I will be trying to organize something.
ya i was gonna make a trip down to CO but after i rolled the truck my summer plans went upside down as well haha

35s on a 2nd gen takes some cutting for sure but still doable. Im gonna run these 33 KM2s into the ground first before i get 35s. Just can't afford them now and i have a lot of tread left.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

there could be...just not posting

and yes, a lot of it is outa Reds reach You'll need taller tires for sure...or like 1/4'' skid the entire bottom of the truck haha
Don't underestimate Ol' Red... when counted out, he ends up going crazy like Curly when he smells Wild Hyacinth

If you guys decide to do a meet with slightly mellower trails, I'll see if I can make it. I mean, I might have to get a snorkel with some of those creek crossings you did

btw - I have an old friend who, last I knew, owns a B&B in Landers.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #15
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Don't underestimate Ol' Red... when counted out, he ends up going crazy like Curly when he smells Wild Hyacinth

If you guys decide to do a meet with slightly mellower trails, I'll see if I can make it. I mean, I might have to get a snorkel with some of those creek crossings you did

btw - I have an old friend who, last I knew, owns a B&B in Landers.
Ha! thats cool. You have a place to stay and everything

not sure if there is anything harder then these trails in WY. Not sure what the plan will be for next year actually yet. But im sure we will keep ya in the loop.

or you could get some bigger tires and lift haha

i actually think we coulda got a stock rig through there..would just be SUPER slow going and would have to have someone spotting them like 95% of the time.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
i actually think we coulda got a stock rig through there..would just be SUPER slow going and would have to have someone spotting them like 95% of the time.
I have no problem being "that guy" (the one every one silently thinks to themselves, "why the fack did we invite him?!")

Always makes me feel good when I can follow guys in sick rigs with 33s or 35s
Old 08-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
I have no problem being "that guy" (the one every one silently thinks to themselves, "why the fack did we invite him?!")

Always makes me feel good when I can follow guys in sick rigs with 33s or 35s
haha ya man for sure!

I would get the sliders on first though. You will come out with damage as well on the diff and skids and body panels and bumpers im sure of it.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #18
Tacoma Lover
SupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupraT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
SupraT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics Monte! Looks like fun Those corner lights must be an SOB to put in compared to everything else you did
Old 08-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraT View Post
Nice pics Monte! Looks like fun Those corner lights must be an SOB to put in compared to everything else you did
LOL!!

ya i have to drill all the mounting holes for them..plus..i don't have two intact corner lights

And im missing the mount for my blinker bulb on the driver side so trying to find that part.

But it was fun man, was epic up there.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #20

Quote:
haha ya man for sure!

I would get the sliders on first though. You will come out with damage as well on the diff and skids and body panels and bumpers im sure of it.
I believe my sliders are being picked up as we speak

And speaking of skids... I was just under the truck checking out those bolts Jon was missing and I noticed my stock skids (the two up front protecting the engine? and front axle?) are beat to hell and the stock transfer case skid is mashed up into the t-case itself). I knew they were scraped badly and dented here and there but now I see rusted holes from where a rock presumably screamed, "who's your daddy!"

I saw that thread on the 1st gen forum asking about skids, so my question is: If I get Bud Builts, will the weight of having 3/16ths under there crush my fuel economy? (I know you scoff at that question but it's legit for me )

Also who makes a good t-case skid? I think I saw Jerry at BAMF did but thought that was for 2nd gens.