Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Pros/Cons of fiberglass fenders

Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Pros/Cons of fiberglass fenders

Don't really know much about them except they look pretty wicked. My question is are there any disadvantages of having them on a daily driver? Also, will they provide any benefit if you don't have a long travel kit installed or something?

I was surprised that the glassworks fenders weren't all that expensive. Of course, I'm sure the expensive part is getting them installed/painted...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
it allows you to flex out bigger tires than say 33s without trimming or tubbing the fenderwell

**Edit** see the Demello Tacoma
Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go with 35"s if your gonna get glass.

The only disadvantage I could think of is that it makes your truck wider, could make the trails a little tight.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

Hambone155's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Hambone155
look at fiber werx. they are pretty good to or downey off road is way cheaper.

just look them up.
i want to get a one peice front for my 95 that will make it look like an 08
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Hambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to beholdHambone155 is a splendid one to behold

and 05tacoTRD you better get that camber checked, it looks like you got some posy on that front
Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone155 View Post
look at fiber werx. they are pretty good to or downey off road is way cheaper.

just look them up.
i want to get a one peice front for my 95 that will make it look like an 08
i dont think downey makes glass for the 05+

i just looked on the fiberwerx site...those 1 piece race truck kits look badass!

and the conversion kits too!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #9

dont it.
only 800. im about 700 away i just started there but its kool hey look at my othere post youll like it,

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...tml#post324485
Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Installation is a pain but it's worth the time. I spent hours sanding each of the front fenders to get everything to line up properly. I still need to buy and install the new bedsides. Do yourself a favor and buy a Dremel if you don't already have one.

Before:

After:

Looks a little goofy on a non-long-travel truck but I wanted them to avoid the chance of sheet metal bending and tearing into my tires.

There's no standard means of mounting the antenna with these. I zip-tied mine to the truck under the passenger side fender and it's worked for me. Next I need to re-route the air intake since it now sucks in from the wheelwell with nothing protecting it from water spraying up from the tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Pros/Cons of fiberglass fenders-img_0924.jpg   Pros/Cons of fiberglass fenders-img_0942.jpg   Pros/Cons of fiberglass fenders-img_0945.jpg  
Old 01-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
I know on the 1st gens you can get them with a mild flare on them so it doesnt look wierd without long travel, idk about 05+ but if you can get a set with a mild flare on it with 285's and maybe a some wheels that stick out farther than stock it would look awesome!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Installation is a pain but it's worth the time. I spent hours sanding each of the front fenders to get everything to line up properly. I still need to buy and install the new bedsides. Do yourself a favor and buy a Dremel if you don't already have one.

Before:

After:

Looks a little goofy on a non-long-travel truck but I wanted them to avoid the chance of sheet metal bending and tearing into my tires.

There's no standard means of mounting the antenna with these. I zip-tied mine to the truck under the passenger side fender and it's worked for me. Next I need to re-route the air intake since it now sucks in from the wheelwell with nothing protecting it from water spraying up from the tires.
mjp2 theres some room and a little area under the intake filter of where u can possibly weld some kind of heat shield to protect it
Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
mjp2 theres some room and a little area under the intake filter of where u can possibly weld some kind of heat shield to protect it
I'm torn between that and running it into the passenger compartment. I can deal with noise but the ducting will be a PITA. There's a good chance I'll go with what you suggested as long as I can make sure water drains away from the intake if/when it does get through that opening.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I'm torn between that and running it into the passenger compartment. I can deal with noise but the ducting will be a PITA. There's a good chance I'll go with what you suggested as long as I can make sure water drains away from the intake if/when it does get through that opening.
just wrap the intake in a shamwow!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #15

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
just wrap the intake in a shamwow!
That might soak up all the oxygen along with the water! Those things are SUPER absorbent!

To completely derail the thread for a moment, 36 seconds into this is pure gold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPKtBM99kAc
Old 01-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
ahahaha, ur gonna love my nuts
Old 01-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
Mustache May
MacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of lightMacTaco is a glorious beacon of light

MacTaco's Tacoma Gallery
IMO you almost have to have a LT kit to make the glass fenders look good. Otherwise, the truck has a fat top, and no wide bottom to compensate.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #18
Student
absolutkc will become famous soon enoughabsolutkc will become famous soon enough
absolutkc's Tacoma Gallery
Tacos, fettucini, linguine, martini, bikini!
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTaco View Post
IMO you almost have to have a LT kit to make the glass fenders look good. Otherwise, the truck has a fat top, and no wide bottom to compensate.
x2...
Old 01-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTaco View Post
X3