Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Winch for hire?

View Poll Results: Do you winch people that are stuck?
Hell yeah, it pays for all my mods! 5 6.25%
Yes, and I charge a nominal fee 4 5.00%
Yes, I help people out of the goodness of my heart 64 80.00%
No, too much liability 6 7.50%
No, just too lazy.... 6 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Winch for hire?

This is to anyone who has a winch on their trucks... Since it's winter and I see cars spun out and stuck on the sides of the road, I was wondering if anyone ever stops to pull them out with their winch...

So, do you? If you do, do you charge them or just do it out of the good of your heart? If you don't, how come? Too much liability?

Just curious...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
I don't charge em. It's bad enough being stuck.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't charge (if I even had a winch... or a 4x4 )... seems like a dicky thing to do
Old 01-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
I pull people out all the time and I do not charge. Because someday I'll be in the same situation and need someone else's help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
I wouldn't charge (if I even had a winch... or a 4x4 )... seems like a dicky thing to do
I agree with both of you. Just asking the question because, of course, all the tow trucks out there that get called to pull someone out charge for the service.

Personally, I'd be wary of the liability issue. As much as I'd love to pull over and help out, I just always hear these stories about people that try to help someone, then get sued because something happened...

Anyone ever had issues from doing it?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
on road...if i can help...then i just help...and if they want to give me some money im not going to turn it down...but i wont ask for it or require it

offroad...no money

if youre my friend and you call me at 3 or 4 am and its pouring rain and you went mudding to impress a girl and got your stock chevy on street tires stuck and no one else has gotten you out...i'll be requiring you pay me for gas, $20 in cash for the trouble, and a 12pack of beer i have foregone the beer in place of said friend washing my truck the next day
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
Watching Chris4x4 o.O
borderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedborderbrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Navy: Leading seaman, Electrical Technician, CFFS(E), Pacific Fleet
Name: Jeremy
borderbrat's Tacoma Gallery
when it snowed here in vic and the city shut down i was giving ppl rides and towing cars out of snowbanks for donation. made $200 in a weekend and got three phone numbers giggity ppl are pretty grateful when you pic them up when they're freezing on the side of the road trying to get a cab that won't leave the downtown core
Old 01-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
No winch on the truck, but have one on the Jeep (plus air compressor).

It depends..... If I'm alone, I won't stop. My husband doesn't like to see me stop for strangers when I'm alone (I can't blame him). There are crazy people out there.

But, if we're together and driving the jeep...yeah, we'll stop.

If I'm driving the truck and notice someone needs help somewhere near my house - I'll stop and tell them to 'hold-on' while I got home and get the jeep. I've aired up tires for folks while I had the jeep out and about.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Banned
Bill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to beholdBill Brasky is a splendid one to behold
Bill Brasky's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
No winch on the truck, but have one on the Jeep (plus air compressor).

It depends..... If I'm alone, I won't stop. My husband doesn't like to see me stop for strangers when I'm alone (I can't blame him). There are crazy people out there.

But, if we're together and driving the jeep...yeah, we'll stop.

If I'm driving the truck and notice someone needs help somewhere near my house - I'll stop and tell them to 'hold-on' while I got home and get the jeep. I've aired up tires for folks while I had the jeep out and about.
Hi, Jan. Hugs and kisses.

Speaking of air, I've probably helped more people with air than I have pulling them out of a stuck. On the way back from Harlan I aired some trailer tires up for a couple of ladies at a truck stop b/c the place was packed and the air compressor was blocked by cars.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
I was wheeling in my sisters truck one time and this guys was stuck in an s-10. he was pretty much on flat ground but just had bald tires, all i did was pull him up a little hill and he have me 40$ and a 12 pack of coors light!!! i was like woah!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
If I see someone stuck, Yea ill do what I can to help money is not a big deal but if its offered to me ill take it.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
If you start asking for money be careful - if a local towing company gets wind of this they could make your life difficult (competition and all that).
Old 01-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
A few months ago as I was backing my boat into the lake several guys approached us saying they needed help cause they were stuck. They were offroading nearby in an old beat up Bronco. The road looked like it had a little water sitting on it, but in fact one whole side of the road had eroded and was just a giant hole full of water. Of course they drove right into it. I reluctantly agreed to attempt to pull them out. I told them I wouldn't accept any money. Of course that meant we had to secure the boat again, pull the boat over to their location, unhitch the boat, pull them out, then hitch up the boat again. They gave us a wad of bills that turned out to be $6. They were also drunk as hell.

