Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

arb vs wheelers strap

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoskim's Tacoma Gallery
arb vs wheelers strap

whats the difference besides the price of the arb recovery strap compared to the wheerlers strap. is it mainly because the arb one is up to 17500lbs and the wheelers one is up to 13500 lbs?
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoskim View Post
whats the difference besides the price of the arb recovery strap compared to the wheerlers strap. is it mainly because the arb one is up to 17500lbs and the wheelers one is up to 13500 lbs?
probably. having "ARB" written on it somewhere 'prolly adds to the cost as well.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #3
Tuned By Gadget
tacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoskim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

figures, thanks
Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
Rene, that strap i pulled you up that hill with in ocotillo, i bought from walmart i dont remember how much i paid tho
Old 01-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Tuned By Gadget

good to know thanks nick. ill check walmart out, wheelers has it for 39 bucks with free shipping
Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think it was around 20-25$ but i think the rating is only like 10kor something
Old 01-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
╒╪╕

I saw on another thread there are some good deals for straps on amazon too
Old 01-22-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Tuned By Gadget

yea just checked that out, hell yea they do!
Old 01-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
Tuned By Gadget

hey nick i remember urs was a little wide, is urs the 4" wide one or the 3" one?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
╒╪╕

Mine is only 2" wide
Old 01-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
╒╪╕

Here ya go... 40k lb bad boy...

Old 01-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Tuned By Gadget

hahaha, 4 inches definitely aint gonna fit
Old 01-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
╒╪╕

I went ahead and got the 2" 10k lb strap because i dont really see myself ever needing 30-40lbs...

last time i went to pismo, a friend of mine pulled my toy hauler up with his mega cab and he needed a little help gettin thru the soft sand so i hooked up to him with my 2 incher and pulled him right along. he wasnt "stuck" he just needed the extra pull. The trailer had a jeep and 2 quads in it too.. that same weekend i pulled out a lifted chevy that was buried to the frame. no probs there. Then i pulled you @ ocotillo. these are the only times ive used the 2 incher
Old 01-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Tuned By Gadget

niiice, yea im either gonna get the 2 incher or the 3. still shoppin around, so many deals
Old 01-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
╒╪╕

Also, the 2 incer fits nicely under the rear seat, with my tie downs & bungee cords
Old 01-23-2009, 11:25 AM   #17
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
that strap is too big for your truck.

you want a strap that is going to stretch 30-40% that way you get good kinetic build up in the strap prior to it bouncing you out of those stuck situations and take up a bunch of the shock. the best strap for our trucks is a 2" x 25 - 30' strap with 30 odd % stretch. you want approx 5 x the GVWR of the truck doing the pulling so 12-16 ton WLL is about right for us. you just wont get the boing out of that fat assed strap. the reason ARB are more is that they can handle repeated loading up to their WLL and will recover back to their original shape fairly quickly. a cheaper strap is going to get streched out and wont recover back to their original shape after only a few limit working loadings. then you will have a dead strap that wont bungie you out of those stuck situations nearly as well and will not take the shock of any hard yanks.
X2. there are "tow" straps and there are "recovery" straps. shock load is hard on stuff and may break your recovery point.

i have a 2" x 30' that i ordered specially from a sling manufacturer we distribute for at work. $20.00 already paid for itself twice. people around here don't know how to drive in the snow. $20 for me to pull you out of the ditch, or $60 for a tow. hope we get some more...i love supplimental income.

Products Discussed in this Thread