What camping set up do you use

View Poll Results: What camping set up do you use
RTT over the bed 9 8.41%
M416 type trailer with a RTT 3 2.80%
Pop up camper 12 11.21%
Ground tent 83 77.57%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO721 View Post
i love the sound of rain on a tent!
Me too. But I don't like setting up/tearing down in the rain
Old 09-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #22
www.BeLikeBrit.org
fletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shedfletch aka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
fletch aka's Tacoma Gallery
I'm more of a three star hotel kind of guy, my idea of roughing it is no ice trays in the in-room refrigerator.

JK, well sort of. My wife and I have been looking for vintage trailer to restore, maybe 10 to 15 feet. Not much for week long camping but a couple of nights a month at the beach during the summer.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #23
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I usually just throw my bedroll on the ground, or sometimes if its buggy I'll put down my cot. I'm in the process of building this though...
Old 09-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #24
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
What camping set up do you use-5_camperbikeride2-470x312.jpg
Old 09-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #25
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
What does RTT stand for?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #26
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
What does RTT stand for?
pretty sure its those tents that are set up over the truck's bed or on top of an SUV
Old 09-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #27
northernco is on a distinguished road
northernco's Tacoma Gallery
Got a few setups depending on where we are, time of year and length of stay. My favorite is a 14'x18 canvas wall tent with a wood burning stove inside. Thing is big, warm no matter the weather and sleeps about 6-8 guys plus all cooking supplies comfortably. We use it in the winter time when elk, deer and mt lion hunting.

For quick summer trips, the ole dome tent and bedroll works or there's always the bed of the truck.

I'm over due for a good camping trip.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
What does RTT stand for?
Roof Top Tent
Old 09-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #29
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Ground tent for me, for now - looking for a trailer.
The blue/red/tan tent on the left is mine.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #30
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
Roof Top Tent
Thanks.

I've seen that acronym used for tents on a bed rack and on a trailer, so I had no idea what it was all about.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #31

Oh... and I've always been a ground tent kind of guy.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #32
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I have a M100 W RTT...
but normally will leave that at base camp,
unless the trail is a one way route.

But I also keep a four season ground tent
in the back of my junk at all times... especially when rolling a trail.
Includes day use/overnite things, food, water, sleeping bag, etc.
...Just in case

There could be an incident that requires a night on the trail.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #33
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
I have a M100 W RTT...

...Just in case

Your M100 is amazing, and the inspiration for my build.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
I have a M100 W RTT...

...Just in case

Dude, I saw your Scion XB seat swap on TTORA (or some other website)

Do you still have them in? How do you like them after all these years?

(sorry for the thread jack)

I too always have a kit that contains food and water for two extra days. Just in case. And in the winter the kit includes a backpacker stove (w/gas), hearty food such as soup, and an emergency blanket and sleeping bags.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #35
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I usually have a RTT mounted to my custom homebuilt trailer. This has been an ideal setup as I can usually leave most of it packed and its ready to go at a moments notice. With the trailer I have plenty of room for gear in the trailer and the truck and the truck doesn't get cramped for passengers. The downside to the trailer is that sometime you are on trails that aren't exactly trailer friendly. I built my trailer to be able to handle any trail (the Rubicon specifically) so I am comfortable pulling it wherever I go but depending on the trail it can create a real challenge and I have to decide whether or not the trailer is really necessary on certain trails.

So in general I think a trailer with RTT is my preferred camping setup but it really depends on your needs and where you want to go with it.

But I'm also set up to take the RTT mounted on my bedrack if its a trip better suited to leave the trailer behind or if I don't need the extra room for gear that the trailer provides. Having a truck mounted tent has it's drawbacks too. Usually RTT are mounted up high and have a negative affect on center of gravity as well as aerodynamics. I tried to address both of those weaknesses by mounting the tent as low as possible below the roofline, but still leave ample room in the bed of the truck for gear. This setup has worked great too.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #36
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Found this at tractor supply Co. would just have to flip the leaf springs and build up the walls. Only $449. Or buy a m416 for $800 and have to restore it
Attached Thumbnails
What camping set up do you use-20120908_131334.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
The light was yellow, Sir.
bridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up None of the above

I use two Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cots stowed in a BajaRack basket. I've been using this setup for years. I used to toss them in the back of a '99 Durango before the Tacoma.

They keep us dry, warm and off the ground. They have a very small profile when the desert winds pick up and they don't flap like regular tents. I line them end to end at night so the truck serves as a wind block. The tent portion can be collapsed and one end can be locked up at a couple angles so you have a big recliner chair. I seldom use them that way.

Attached Thumbnails
What camping set up do you use-img_8035_20110413-21-06-48-version-2.jpg  
Old 09-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^Anza Borrego?^^^^
Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #39
The light was yellow, Sir.
bridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
^^^^Anza Borrego?^^^^
Those were shot in the historic Dale Mining District located east of Twentynine Palms (south of SR62 and north of Joshua Tree National Park). There are a bunch of neat old mines to explore out there. Just watch your step, it could be your last. The last shot is at Mission Mine looking south into Joshua Tree Park.

I also visit mines in the hills east of Amboy Road (south of Cadiz). Nearby is Roy's Motel/Cafe on Route 66 (National Trails Hwy) and Amboy Crator & lava field further west.

I do go to Anza-Borrego which is much closer but I've taken far more trips to the mining district up north. FAR less people up there so we can shoot and blow stuff up without being bothered.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #40
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
Found this at tractor supply Co. would just have to flip the leaf springs and build up the walls. Only $449. Or buy a m416 for $800 and have to restore it
I've got a set of plans I bought to make a teardrop cu by on one of those small trailers. Never built it yet.

I'm liking the RTT. I want to get up to cap rock canyon state park.