View Poll Results: What camping set up do you use
RTT over the bed 9 8.41%
M416 type trailer with a RTT 3 2.80%
Pop up camper 12 11.21%
Ground tent 83 77.57%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #261
Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass Bass
killianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shedkillianeric is one of the sharper tools in the shed

killianeric's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Damn! A show hauler? Very nice rig.
Haulmark Pro-liner, and thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #262
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

Name: Winter
LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
That's a really great idea for the back of the truck. How is it in the wet?
Thanks, I havent had the opportunity to test it in the rain yet, but if it keeps water out the way it keeps wind out im pretty sure it'll be fine. Its marine canvas so the material will be good and it seems to snug up to the truck pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDep View Post
Great truck -- I am VERY interested in the drawer system you have. Manufactured or did you build it??

Thanks in advance!!!
I built it myself, didn't take a lot of pics during construction, but its 2 drawers with 2 batteries at the front of the bed. I kept the design super simple, it took me 3 days to build, I have been VERY happy with it. I still have some finishing touches to do but ill try to get some better pics once its 'complete'

Quote:
Originally Posted by killianeric View Post
LBPtaco, I love your set up!
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 AM   #263
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
Hey guys so I think I am between 4 tents. There is a sale right now and I want to make the purchase before that runs out. I cannot figure out which one I want. I think I am leaning toward the hobitat since it is the cheapest one. What do you think?

Link to REI

Options are:
REI Kingdom 4 Tent - 2012
$389.00

Marmot Limestone 4P Tent
$339.00

REI Hobitat 4 Tent - 2011
$299.00

REI Base Camp 4 Tent
$369.00

Buy mine instead. Montbell jupiter dome. I'll let you have it for 500 and thats a steal, especially with two sets of poles. Things a beast and weighs less than 8 pounds AND will keep you warm and dry in ANY season. Its made for everest, havent been on anything over 10k with it but I can't say enough good things about it. Itll handle anything.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 AM   #264
Swab
LBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant futureLBPtaco has a brilliant future

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
drawer pics

This is all I have for now...

2 batteries at the front of the bed. They run the fridge and the 2M radio.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #265
Monkey Sweat
Bubbarr is on a distinguished road

Marines: Sgt
Name: Duane
Bubbarr's Tacoma Gallery
I picked up a Coleman Evanston 4 man tent with like a porch thing on it for about 50 bucks. I love it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #266
Swab

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetDep View Post
Great truck -- I am VERY interested in the drawer system you have. Manufactured or did you build it??

Thanks in advance!!!
heres some more pics, hopefully this helps ya.

You can see the top of the 2 batteries

Eventually there will be a water tank forward of this drawer

Turnbuckles to keep the setup locked down

Everything is made out of 3/4" birch plywood. I did not use sliders for the drawers because, lets face it, I'm not using them every day.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 AM   #267
Damaged Goods
ag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shedag4892 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
ag4892's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Job^^^

I just bought a piece of foam, sleeps ok and is warmer then the cot I had in the back, I will use the foam for the colder trips and the cot for the summer.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #268
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
I finally got the bed rack,RTT & awning set up finished.

Awning track to hold awning, I have it mounted on three sides of the RTT

Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #269
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBPtaco View Post
2 batteries at the front of the bed. They run the fridge and the 2M radio.
Just curious, why (2) 12v batteries? Was (1) not sufficient for your needs?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #270
Swab

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Just curious, why (2) 12v batteries? Was (1) not sufficient for your needs?
I'm sure 1 battery would have been enough, but I'd rather have 2 and never need the second one. The batteries are rated for 115 amp hours each, but I dont expect that to be a realistic figure, between the 2 I'm guessing 175 amp hours. In the future I plan on adding a water pump and some other stuff that will put more of a load on the batteries, at that point I will be glad I have 2.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:16 PM   #271
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mudafuga
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm sure 1 battery would have been enough, but I'd rather have 2 and never need the second one. The batteries are rated for 115 amp hours each, but I dont expect that to be a realistic figure, between the 2 I'm guessing 175 amp hours. In the future I plan on adding a water pump and some other stuff that will put more of a load on the batteries, at that point I will be glad I have 2.
Cool. Watcha using to charge the batteries?

