View Poll Results: What camping set up do you use
RTT over the bed 9 8.41%
M416 type trailer with a RTT 3 2.80%
Pop up camper 12 11.21%
Ground tent 83 77.57%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #41
LensCap
92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92shawman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92shawman's Tacoma Gallery
Since you don't have a camper shell/topper and you have a short bed, this probably isn't the best of methods, but I just have a cheap inflatable twin mattress that I put down in the bed of my truck. Normally I just use a ground tent, though, or a hammock
Old 09-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #42
J4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ4RR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

J4RR's Tacoma Gallery
Coleman 9 person instant tent when I'm with the family and sometimes when I'm by myself
It really goes up in like 2min, probably less actually!

Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #43
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
When I go with my fiance:

When I go by myself:
Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #44
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
Your M100 is amazing, and the inspiration for my build.
Thanks... appreciate the compliment and would be pleased to know my build might inspire you to do, even greater things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Dude, I saw your Scion XB seat swap on TTORA (or some other website)

Do you still have them in? How do you like them after all these years?
(sorry for the thread jack)
This thread ?

Yep still have those installed... and they work great for me.
Not so good for those taller in the torso tho'

search "SafetyDang" on youtube (as well TTORA)...
I believe he did a more detailed video install relating to these XB seats.

Only thing I don't like about them...
is I wish I could lower them at least another inch.
But I think I have given up on that notion.

I tried once to put the original seats back in...
driving around for about an hour...
had me lose that thought purdy quick.

The original seats sucked for me and still do.

* added some seat comparison pictures to the first post of the above link.

thought not to distract here... anymore then necessary.

BOT
Old 09-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #45
Hillbilly
Fenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFenwick1993 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fenwick
Fenwick1993's Tacoma Gallery
I've always just ground-camped. :P
Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #46
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick1993 View Post
I've always just ground-camped. :P
Give it time............
Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #47
TJ'sTOYCOMA
tmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtmreyes1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: T-Rey
tmreyes1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbmg View Post
Give it time............
Yeah. I dont mind ground camping, but im tired of being on thr ground and in the sand
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #48
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmreyes1 View Post
Yeah. I dont mind ground camping, but im tired of being on thr ground and in the sand
same here, tired of sleeping on rocks and uneven floor... dont have the money for a rtt so im just sleeping on the back of my truck with a tarp over just incase it rains
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #49
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Stamford Fire Department, Group 3 truck 3
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
..I use a clark jungle hammock and i've never slept better....
Old 09-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #50
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
You can get by on a minimalist set-up for sure, but I think when your comfortable, i.e sleeping in a comfortable bed without worry about cold, heat, rain, and wind it makes the experience so much better.

Bad weather can really mess up a camping trip and I have seen heavy winds and rain render ground tents, RTT's, flippacs and pop-up trailers unusable. Not to mention setting up or packing up in rain just blows.

I always say when the weather is nice, heck a sleeping bag under the stars is just fine but once winds start getting into the 20's,30' and 40's, temperatures drop to 0, and rain is dumping by the gallons, hardside is the way to go!

I do feel a little guilty though when my friends set-ups have all blown away or soaked through and they are sleeping in the cabs of their trucks and I'm comfy and warm under my down comforter in my queen sized bed.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #51
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Man,so many variables.
Trailers have the cost of registration,tires,etc.
Roof tops are cheaper,but still a tent. Very cool though.

There's that one dude that has the camper shell that unfolds like RTT,in the rear bumper thread somewhere.

Idk,may have to pull out those plans for the teardrop trailer again.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 AM   #52
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
Man,so many variables.

There's that one dude that has the camper shell that unfolds like RTT,in the rear bumper thread somewhere.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #53
VATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shedVATACOEXP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
VATACOEXP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
Man,so many variables.

That's most likely a flippac. Check out TacoDoc over on expo for an insane build with a flippac.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #54

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
I will see if my buddy took any photos of his flippac when we did mojave road. Two trips, both times family ended up sleeping in the passenger seat of the truck, once for rain (this is with the rain fly attached) and once for wind as the material was staring to rip away from the fiberglass!

Great set up in nice weather though but for $4500, save your money. Again, anything is fantastic in nice weather!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #55
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shedlodi781 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=rsbmg;5672880]You can get by on a minimalist set-up for sure, but I think when your comfortable, i.e sleeping in a comfortable bed without worry about cold, heat, rain, and wind it makes the experience so much better.

...well ya, but that's called a house and it doesn't count as "camping", it counts as " the same thing I do every other day"...just sayin..lol
Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #56

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=lodi781;5673752]
Quote:
You can get by on a minimalist set-up for sure, but I think when your comfortable, i.e sleeping in a comfortable bed without worry about cold, heat, rain, and wind it makes the experience so much better.
Quote:

...well ya, but that's called a house and it doesn't count as "camping", it counts as " the same thing I do every other day"...just sayin..lol
Here is the definition of camp.

camp 1 (kmp)
n.
a. A place where tents, huts, or other temporary shelters are set up, as by soldiers, nomads, or travelers.
b. A cabin or shelter or group of such buildings: gathered branches and grasses for a makeshift camp; had a fishing camp in Vermont.
c. The people using such shelters: a howl that awakened the whole camp.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #57
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
I'm beyond tent camping at this point. Getting too old to be sleeping on the hard ground and, in a few years, probably couldn't even climb into (certainly not out of) a tent.

From now on, it's a camper trailer with comfortable bed, bath with separate shower (no all-in-one bath/shower), AC (for hot days), oven/stove, barbeque grill, rollout awning for that grill (rain), and similar. May not be hard-core camping, but it's at least camping.

Have already picked out the trailer I want, but it will have to wait until next year (buying & outfitting a house this year).
Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #58
Grundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shedGrundletaint is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Grundletaint's Tacoma Gallery
Softopper with an airbedz. We're gonna get an SUV tent to tack on the end so the dogs can sleep "with us" rather than in the cab. The extra tent space will be welcome, too.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #59
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartx View Post
May not be hard-core camping, but it's at least camping.
However you get outside; it's all good.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #60
Alexander Supertramp
lodi781's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=rsbmg;5673823]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi781 View Post
[B]

Here is the definition of camp.

camp 1 (kmp)
n.
a. A place where tents, huts, or other temporary shelters are set up, as by soldiers, nomads, or travelers.
b. A cabin or shelter or group of such buildings: gathered branches and grasses for a makeshift camp; had a fishing camp in Vermont.
c. The people using such shelters: a howl that awakened the whole camp.
I stand corrected...although that makes it sound like if you live in a small housing complex that counts too.