Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Anybody else reinforce their skid plates?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody else reinforce their skid plates?

Well i suppose if you've been offroading enough you've managed to high center yourself just like i have. I've done this several times now and managed to cave in my ATO tcase skid plate to within approx. 1/2" of the tcase itself.

Here are some examples...

I was left with this...

I slammed the truck hard enough to break the weld as well...

So needless to say i've had to straighten the skid out a couple times since then.

I decided to talk with a buddy and figured now would be good time for lessons in welding and to make this skid even stronger since it seems to take the most abuse. Thats not to say this armor ain't strong enough because i assure you it is, but i've pushed my truck quite hard a few times and am simply getting what i deserve.

I bought some scrap 1/4" x 2" flat bar from a local steel company and ended up with this...

My friend and I also plated each corner of the cross brace so that hopefully i won't crack it again and will extra strength. I'll take a pic tomorrow to show that as well.

Has anyone else reinforced their skids? I haven't slammed the truck down on it very hard since its been reinstalled on the truck but i'll be sure to let everyone know how it holds up. I'm hoping by reinforcing this skid just made it a helluva lot more stronger and able to withstand any punishment i can throw at it.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd have gone with angle iron but that works!

I've seen some similar stuff.

Personally I think the Relentless t-case skid would hold up best.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Does Relentless use 1/4" steel or just designed slightly differently than ATO's?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
It's 3/16 but designed much differently. All sorts of bends. Definitely the strongest skid on my truck.

Nice work though.