Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

While stuck, leave engine running or not?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
While stuck, leave engine running or not?

After seeing multiple threads about people getting stuck in ponds, i was just wondering if its best to leave the engine running(so water doesnt get sucked up the exhaust) or kill it(so water doesnt get sucked into the intake)?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: corey
precoma's Tacoma Gallery
i would think it would depend on the situation either nose in the water or rear end in the water obviously takes effect
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
I think If kind of depends on which way your facing and what mods you have done. But I know nothing of the matter
Old 10-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by precoma View Post
i would think it would depend on the situation either nose in the water or rear end in the water obviously takes effect
What about both? Lol like your exhaust is under water and your fan in your engine bay is kicking up water?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
precoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedprecoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

precoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
What about both? Lol like your exhaust is under water and your fan in your engine bay is kicking up water?
ummm i think your fucked either way

but i would think if your in that deep just turn it off and make sure to pull a spark plug and clean everything out under the engine before you try starting it once its out
Old 10-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by precoma View Post
ummm i think your fucked either way

but i would think if your in that deep just turn it off and make sure to pull a spark plug and clean everything out under the engine before you try starting it once its out
Lololol
Well i was just wondering and figured id ask and see what kinda answers people would bring.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
DerpWerx Fab

Like if this was you and you were stuck, engine running or kill it? Lol While stuck, leave engine running or not?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351296642.641050.jpg
Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #8

precoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Lololol
Well i was just wondering and figured id ask and see what kinda answers people would bring.
for sure i have never had my truck in that deep of water so i dont have that much experience but i did hydrolock my engine on my ford focus that i had before my truck, one rainy day on the freeway. a couple weeks later i bought my truck lol
Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Name: Brandon
senojeelnodnarb's Tacoma Gallery
If your fan is kicking up water your intake isnt always taking in the water. But if both (intake and exhaust) are under water, i would just kill the engine.
Id rather have water flow in the exhaust and go into maybe two cylinders than get forced in many.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
I was in this situation once. I left it running. I figured that "IF" i could get someone to come pull me out, i would want it running so that they don't get stuck trying to pull me out. I was also worried that the truck might not start again, leaving me stranded. I did suck a lot of water into the transmission through the breather, and I had to flush the whole system out. So far it's been fine. put like 20k miles on it since flushing it, part of that with hauling a loaded 6x12 u-haul. Now, it probably wouldn't have sucked as much water into the trans if it were off.... but i still think it would have because the ATF would have cooled, causing a vacuum effect that would have sucked water in. So either way I would have had to flush the system.

If you want to play in the water, you need to prepare yourself. Before i touch water, i'm rerouting all of my breathers way up high so that i don't need to do 4 different types of fluid changes. I'm personally going to invest in a winch too. Had I had a winch and high capacity battery I probably would have killed the engine just to be safe. I would also have needed a pull-pal though, since there were no trees (something else on my wish list).

I'm pretty sure that keeping the engine running caused my A/C clutch pulley bearing to go bad... so that's annoying.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
I left mine running nose down in a big mudhole. my exhaust was dry and intake was safe, but it wasn't worth the even slightest risk of hydrolock. the alternator was iffy for a few hours and I had to replace all the pulleys because of a nasty whine but otherwise I haven't notice any problems after about 1000 miles.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
I was with some guys who got their Tacoma stuck in a mud pit. They left it running and I plulled them out. Once out of the mud they shut it down and we inspected the damage. Not much damage. But then when trying to start the starter just clicked and would not start. Now they had to get towed all the way home.

In this case, leaving it running until they got home would be best.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Just don't try starting it if you do happen to turn it off. If you have to do a water crossing I would at least have someone attached at the other end to pull you back out if things happen to go wrong and you get stuck.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #14
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db View Post
I was with some guys who got their Tacoma stuck in a mud pit. They left it running and I plulled them out. Once out of the mud they shut it down and we inspected the damage. Not much damage. But then when trying to start the starter just clicked and would not start. Now they had to get towed all the way home.

That's why I want to do a manual swap....

Although, i've heard that if you use the clutch pedal while driving through water the clutch will stop working or something. Is that true? The narrator said that in an ARB snorkel promo vid. First time I had ever heard that.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
FBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFBGW01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kaleb
FBGW01's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say turn it off as fast as possible. Sucking water into intake=hydro locked! and lots of head aches. u can always get pulled back or towed home if u shut it off and it sits in water for less then wat a new engine will cost u if u leave it running. just my $.02
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db View Post

was that at gorman? i think i was there
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like if this was you and you were stuck, engine running or kill it? Lol Attachment 176888
Leave it running.....

You can't be 'too safe' than sorry.

And if it stalls on you... DO NOT TURN THE KEY!!!!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i found my self kinda in this a month or so back. but it was with the rhino and no the truck. the air intake on the rhino is up front and under the hood. once i new i was stuck i took it OUT of 4x4, so water would not splash up at all and maybe get into the air box, i had other people with me. i could not turn it off the exhaust was under water, and if i would have turned it off the back pressure would have sucked water in. i had to stay on the gas a little, at idal it wanted to die on me. once my buddy got me hooked up and started winching me out i put it back in 4x4. and i would do about the same in the truck, if i was in a that kinda situation.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like if this was you and you were stuck, engine running or kill it? Lol Attachment 176888
Airman Jamie
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #20
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Any vehicles I've ever got stuck or buddies who got stuck.... We left them running. And if the vehicle stalled - DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try to start the engine!!!!!!!!!

If you dive into a mud hole and shut the truck off - You'd better not even try to start it until you're on dry land and can open up the air box and pull the plugs _ just to make sure!!!! If there's any hint of water in your intake/engine and you start the engine - say BYE BYE to the truck!!!

I've seen it happen!!