I've got (1) 96AH deep cycle battery with a CTEK 250S Dual DC-DC charger. It's got an integrated MPPT solar controller. I've got (3) 25 solar panels to throw on the roof rack. I believe this will suite my power needs. Going to get a fridge sometime in the future and hope to have a dual band radio setup soon. I'm having a hard time finding time to get it all installed, but hope to soon.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:31 PM   #272
Swab

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Cool. Watcha using to charge the batteries?
For now I have a switched solenoid to the alternator, power to the switch is on ACC so if I forget to disconnect the solenoid it automatically shuts off when I turn the truck off. At some point I will ad solar to the setup, but that wont be until get myself back down to So Cal.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #273
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4892 View Post
I just bought a piece of foam, sleeps ok and is warmer then the cot I had in the back, I will use the foam for the colder trips and the cot for the summer.
I sleep on some memory foam in the truck bed as well. My wife thinks it is as comfortable as our bed at home and it offers a little protection when we're out in cougar country.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #274
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Buy mine instead. Montbell jupiter dome. I'll let you have it for 500 and thats a steal, especially with two sets of poles. Things a beast and weighs less than 8 pounds AND will keep you warm and dry in ANY season. Its made for everest, havent been on anything over 10k with it but I can't say enough good things about it. Itll handle anything.
Just saw this. I already ended up buying the REI base camp.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #275
crazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the roughcrazy joker is a jewel in the rough

Name: Jesse
crazy joker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I didn't see my setup listed in the poll but here goes. 6 foot truck box Scamper pop-up. It isn't light as it runs close to 1000lbs. Ride-rite air bags were a must to make it "feel right". It plugs directly into the bed outlet so I can power it up anywhere any time the truck is running. I love having lights and power while setting up and preparing for bed in the middle of nowhere simply by idling the truck. The camper is short enough that I can close the tailgate, allowing the backup camera to be useful. I wasn't satisfied with clamp setups that reached over the side of the box down to brackets off the frame, instead I built a frame in the bed that bolted directly onto the frame (through the box) and the bottom of the camper clips to the frame. The camper needed to be raised a couple inches anyway to clear the box rails since these campers were originally built for smaller trucks. If the weather is too rough and I'm by myself there is room to sleep on the lower bunk without raising the top portion. The profile and weight only take away a few mpg on the road.

I know I'm reviving a thread here. I love that camper! Where can I find one? All I ever see are the big 8' ones.
Here's a pic of my set up, but I want yours.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:20 PM   #277
uscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the sheduscg2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: AMT3 kodiak 60T jayhawks
Name: coby
uscg2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Used my new tent twice now. First time was in the desert with 20mph winds and it held up just fine, no flapping around or anything. 2nd time in the mountains and I was plenty warm inside! If you're in the Bay Area check out Pacific Crest Canvas, (510)521-1829, Eric made this for me and I couldnt be happier.

What propane tank are you using
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #278
Swab

LBPtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Its a 10# tank that I found at Home Depot 5(ish) years ago. I can check tonight for the brand, but I've never seen them again at Depot ever. They had the one there miss-labeled for $25! Online I've seen similar tanks for damn near $100!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:21 AM   #279
2012tacolover will become famous soon enough2012tacolover will become famous soon enough

Name: Norm
2012tacolover's Tacoma Gallery
I've been using this and I am very pleased with it so far, need to build a platform for some added sleeping space, but as it's been so far it has worked out great!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #280
roundhouse is on a distinguished road

roundhouse's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy joker View Post
I know I'm reviving a thread here. I love that camper! Where can I find one? All I ever see are the big 8' ones.
Here's a pic of my set up, but I want yours.
Thanks! They are tough to find. This was a Craigslist find that I drove a couple hours to pick up for around $1000. I went to get it pulling a S10 box trailer so I wouldn't have to put it in my truck until I measured everything. I believe this is a 1990 model and I doubt too many were produced, it has always been stored inside and is in fantastic shape, including the canvas. The seller was getting interest from other states but I was lucky to be closest and get there first.
I took it out west last summer and brother and I slept pretty comfortably in it for 9 nights. On another trip the family spent one night in it but that was much more cozy. My wife and I were in the cabover, the toddler was in a pack-n-play on the table-bed and the seven year old was in a bunk set up on folded flat rear cab seats. With my 09 wrecked and gone I'll be outfitting my 13 with ride-rite bags and a mounting system "2.0" in the bed. The frame will be poly-lumber so I don't need to worry about using the truck without a cap and hopefully a way easily remove much of the frame when not it use. Pulling the bed bolts by hand is NOT easy.
When replacing my truck I had to consider the profile of the new style sat. radio etc. antenna "fin" on the newer trucks, the camper fits that close to the cab it could be a concern. The SR5 I ended up buying doesn't have the fin, but if someone else goes this route it's worth considering if you do.
On the trip in Montana I met a guy with a Taco pulling a camper like yours and he had plenty of questions about my rig, wanted to find one for himself. With the growing family I've pondered a pull-behind, but still love the mini-slide-in for solo/two person trips.