Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Do you have tracks on your Tacoma?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
jonmyrlebailey is on a distinguished road
jonmyrlebailey's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have tracks on your Tacoma?

I am considering putting the cheaper version of Mattracks (American Track Truck Dominator) on my future Toyota 4x4 to go play in snow country. I live in central CA. I don't fancy playing in mud, rocks or bare dirt as I have been a soldier and done that for seven years. My truck will be too new and nice to get nasty. Snow is relatively clean off-road.

Here is a link to a tracked Taco in snow-country action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmI8oJEYJmc

PS - I would have to forgo my future boat to cover the cost of the tracks and custom paint job on my Toyo
and the trailer to haul my tracks to the trailhead to boot.....

like it is said, you gotta pay to play!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #2
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
Those are really cool...I guess my two concerns is how expensive and how long to install and remove
Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
NWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedNWTacoGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: James
NWTacoGuy's Tacoma Gallery
LOL that setup looks like it costs more than my truck
Old 10-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hetkind View Post
Those are really cool...I guess my two concerns is how expensive and how long to install and remove
I have read that American Track Truck Dominators cost 1/3 the price of the Mattracks product per set and that each unit weighs 175 pounds and that one man can install the set in under one hour according to American Track Truck.

You may need a small trailer to get your tracks to the trail head.
No different than towing a boat or a snowmobile.

You can easily switch your truck back to a wheeled vehicle in under one hour too.

These tracks give you one recreational vehicle for all seasons. You need a 4x4 model for these to work.

Google "att dominator tracks".
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
I'd much rather have a sled...
Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rab89 View Post
I'd much rather have a sled...
If I had a sled, my two dogs would have to pull it instead of riding along coz a snowmobile ain't for packin' a zoo 'cept maybe a pocket ant farm!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 AM   #8
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
I saw these one tracks that you drive up onto and your tires spinning makes the tracks rotate. Looked pretty cool and really accessible
Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 AM   #10
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I think you'd be the first TW member to do it... :
Old 10-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
Gearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shedGearheadesw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gearheadesw's Tacoma Gallery
Have seen tracked trucks down here in Fl. running in the mud. That being said, your not into mud, they sucked in the mud. Could see them working well in snow tho
Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #12
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
and you think Mud Terrains will jack up your MPG..

do it! looks cool! but you get stuck "back there"..not much can come and rescue you.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
Get the sled. So much fun! Leave the dogs home for the day.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #15
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking into Mattracks for my 02 dodge dually. Then I found out that they cost $30-$45k for that truck
Old 10-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Horse View Post
x2.
Sorry, you two "I" guys.

If Rover and Holly don't go to the snow, I don't go to the snow.

Perhaps, I could forgo the tracks and have chains on hand for the wheeled Taco.
I could have snowshoes and the two pups could have leather "Buck boots"
like in the Jack London novel, Call of the Wild.

Or I could just get a little boy's snow sled and tie the dogs to it and go for a ride.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
I was looking into Mattracks for my 02 dodge dually. Then I found out that they cost $30-$45k for that truck
Go to the American Track Truck website and ask for a quote on Dominator tracks. A set for that rig might only be $10-$15 from them.

I admit, you would have to be one hard-core snow enthusiast to pony up for these as well as take out a home equity loan to get them maybe.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #18
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
have you considered buying a Tank to have fun in?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Panze...ht_1342wt_1085

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Military...-/80765/i.html
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmyrlebailey View Post
Go to the American Track Truck website and ask for a quote on Dominator tracks. A set for that rig might only be $10-$15 from them.

I admit, you would have to be one hard-core snow enthusiast to pony up for these as well as take out a home equity loan to get them maybe.
I don't have the dodge any more, but may look into the dominators for my Tacoma. Tax refund and maybe sell a few boom sticks. I am obsessed with snow, but I live in the Tulsa, OK area and don't see much snow. That being said, i spent 9 hours to travel 80 miles in an oklahoma snowstorm. I was in my dually which was a welding truck. It did great in the 1-2 feet of snow on the roads. I was having to go around plow trucks, military trucks, and just about every one else that tried to go out that day. The highways were shut down so I had to do some pretty intense off roading to get home. Tracks would make trips like that a bit more relaxing.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
JCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCBigler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JCBigler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
It did great in the 1-2 feet of snow on the roads. I was having to go around plow trucks, military trucks, and just about every one else that tried to go out that day. The highways were shut down so I had to do some pretty intense off roading to get home. Tracks would make trips like that a bit more relaxing.
February 2011? Yeah I remember that one well...not a fun week.