I wasn't going to help them until they said they were driving a Bronco. At that point I had no choice. That is because almost 25 years ago to the day I was offroading at the same lake in my Bronco II when I buried it up to the axles in mud. I walked forever with my 2 young boys until I came upon a guy in a Tacoma. He got me out of that mess and I gave him what little cash I had and my tow rope. So now, 25 years later, I saved the day for these guys in a Bronco with my Tacoma. For karma's sake I had no choice.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
A few months ago as I was backing my boat into the lake several guys approached us saying they needed help cause they were stuck. They were offroading nearby in an old beat up Bronco. The road looked like it had a little water sitting on it, but in fact one whole side of the road had eroded and was just a giant hole full of water. Of course they drove right into it. I reluctantly agreed to attempt to pull them out. I told them I wouldn't accept any money. Of course that meant we had to secure the boat again, pull the boat over to their location, unhitch the boat, pull them out, then hitch up the boat again. They gave us a wad of bills that turned out to be $6. They were also drunk as hell.

I wasn't going to help them until they said they were driving a Bronco. At that point I had no choice. That is because almost 25 years ago to the day I was offroading at the same lake in my Bronco II when I buried it up to the axles in mud. I walked forever with my 2 young boys until I came upon a guy in a Tacoma. He got me out of that mess and I gave him what little cash I had and my tow rope. So now, 25 years later, I saved the day for these guys in a Bronco with my Tacoma. For karma's sake I had no choice.
good story...but there werent tacomas 25 years ago
Old 01-13-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
OK...damn it...it was a small Toyota truck. picky, picky...
Old 01-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
OK...damn it...it was a small Toyota truck. picky, picky...
nonetheless good story...that had to give you some good karma points or something
Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #17
Land of Oz

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
I knew someone would force me to look this shit up. I guess it was a few years shy of 25 years ago and it was a small Toyota truck (maybe not technically a Tacoma). Details...details... I am too old to remember that many details. I figured roughly a million points.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #18
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Usually if I can lend a hand, I will. I've jumped a few people and gotten some trucks unstuck at the beach. I never ask for money, but if somebody offers (for a pull) I'll take it.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM   #19
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
I have a winch on my work truck, but I am not allowed to pull anyone other than another State vehicle out with it (insurance).

I will stop and help anyone that I can when not at work with my Tacoma.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #20
College.
PatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPatHLC128 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt/6153 - CH-53E Airframe/Hydraulics Mechanic, HMH-464, MAG 29, 2nd MAW
Name: Pat
PatHLC128's Tacoma Gallery
i was driving down a logging road in eastern NC with my old 4Runner and i got stuck due to crappy street tires that i had at the time. i walked back to the main road and flagged down some guy in a ford ranger that was lifted and had some mods on it. i asked him to pull me out and he was very hesitant and told me that where i was stuck was some sort of state land and that any off roading in that area was a $10,000 fine. he ended up pulling me out and asked for nothing in return. i wasnt sure if he was right so later that day i flagged down a park ranger (i was in the Croatan National Forest) and asked where it was ok to drive and he specifically informed me that the road i had been on was indeed subject to a $10,000 fine. since he didnt actually see me on that road and i never admitted to it, he couldnt (or just didnt) give me the fine. that guy risked a lot to pull me out and for that i think i would return the favor to anyone who was unfortunate enough to be stuck.