Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

The best way to get your truck unstuck out of mud?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
ich bin die Scheiße
IBATanker is on a distinguished road

Army: bad mo fo
Name: Chuck
IBATanker's Tacoma Gallery
The best way to get your truck unstuck out of mud?

Hey quick question, i got my truck stuck in some Georgia mud. I was over confident in my off roading and got stuck, what is the best way to pull my truck out? I have no traction due to mud being in all the grooves of the tires, both 4h and 4l w/ no traction control doesn't work. Also would it help that the person that is helping have 4wd also?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
get someone to tow you out?
it would help if the tow has 4wd. more traction and power to the ground means you'll get more pull, and that person is less likely to get stuck helping you get unstuck

find stuff to add traction around your tires, use your floormats if you have to
got a shovel? start digging
Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
ich bin die Scheiße

Yea me and my friend was going at it for about an hour last night trying from all angles but couldn't get me out, had to leave my baby sitting there, the only thing is he didn't have 4wd. I have a shovel, looks like I need to start being it with me. Would wood planks (2x4's ect.) help with traction?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
wow..straight out of the "from the most open ended questions" category!!

the best way? have a friend with a bulldozer!

no way to answer this..every situation is different. the bulldozer solution is pretty universal though.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Tires.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You need someone with a bigger truck and/or a winch but you can try airing down a bit. Planks might help if you can get them under the tires. Low range is bad for mud since all it will do is spin. I suggest 4wd high with not traction aids so the tires can clean themselves out but don't do anything now because it will make the stuck worse.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
trint99 is on a distinguished road

Name: Trint
trint99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBATanker View Post
Would wood planks (2x4's ect.) help with traction?
Not really. Wood gets slick fast when it gets wet or muddy. But it could help you get up out of the hole. You could use a hi-lift to jack a couple of wheels up out the holes and put 2x6's under them. Don't count on traction, but at least they won't be trying to climb the pits you dug.

Years ago, my brother got a Datsun pickup stuck and my dad used 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood this way. Jacked it up to get the ply under the wheels, then switched out the sheets to drive it out.

P.S. You'll also need a piece of lumber under the jack.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #8
Taco Vending Machine
Beefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefed Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Beefed Taco's Tacoma Gallery
1) V8
2) Boggers
3) If these fail...friend with shovel & tow strap.

Seriously though...clear the blockage and use a lot of throttle and don't run anything other than chunky mud tires with a ton of space between the lugs if you're going into the mud.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
..Slingin' up mud and we're scarying off bunnies..
186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed186000mps is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
186000mps's Tacoma Gallery
If when you shovel and the mud doesn't slush back in you can shovel out some space in front of the tires and lay some small logs perpendicular to your path essential making your own road.

Yes friends with tractors and winches are helpful here as well
Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
invest in a winch if your gonna mud in a 4x2. at least you will have yourself to pull you out.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #11
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
try to stuff branches under the tires, fir branches work pretty good
Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #12
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
wow..straight out of the "from the most open ended questions" category!!

the best way? have a friend with a bulldozer!

no way to answer this..every situation is different. the bulldozer solution is pretty universal though.
or a M37 (Military Power Wagon)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
ich bin die Scheiße

Hey guys thanks for your opinions, but the funny thing is when I went to go pick it up it was pulled out of the mud and had a note attached. So thanks for those people who helped me out.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
it was pulled out with the wheels locked? ouch
Old 10-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Good intentions can really screw stuff up.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznutx View Post
it was pulled out with the wheels locked? ouch
this
Old 10-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
a few feet of dragging over soft ground won't harm anything...
Old 10-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
ich bin die Scheiße

When we tried to pull it out and failed, I left the transmission in neutral and brake off, that is how it was moved. I figured it was moved with a humvee.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #19
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
Good to hear it's out.

Snatch strap might have worked. If not a Hi Lift. Pick up one wheel at a time and throw in some rocks, a brush mat, or waffle board.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #20
ich bin die Scheiße

This is how she is sitting right now.