Old 10-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
jonmyrlebailey is on a distinguished road
jonmyrlebailey's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think even aired-down beadlocks

would help traction much in snow country: check out these guys...trouble still
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as2XUy5r_7c
Old 10-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
That's really not even that deep. We do our winter wheeling here in much deeper. I had snow up over my hood last year and had to dig to get my winch out.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
jonmyrlebailey is on a distinguished road
jonmyrlebailey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
That's really not even that deep. We do our winter wheeling here in much deeper. I had snow up over my hood last year and had to dig to get my winch out.
I believe the snow vehicle should do all the work: not the driver or master.

Shovels and winches are not my cup of tea. It seems as tracked vehicles on known snow trails would not likely result in a relaxing drive turning into hard, manual labor as long as the driver is not a wild and crazy idiot.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd expect you'd be amazed how easily you can stuck a snowmobile.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #7
magog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud ofmagog45 has much to be proud of

magog45's Tacoma Gallery
Generally tall and skinny are better tires for snow but snow comes in many forms so that isn't always true. As with any wheeling situation driver skills are paramount, however the snow in that video wouldn't have presented much of an obstacle to my old buick electra.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmyrlebailey View Post
I believe the snow vehicle should do all the work: not the driver or master.

Shovels and winches are not my cup of tea. It seems as tracked vehicles on known snow trails would not likely result in a relaxing drive turning into hard, manual labor as long as the driver is not a wild and crazy idiot.
What ever floats your boat. I was simply stating that the snow they were driving in is not that deep. I get more in my drive way. And yes airing down helps at least with the tires I use.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
C2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shedC2T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 313th MI BN, 82nd Airborne
Name: Richard
C2T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmyrlebailey View Post
would help traction much in snow country: check out these guys...trouble still
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as2XUy5r_7c

Airing down your tires does help a great deal when running in deep snow. It creates a larger contact patch of tread which gives both better grip and a wider track to help keep you (hopefully) on top of the snow. I wheel in deep snow a LOT! It is not uncommon for me and my fellow club members to be on top of 3-4-6 feet of snow or more. Don’t get me wrong…it does not make it easy going but generally those who don’t air down considerably will end up left way behind.

Thin tires cut into the snow so if you are running in 1 foot of snow on the roadway you may be better off with skinny tires. However, when you simply NEEDto get on top to make the trip, a bit wider tire aired down to 3-4-5 pounds of air will help a BUNCH. Don't think it will make you run like on pavement but with some technique you can do great things.

In this pic (see link), though I am cutting into the powder a good bit, whatyou can’t see is my tires are actually still on top of about 3 feet of hard pack.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.283565581696689.70924.152476354805613&type= 1&l=62ba24e65c
Old 11-02-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I'd expect you'd be amazed how easily you can stuck a snowmobile.
Tue. there is certainly a skill to sledding in the deep. It is a beautiful thing when you figure it out