Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

pro comp recovery hook

Old 09-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
Dogfish is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Dogfish's Tacoma Gallery
pro comp recovery hook

Does anybody know if the Pro comp recovery hook can fit on the front end to replace that cheesy excuse for a recovery point that came from the factory?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Law Enforcement:
Dogfish's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind I eneded up getting a Reese tow hook locally add it fit perfectlly. Although, I have to make a gate for it so when a tow strap has slack in it won't fall off. In the future I need to get extra mounting bolts.

sorry for wasting your time guys. lol
Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Tow hooks are for towing, not recovery. They are not meant to withstand the force. Additionally, recovery should only be done on closed loops.

here is an example of a tow hook that was used as a recovery point:

I'm only posting this because it's an extreme safety issue that we all need to be aware of.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
Tow hooks are for towing, not recovery. They are not meant to withstand the force. Additionally, recovery should only be done on closed loops.

here is an example of a tow hook that was used as a recovery point:

I'm only posting this because it's an extreme safety issue that we all need to be aware of.
my truck has the weirdest boner...
Old 09-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Disco Disco...
SGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSGT Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: NBCNCO, HHC, 1-158 INF
Name: Scott
SGT Taco's Tacoma Gallery
looks more like a clit
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT Taco View Post
looks more like a clit
Dang man, you must be hookin up with some freaks!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Law Enforcement:
Dogfish's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Dang man, you must be hookin up with some freaks!
Yeah one with a witch's finger. Lol
I know this is not a permanent tow hook for me. Its just something I am using for mean time for when I get stuck in the sand when I surf fish next year. I am eventually going to get one of the guys to fabricate somethin to use for a shackle. I don't have the money to buy a real bumper.....yet I figure I wait I can wait till I ge some real mileage on the new truck first before I start modifying it.

Thanks for guys for showing me this.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OK, to put it in perspective...

"I know these flashlights are not a permanent set of headlights for me. I am using them in the meantime for when I drive at night. I'm eventually going to go to buy real headlight bulbs, but I don't have the money yet. I figure I can wait until I've put some mileage on these flashlights before I get the real thing."

As an LEO, I'm sure your response would be, "Don't drive at night."

So... if you can't buy a safe recovery point... and there's sand... and you are going to get stuck in sand... maybe avoid the sand for now?

Just sayin'
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
Law Enforcement:
Dogfish's Tacoma Gallery
It either that or put the factory one back and use it like everyone else did.I figured it was better than having the factory loop on there. lol oh well I guess I am out of 14 bucks then.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Nuggety

I'd just go to a welding shop and ask them to weld a burly hoop onto your frame, probably 3/4" thick or so. I'd imagine the cost would be pretty low.