Notices

San Diego Newbie

Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
BleachyFooo is on a distinguished road

Navy: Electronics Technician 3rd Class
Name: Michael
BleachyFooo's Tacoma Gallery
San Diego Newbie

I just recently purchased my first truck that has 4x4 and now I have the itch to get out and use it. I am not looking for anything difficult or that has the potential to total my truck. After doing some reading online and here on TW I have found a few trails here in San Diego that I think would suit my skill level. I have never been off-roading in my life. My intention this weekend is to possibly give Otay Mountain Truck Trail a go.

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Otay_Mountain_Truck_Trail

Is this a mistake being that it is my first time? Or is there a better place that someone can recommended?

Any tips on what to look out for, what to bring, etc.....
Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Anything labeled as 'easy' would be like driving a normal road for a Tacoma. FYI. I've never been there though, sorry. Always gas up right before getting on the trail though, and bring plenty of food and water and alternate means of communication just in case you get stuck or hurt. Seeing as it is easy, its likely just a dirt road though.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
You could try this thread or one of the threads more local to you
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...-s-thread.html
Old 12-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to Pine Valley Corral Canyon in a week or two . The main trail is easy enough, might get some pin stripping on that new clear coat tho.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleachyFooo View Post
I just recently purchased my first truck that has 4x4 and now I have the itch to get out and use it. I am not looking for anything difficult or that has the potential to total my truck. After doing some reading online and here on TW I have found a few trails here in San Diego that I think would suit my skill level. I have never been off-roading in my life. My intention this weekend is to possibly give Otay Mountain Truck Trail a go.

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Otay_Mountain_Truck_Trail

Is this a mistake being that it is my first time? Or is there a better place that someone can recommended?

Any tips on what to look out for, what to bring, etc.....
Welcome to TW Michael, now get your butt over to the SoCal section of forum, go to the San Diego BS thread & post up your plans, we'll pop your cherry for ya.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
I am going to Pine Valley Corral Canyon in a week or two . The main trail is easy enough, might get some pin stripping on that new clear coat tho.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

& dont listen to this guy, he'll take you up Bronco Peak or some other truck eating trail......

j/k
Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
General Calamari
YouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shedYouNext is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YouNext's Tacoma Gallery
Otay Truck Trail is a cool place. I haven't been there this year, but last I remember they're starting to pave the main path. The trail features plenty of tangents to run up and around, and a few hills to climb. There are a few select tangents that are on the dangerous side but scope out before you turn out and you should be fine.

PM me if you plan on going anytime soon, I just might go with you...