Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

TRD E-Locker Capabilities??

Old 08-31-2012, 09:43 AM   #1
PreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Clayton
PreRunning's Tacoma Gallery
TRD E-Locker Capabilities??

Really curious on the capabilties on them. I have the TRD prerunner thats an 01. I would love to use it more but that sticker by the steering wheel limits it at 5 mph! im scared to even use it. Need some advice on the subject!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
If your on loose soil you can rip at any speed. Every time I'm off road use it. I have been over 100 with the rear locked
Old 08-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7racing View Post
If your on loose soil you can rip at any speed. Every time I'm off road use it. I have been over 100 with the rear locked

really?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #4
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Having the rear end locked makes ZERO difference when you're going fast. If you turn, that's a different story.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
why?

You can certainly go over 5mph with it while off roading, don't worry. No need to ever have it on while driving on the road of course. The only real way to test the capabilities of your truck is to get out and wheel it. Drive it till you get stuck and you know where you need more practice.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Offroad unlocked, get stuck, engage locker, get free. If you can't, get a tug
Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
paging David K..

Old 08-31-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I drove on mine locked at 55-75 mph for 700 miles, but one side gear was broken, so I could still turn, and then I pulled the diff and put a new one in.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
BroBraBlahBlah

If you understand what a locker does, and how it works, you wont need an explanation.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
lol, in that case, you being locked was really you being open diff. so it balances out.
The locker was still engaged but I wasn't mechanically connected to one wheel so it turned freely. The only difference there was that I could turn with the locker engaged, and it also made the truck pull madly to the right. Or push really. Point is that the locker was engaged at 75mph from Salt lake to Reno and varying speeds from Moab to SLC.

Without a broken sidegear you'd be fine 75mph as long as you didn't turn or you were on a soft surface.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
s7racing is on a distinguished road
s7racing's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=IDtrucks;5622428]why?

I'm confused on why you would ever Offroad with it turned off. But there are a couple reasons I always turn it on. It's way more fun to be able to drift, if you know how to drive I feel it's safer and more predictable as well. I know exactly how the truck is going to react as opposed to power being applied to one wheel at random times. Also I enjoy having the ability to STOP, with the locker engaged it kills ABS, which can kill you and your truck Offroad.

Again there is no need to worry about speed hurting you locked rear end, All trophy trucks have their rears locked, they go a little faster than 100 too.

But this is very important, you need to learn how your truck is going to react when locked.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #15
PreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of lightPreRunning is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Clayton
PreRunning's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so what's with not being able to turn? It seems counterproductive to lock the diff and not turn.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 AM   #16
CeRaTi
Rakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shedRakso is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: OsKaR
Rakso's Tacoma Gallery
E locker differential is capable of getting your truck where open differential woul not. Also it will save you from getting stuck.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Having the locker locked on the road can ruin your tires every time you turn YouTube (how axles work) and it will show you why. It's also fun when its raining. Lock it up and go siding on the turns =)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot to mention that 5 mph warning sticker is probably there cause you can push the Button at 5mph max. Don't ever try to lock the diff at a high speed
Old 09-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
really?
he was referring to racing in the dirt i believe...

at least i HOPE he isn't on city streets at them speeds... hahaha
Old 09-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #20
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
but yah, as stated above, you just need to have the truck under 5mph to safely engage the locker... once locked, you can hit just about any speed in the dirt...

also, when ready to unlock, just take the truck back down to a crawl...

when i lock mine, i do it at a stop, then i roll the truck forward until i hear the locker click in the rear and the RR DIFF LOCK button goes from flashing to solid...

if it doesn't engage right away, i roll forward and turn the wheel to allow the rear axles to line up... same can be done when unlocking...

x3 on not driving on the street locked... the tires will hate it, and it attracts too much attention from cops who will think you are taking a turn too hard...