Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Do I even need a TRD if I'm lifting n future?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Monkeyman019 is on a distinguished road
Army: 15Y
Monkeyman019's Tacoma Gallery
Exclamation Do I even need a TRD if I'm lifting n future?

I looking at buying a "for the most part" stock 2ed gen Tacoma, and trying to save Money so I was wondering if I'm going to put lift kit and rally bumbers and new gears, does the trd models come with anything worth having?
Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
the only big difference is that sr5 models don't offer a rear locking diff. other than that there are small things like the power inverter in the bed, and seats. but honestly if your'e gonna build the truck up sr5 would be fine. there's always the arb air locker you could add on in the future with the sr5.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
BRANDO357 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
BRANDO357's Tacoma Gallery
My tacoma is a 2004 TRD SR5 and has a rear locker. I think with the TRD you get a different tire size, shocks, and the always cool sticker. But if you're going to be building your truck up anyways none of that would matter I wouldn't think. Might save a little by not paying for the upgrades you're going to pull off anyways...
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
If you're gonna be modding the only thing you are really missing is the locker which you can just get aftermarket. And the better seats.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
the only big difference is that sr5 models don't offer a rear locking diff. other than that there are small things like the power inverter in the bed, and seats. but honestly if your'e gonna build the truck up sr5 would be fine. there's always the arb air locker you could add on in the future with the sr5.
x2 seats, locker, and outlet pretty much. The deciding factor there really being the locker. If you need it and if you want to put an aftermarket one in when you regear or not will tell you which to get between sr5 and trd.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
the locker is a HUGE plus IMO, and sometimes hard to justify the cost of after the initial vehicle purchase.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Monkeyman019 is on a distinguished road
Army: 15Y
Monkeyman019's Tacoma Gallery
Ok that was great info, but I had an 99' Tacoma w/ locker and I rarely used it even when 4x4'n. When do u use the diff locker? Or a good time to use it?
Old 09-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You would use it in uneven obstacles. If you never used it before then don't get it. I wanted the locker, ATRAC and better seats so I bought TRD.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Rainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRainman998 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 0331/1391
Rainman998's Tacoma Gallery
ATRAC has saved me in the past. The OR TRD is where it's at
Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Dan View Post
x2
Old 09-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
the locker is a HUGE plus IMO, and sometimes hard to justify the cost of after the initial vehicle purchase.
X2

Once you figure out how, and where to use it properly, it's an awesome tool.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #12
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
i think the seats are worth it alone
Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Well I would say that a rear locker is really expensive and A-trac in the front is almost priceless so i'd check the box next to worth it. Unless you can save enough on a non-trd model to make up for the price of front and rear lockers plus labor install.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsbrain03 View Post
X2

Once you figure out how, and where to use it properly, it's an awesome tool.
care to elaborate and pass on some knowledge?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #16
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
care to elaborate and pass on some knowledge?
A locker will help you to climb up and over ledges like this on a steep incline. It also help in any situation where both rear tires need traction.
A locker was needed here. A non locked taco with beefy tires could not get up this.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #17

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
nice pic, and cool story to go with it. I know enough about the locker to know when it should be used, for the most part, i guess what i'm wondering is when not to use it. I think i once read that open front and rear are better in deep snow with momentum, im not sure if that is true. I guess you wouldn't want the locker on in the back on a slick trail with a lot of turns.

Growing up with ATVs we had no choice, every atv is locked in the back by default. Fsbrains posts seem to suggest that he had mental list of when to use and when not to sure the rear locker.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
If you intend to regear anyway, an ARB air locker will add about $900 per axle (based on ECGS prices). An ARB low-end air compressor runs about $200.

Inverters are easy enough to purchase and install yourself if you care about having the AC 120V port (I don't). A 400W unit is $30 at Harbor Freight: http://www.harborfreight.com/400-wat...ter-66814.html
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
We don't get enough snow in Texas to comment about using a locker in it. I would say go wheeling till you can't get over an obstacle and then engage the locker. Also a locker can help have more control over obstacles by allowing you to go slower.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
eric3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to beholderic3187 is a splendid one to behold

eric3187's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a TRD Offroad model with no regrets at all, i knew i was going to mod the truck from the get go but things like Down Hill Assist are rather handy when im out in the mountains and need a consistant controlled speed down the hill

Products Discussed in this Thread