1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Death Valley off roading November 22-25

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by ucdzombie, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Oct 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM
    ucdzombie

ucdzombie [OP] Member

Member:
    I drive a 96 FZJ80 and would like to go off-roading in Death Valley with a couple of rigs this Thanksgiving November 22-25. Anyone interested please PM or reply ASAP. Or send me email andytanviolin@gmail.com. Thank you.

2. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    still VERY up in the air for me, but i am planning to be there the 18th and 19th. i have to be home for thanksgiving or my better half will kill me

3. Oct 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM
    ucdzombie

ucdzombie [OP] Member

Member:
    You have family plans for Thanksgiving? And are you going there by yourself (one rig)? Let me know if you change your mind.:)

4. Oct 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    ucdzombie

ucdzombie [OP] Member

Member:
    OK here's the plan. Please take a look at the backcountry road map provided by DV:
    http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Backcountry Roads-2.pdf

Day 1:
    We enter the park from north of Trona, CA. Via Escape Trail (not marked on map), we go across Slate Range. After entering Goler Cayon, we go over Panamint Range via Mengel Pass. Continuing on Warm Springs Canyon Road. Reach Furnace Creek by night fall. Attractions: Barker Ranch, Gold Hill Mine, Badwater (lowest point of USA), Devil's Golf Course.

Day 2:
    Visit Borax museum at Furnace Creek, Artists Drive, Stovepipes Wells Village. Night stay at Mesquite Spring/ Scottys Castle.

Day 3:
    Departure from Mesquite Spring, visit Ubehebe Crater, and Race Track (the weird moving rocks). If we can make it through Lippincott Pass, it'll be super fun, since this trail is famous and challenging.

5. Oct 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    Yes, family plans. I've been trying to do thanksgiving in the desert for the last 5 years, but still no luck.

As of now, the trip is lookin like its not gonna happen at all. keepin my fingers crossed tho.

6. Oct 17, 2012 at 1:33 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Heres my trip down Lippencott, back in January. Who knows whats changed since then. I dont remember where i saw it, but there were a bunch of road closures about a month ago due to wash outs.

http://youtu.be/NM4DC5_oCNY

7. Oct 17, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    ucdzombie

ucdzombie [OP] Member

Member:
    OK keep me posted.

8. Oct 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    Mach375

Mach375 Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    The fam and I will be there Monday to Saturday of Thanksgiving week, inclusive. Our focus is the Saline Valley.
    Entering via my usual route from the south via Trona to the old superintendent's house in the Panamints (not on map). Show the fam the kilns, maybe tackle a bit of Wildrose Peak. Then head to Ubehebe lead mine, stopping in at a couple of the easier slot canyons for some hiking. Go by the Racetrack on our way through Lippencot to get to Saline Valley. Couple days at the springs (including Turkeyday), exploring the wider area (like Cerro Gordo and the tramway). Then head up Steele Pass to get to Eureka Dunes. On our way out we'll stop by the bristlecone forest. If there's time, we'll work our way to Bodie via some backroads.
    Wednesday is my son's birthday, and Thursday is Turkeyday. Both of those I plan to celebrate at the springs.

I have no plans to visit Tourist Town (the major paved attractions at DV, like Badwater, Furnace Creek, Zabriski, etc.). Been there, done that -- seen it once, seen it enough.

I've been planning this awhile, so I've found some great info. Check out the following sites:
    http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/steelepass.html
    http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml
    http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

If y'all let me know what your rigs look like, I'll try to keep my eyes out for ya.
    Mine: debadged Barcelona Red DCLB, ARB winch bumper with CB antenna on passenger's side, black billet grille, SnugTop shell with black rack on top (loaded with a half dozen fuel cans, a few water cans, and ammo boxes of all sizes), rolling on 255/85/16 KM2s on black teflon wheels (yet to purchase, but they'll be on by then).

9. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    ucdzombie

ucdzombie [OP] Member

Member:
    Awesome tips! Thank you. I drive a 96 FJ80 in light blue gray. All stock with no running board.

10. Oct 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Man, I've been wanting to do this trip for a year now, more specifically head to Racetrack Playa. That's the only "tourist" attraction in DVNP I have yet to see. Of course, I'm sure all the best stuff is miles away from pavement.

11. Oct 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    srsnow

srsnow Member

Member:
    This sounds like a lot of fun. My question is how friendly is something like this on a stock truck, in this case a 07 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4?

12. Oct 19, 2012 at 10:19 PM
    ucdzombie

ucdzombie [OP] Member

Member:
    So are you down for it? Right now I have my FJ80, and a Jeeper from Irvine down for sure. I'm still waiting to hear from a family from Arizona with a FJ Cruiser, and a Cherokee from SoCal.

13. Oct 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    ucdzombie

ucdzombie [OP] Member

Member:
    I'm relatively new to off-roading so I'm not quite sure. My FJ80 is all stock with factory lockers. Mine has bigger tires so it has a better clearance. If you put off-road tires on your truck it shouldn't be a problem. Check out this link, one of the rigs looks like a stock Tacoma:

http://www.off-road.com/trails-events/trails/offroad-travel-death-valley-part-1-53449.html

And by the way that's very similar to what I want to do this time.

Products Discussed in

To Top