Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

---IMPORTANT!!!!!!!! LOSING OUR DESERT (Johnson Valley OHV)!!! need your help

Old 08-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #41
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
just sent a fax. its hard to call a politician sitting right next to my manager haha
X2 hard from overseas! If i was home I'd be at his/hers doorstep!
Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #42
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
Just called, couldn't get todays congressman or rep on the phone but I spoke with his secretary I guess and she said 40+ people have called on the issue today...
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #43
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
One other thIng is who are you going to sell a off road rig with nowhere to go . Just sayin . Sux I know .
one of the list of businesses i mentioned in my letter I faxed. Its going to hit the economy of the already shitty high desert. the open desert is the only good thing about the high desert and they are taking that away...
Old 08-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #44
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
bump!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #45
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Subd for tomorrow, didn't see this on the RDC link and I'm not on FB but, is there a certain time period that they take calls?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #46
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
Subd for tomorrow, dumb question but is there a certain time period that they take calls?
there is an answering machine that you can leave a message into after hours..doesn't matter what time. and, you can call everyone that's on the list from the link that was posted the very first post
Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #47
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
there is an answering machine that you can leave a message into after hours..doesn't matter what time. and, you can call everyone that's on the list from the link that was posted the very first post
Cool thanks, I'll give them a call.

BUMP!!
Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #48

probaby during normal business hours. 9-5? just checked both reps websites and couldnt find any hours just numbers for SBD county
Old 08-13-2012, 05:45 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
probaby during normal business hours. 9-5? just checked both reps websites and couldnt find any hours just numbers for SBD county
No worries I might just fax them today so i can get everything down without forgetting on the phone. Assuming we can only call once a day?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #50
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
No worries I might just fax them today so i can get everything down without forgetting on the phone. Assuming we can only call once a day?
Once is enough.. You can also email. You can do everyone on the list at once or do the one each day campaign, tomorrow is David Dreier. The only requirement is they want everyone to be polite and courteous.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #51
Power Top

if you call and get an answering machine make sure you leave your zip code with whatever message you wanna say
Old 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #52

From what it sounds like the reps dont want to see it going into the bases hands either. but it doesnt hurt to have the peoples support
Old 08-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #53

if you are out of town or state use 92307! Apple Valley. if they are only wanting to here from locals...
Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #54

have the GF calling too.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #55
Power Top

Why calling House reps is important (in bold) --Jasmine

Johnson Valley OHV Area
Talking Points

ISSUE: Marine Corps plans to acquire 160,000 acres of BLM land next to Marine Corps Ground Air Combat Center (MCGACC) Twenty Nine Palms eliminates most of the land available under the California Desert Conservation Plan (1980) available for to off highway (OHV) recreation impacting OHV activity and the local and national economy.

Johnson Valley OHV recreation area is 189,700 acres that develops at least 300,000 visitor days per year and is world renowned as an OHV recreation area..

Economic impact: BLM estimates $71.5 million annually into the local economy and $191.2 Million into the national economy.

USMC has a new requirement for MEB level maneuver training and intends to acquire 160,000 acres of this the land from BLM and conduct live fire on all but 40,000 acres - permanently closing access to 120,000 acres.

Local authorities and State authorities and thousands of citizens are opposed to the transfer of this land.

USMC is well into the EIS process and could issue a Record of decision as early as this summer.

Options other than those in the Draft EIS need to be considered:
Permitted use of land from BLM (like at other BLM sites used for training)
Other BLM land in the region (not necessarily adjacent).

More time needed for deliberation and seeking options on both sides and with the State.
Not urgent since Marines have been deploying to combat for 10 years without this extra range - should have more time to seek a broader solution set.
Once live fire starts the land is permanently lost. We need to find accommodation for OHV needs and that will require BLM and State officials.

The US House of Representatives passed an Amendment to the Fiscal Year 2013 National Defense Authorization Act that requires, prior to transfer, the Secretary of the Navy to provide a report on the new Marine requirement for this land and on the economic impact and on other potential solutions to the elimination of recreational land.

In spite of this Congressional interest, the Secretary of the Navy just entered the final Environmental Impact Statement into the Federal Register and can now within a short time announce his "Record of Decision" to acquire this land.

The intent of the House of Representatives was to slow this down to have a better look at it. The Navy has run roughshod over the House and ignored their intent. The House should be angry. We are.

Please call the Secretary of the Navy and tell him to stop this provcess until all the stakeholders - including federal legislators - have had their voices heard.

If the Marines went through 10 years of war without this extra land, it surely could wait a few months until all interests could be accommodated.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #57

all these views and not that many posts. if you like any kind of offroading/camping/hiking/exploring show your support!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #58
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
just sent a fax. its hard to call a politician sitting right next to my manager haha
I hear you, man. I called and left my message, but I'm going to fax and leave a more constructed message that way. Just my little camping trip there was awesome. I roamed around a little and saw that theres so much to enjoy- and I saw very little of what there was to be seen. If Ocotillo were to close too, I'd have no reason...

Somebody hold me...
Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #59
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
Is there a petition going around you can sign?
there was a petition campaign a year and a half ago ( there were different phases into save johnson valley)..tens of thousands of letters were supposed to be turned into a Navy office in san diego by a certain time, and they were all supposed to be delivered all at once ..turns out that the Navy themselves gave the wrong address and they were never delivered on time. calling each Representative is the last phase.