1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recovery gear?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by MudFlap, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Sep 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM
    MudFlap

MudFlap [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I was leaving work the other day and a mile or 3 down the road I seen a young lady had hydroplaned off the wet road with her 5-6 y/o sone in the truck with her. This truck was an older (late 90s) 2 wd S10. I stoped to help out how ever I could though I knew I couldnt domuch, hell I didnt even have a strap or chain or anything. Luckily, right after I stoped another guy pulled up in a big Ford dually and he had a strap but was affraid of backing off into the ditch to hook to em, he was scared of getting stuck himself. I took his strap hooked up, locked in 4 low and ATrac, and pulled this S10 out with ease, I mean I didnt even spin a tire! :D I was proud of me and my truck right then. LOL

Anyway, all this got me thinking that I need to start a little collection of recovery gear. I seen another member here complement his Smitty built recovery strap (30k pound strap) so that one is a lock. I am buying that one after some pricing and research. I also want a reciever mounted shackle I dont know much about these, what size or rating do I need here? I dont want it to break off and become a projectile. Another thing, I want to be able to help people every chance I get. Is it wise to get another basic shackle to hook to the stuck vehicle?

Summary
    Recomend a reciever shackle for me, and do I need a spare shakle to hook to other vehicles? Any anything else I should know here?

2. Sep 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    barlowrs

barlowrs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Build Thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/builds/74926-barlowrs-06-taco-expo-build-thread.html OME Lift, FJ SE Wheels, 255/85 KM2, Allpro Plate Bumper, 8K Winch, Synthetic Line, Yaesu FT-8800R, Custom Sliders Sockmonkey bedside decals, BHLM, base model grille, TRD offroad (black) trim
    Do MUCH more research before you start spending money (the fact that you are asking this means you have not done enough)..I'm not saying that to be a di*k..I'm saying it because you can get hurt using the wrong equipment in the wrong circumstances.

First off, for ALL gear I recommend ARB or Viking. They have come to an agreement with standard colors so that you know what straps are what (dynamic, static... treesaver, winch ext, snapstrap etc). This way if anyone borrows your gear, they will use it correctly as its all color coded to a standard.

NEVER use a static rope/strap to yank on another car, then again, NEVER use a dynamic strap to winch against, or alongside a chain, etc.

There is a LOT to know to use the gear safely...so read up on it and learn it.

Now ideas on what to get (my kit that is in my truck always):

6 von beast shackles (two front, 2 rear, and two others for random)....you want at LEAST two.
    ARB Tree Saver (Static)
    ARB Snatch Strap (dynamic)
    Viking Winch etc (Static)
    my winch of course
    Snatch block...

For a min kit to pull out cars like you described on the side of the rode...i suggest:

2 shackles
    1 snatch strap (ARB, Viking, Superyanker, etc) for dynamic pulls (getting a running start)

Your biggest concern will be recovery points (where to attach it)...most little stock trucks will not have a good recovery point, and you do NOT want to yank on it it it doesn’t.

Recovery can be a VERY dangerous game..so read up on it.

hella_tacoma likes this.
  3. Sep 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
  4. Sep 19, 2012 at 2:56 PM
    Dogfish

Dogfish Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    2012 Taco sport
    One of the best things you can do is get together with other people that off road. You will be surprised on what you learn from them. Although, some of it is not always the safest way, but it works in a pinch. Look at the equipment they use and learn how to use them properly. Do a little bit of research on these kind of forums or even use youtube to see it in action. Nothing beats hands on training though.
    As for recovery equipment stick to the basics. Like 2 recovery straps, 2 Shackles, come along or Hilift jack, shovel, and leather gloves. If you have a receiver hitch, you may want to get a receiver shackle.

Edit:I know in the basic kit I said Hilift jack, but please make sure you know how to use it before you try it out.

5. Sep 19, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    MudFlap

MudFlap [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Wouldnt mind off roading with folks but it seems its pretty limited around here. On the other hand though, I grew up working on a farm and working with "high lift" jacks, down here in the south we call em "Handy Man Jacks" but what ever LOL. I was always told when I was young to be carefull with those thing that they can get ya. Well it happend when I was 16, our 1 ton dually farm truck got a flat on the drivers side inside back tire. All went well untill I was letting the the truck down and my little 100 pound butt slipped off the handle and it came up and damn near broke my jaw bone. LOL I was out of commision for about 30 mins cause it rung my bell pretty damn good, but yeah, I am familiar with a Highlift jack,

6. Sep 20, 2012 at 12:11 PM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
  7. Sep 20, 2012 at 12:23 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    We sell both our Made In USA Recovery Straps as well as the ARB. [​IMG]

8. Sep 24, 2012 at 11:39 AM
    jsmarine

jsmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma SR5 Crew Cab 4x4
    ARB front & rear lockers ARB bull bar Warn XP9000 winch IPF lights
    I dont know how long it is.

9. Sep 25, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    no problem JSMarine...i got a 20footer from Wheelers coming soon...
    thanks for the link YotaDan.

10. Oct 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    trint99

trint99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trint
    Conifer, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 AC 4x4 TRD-OR
    4xInnovation sliders,5100 leveling lift,Anytime rear camera mod
    So so so true. It's great to be a good Samaritan, but be very very aware of your liability if you damage the vehicle you're jerking on.

http://youtu.be/LTHnqB7w3cA?t=1m17s

I know this is an extreme example of stupid kids, but still. Let this image fill your mind when you're hooking your strap to some cute girls plastic barbie car.

11. Oct 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    you can use a static strap to pull (drag) someone out, just not to yank on them right, that's when you should use the dynamic strap?

12. Oct 7, 2012 at 8:59 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Crosby or ARB 3/4" screw pin shackle (van beest is over rated, Crosby is American made and is pretty much the industry standard) and a 30' strap from wheelers and then a whatever brand hitch shackle mount.

13. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    x2 on all above, just here to lul at the homies destroying their car haha

14. Oct 7, 2012 at 9:53 PM
    goforlow

goforlow Middle aged old man

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 AC V6 6SP TRD OR SUPER WHITE
    working on it
    While I too am willing to help those in need, be careful. Here in WI, you can get hit with some nasty fines by the cops for pulling someone out of the ditch without a license to "recover/tow". If the accident/event is drug/alcohol involved, it is now a crime scene and you will can be charged with tampering with a crime scene.

A buddy got over $600 in fines for pulling someone out of the ditch. It was deemed by the cops that the person was "driving to fast for conditions", so my buddy got the "tampering with a crime scene" charge.

Just a warning.

15. Oct 11, 2012 at 9:26 PM
    BlindingWhiteTac.

BlindingWhiteTac. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Thomas
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 LQ4 4L80E
    Just the essentials and no extra fluff.
    I just bough an ARB snatch strap, two Smitty 4.75 ton rated 3/4" shackles, and a Smitty 4.75 ton 3/4" hitch shackle receiver. I got the middle rated snatch strap, but after doing some more reading the lightest rated one would work just fine for the Tacoma.

Youtube has lots of useful videos. Search for Ruggedguide, his videos are very good at explaining things.

Basically with a snatch strap you leave a couple yards slack in it. Drive away at a reasonable speed and the strap acts like a rubber band and snatches the other vehicle.

FYI, the Smitty shackles are made in China.

Products Discussed in

To Top