Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Self Recovery Advice

Old 01-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
gonzo6up has a spectacular aura aboutgonzo6up has a spectacular aura about

gonzo6up's Tacoma Gallery
Self Recovery Advice

I'm looking for some advice on some basic self recovery items that i would need in case i get stuck by myself. I don't off-road by myself but one of my hobbies (arrowhead hunting) takes me through some rough terrain sometimes( logging roads/ creeks) I usally always have a buddy with me so i not to concerned about the saftey issue of being alone but we are always in one truck. I know the obvious would be to get a winch but that's not in the budget yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a cheap come along until the funds are available for a decent winch. I also suggest carrying some small sections of 6x10 board (2' to 4'). Placed infront of the wheels, they can give you enough traction to crawl out of ruts or muddy holes. It is also good to carry a recovery strap and/or a long chain.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
No matter where you go there you are.
taco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco084gb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Galen
taco084gb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo6up View Post
I'm looking for some advice on some basic self recovery items that i would need in case i get stuck by myself. I don't off-road by myself but one of my hobbies (arrowhead hunting) takes me through some rough terrain sometimes( logging roads/ creeks) I usally always have a buddy with me so i not to concerned about the saftey issue of being alone but we are always in one truck. I know the obvious would be to get a winch but that's not in the budget yet. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Here is a little info.
Get a set of chains for the rear and practice putting them on at home first. This will help ya understand how they go on easier if your stuck in the mud. Chains will help ya get out of a lot of muck where as tires just spin. Keep a pair of channel locks to tighten the chains unless you get cam lock type chains. Make sure you get the heavy duty off road chains because they are designed for heavy off road use.
Then get a hilift jack and some long straps and or chain. The hilift jack can be used as a winch, slow but affective.Also get some shackles for attaching the chain or straps. Also if your stuck in mud or sand try to find hard objects like brush, branches or logs to get under your tires for traction.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
I am the Sofa King
harshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shedharshest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

harshest's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe try a come along. One end to the truck, one end to a tree and lots of elbow grease.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #6

cool guys, i'll pick up either a come-along or a high lift jack for now. i already have the chains. thanks for the info.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
if you're going to get a com-a-long, i highly reccommend these: http://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp

USA built, tough as hell and has parts availible for all 27 pounds of it.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Seniore Marcos
Snyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant futureSnyperx has a brilliant future
Snyperx's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Snyperx Send a message via Yahoo to Snyperx Send a message via Skype™ to Snyperx
Tree strap would be a good thing to grab as well. Didn't see that mentioned.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
petersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shedpetersharp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
petersharp's Tacoma Gallery
There's an art to using a Hi-Lift as a winch - you'll be needing 2 chains or at least one chain and a non-stretching strap. Do some practicing at home before you're knee-deep in mud!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #12

thanks for all the good links and info. all i need to get is a high lift jack and some shackles and i should be ready to go.