Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Belt Driven Air Compressor a.k.a. Unlimited On-Board Air

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Great job.

Make sure the tank has a provision for draining, and drain that tank every night after the compressor is used.

Rusted tanks are bombs and even 20psi can kill you.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
^
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
Thanks guys!

This one: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt...sor-69285.html

It was damaged (hose cut) in the packaging and I got it for free a few years ago. I had it hardwired and permanently mounted in the driver side bed storage box thing. You can actually still see the mounting holes in the pic of the air tank. It did ok with 285's, but took forever on the 315's. They're hit or miss. Mine lasted while some crap out after their first use.
Same lil' electric compressor I have, pretty happy with it honestly. This is an awesome mod though! You'd probably generate some interest fabricating some more of those mounting brackets.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Same lil' electric compressor I have, pretty happy with it honestly. This is an awesome mod though! You'd probably generate some interest fabricating some more of those mounting brackets.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #25
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
My compressor doesn't take more than a few minutes per tire, but my compressor puts out about twice the cfm that your HF one did, and my tires are a bit smaller. haha 255/85/16.

Now for my question? When are you mass producing these things? Or at least building one for me. haha I am pretty positive I am not that talented...
Old 12-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #26
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
i got a major itch (no not that kind) for boarding, so with the upcoming snowfall my loyalties lie with my board, but maybe the weekend after if you're free we should get some trucks together

my compressor could use a break
Yeah, this weekend is the wife's birthday. I think she'd shoot me if I went out wheeling, haha. Maybe next weekend though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Great job.

Make sure the tank has a provision for draining, and drain that tank every night after the compressor is used.
Thanks! I was also planning to the paint the inside of the tank as well. I haven't decided what to do about a drain plug since the drain plug would then become the lowest part of the bumper. It would be a HC bumper with an ulcer looking thing on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
My compressor doesn't take more than a few minutes per tire, but my compressor puts out about twice the cfm that your HF one did, and my tires are a bit smaller. haha 255/85/16.

Now for my question? When are you mass producing these things? Or at least building one for me. haha I am pretty positive I am not that talented...
There's only one problem with mass producing these brackets - the bracket has to be built around the compressor you put in the truck. If the compressor used is consistent, then that's perfect. If not, then the design and mounting holes would have to be tweaked for each install.

I am more than willing to help out anyone with this project if they want it on their truck. However, it'd be a little difficult if their truck wasn't local. I honestly believe that anyone who has the necessary tools, ability to use them, a bit of creativity, and the time necessary can do this. The nice part of this mod in regards to the time necessary was that the truck was never inoperable. So I could work on it as I had the time available.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #27
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
There's only one problem with mass producing these brackets - the bracket has to be built around the compressor you put in the truck. If the compressor used is consistent, then that's perfect. If not, then the design and mounting holes would have to be tweaked for each install.

I am more than willing to help out anyone with this project if they want it on their truck. However, it'd be a little difficult if their truck wasn't local. I honestly believe that anyone who has the necessary tools, ability to use them, a bit of creativity, and the time necessary can do this. The nice part of this mod in regards to the time necessary was that the truck was never inoperable. So I could work on it as I had the time available.
I meant the entire system, not just the brackets haha but I understand that would be pretty hard. Can only find so many of the right kind of compressors around.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #28
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I meant the entire system, not just the brackets haha but I understand that would be pretty hard. Can only find so many of the right kind of compressors around.
Haha, it could be arranged. You coming to Denver anytime soon.

Actually, there's a ton of these compressors around. I was really suprised at how common they were and still are. Based on the list of vehicles in that link in the write-up, I would guess that about 1/3 of all pickups, vans, and suv's sold in the US between 1988 - 2000 had the style of compressor I used mounted in them and some cars too. If the pulley on the compressor isn't for a 7-rib belt, then you just need to get that seperately and swap it out. You can even buy these compressors new at the parts counter of just about any auto parts store. Though you'll pay a lot for it plus a core charge.

I will say that most of these compressors will not have the right pulley on it. I got a list of all the vehicles that were at the local salvage yard, then figured out which ones had a sanden and which ones had the right pulley. I only found three at that yard. They were all dodge.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #29

Quote:
Haha, it could be arranged. You coming to Denver anytime soon.

Actually, there's a ton of these compressors around. I was really suprised at how common they were and still are. Based on the list of vehicles in that link in the write-up, I would guess that about 1/3 of all pickups, vans, and suv's sold in the US between 1988 - 2000 had the style of compressor I used mounted in them and some cars too. If the pulley on the compressor isn't for a 7-rib belt, then you just need to get that seperately and swap it out. You can even buy these compressors new at the parts counter of just about any auto parts store. Though you'll pay a lot for it plus a core charge.

I will say that most of these compressors will not have the right pulley on it. I got a list of all the vehicles that were at the local salvage yard, then figured out which ones had a sanden and which ones had the right pulley. I only found three at that yard. They were all dodge.
I wish I was coming to Denver soon. haha. I'm pretty sure I could install the system, I just can't fab the brackets, and not sure if I could modify the compressor. haha. That and funds are a little low right now. I've got bumpers and skids coming.

I love the idea though!! Now you need to figure out a good hand throttle to help out the compressor and for when you are winching
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #30

Quote:
I wish I was coming to Denver soon. haha. I'm pretty sure I could install the system, I just can't fab the brackets, and not sure if I could modify the compressor. haha. That and funds are a little low right now. I've got bumpers and skids coming.

I love the idea though!! Now you need to figure out a good hand throttle to help out the compressor and for when you are winching
My hand throttle is a piece of 1x2 lumber cut to the right length to wedge between the seat and gas pedal. Keepin it simple...
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #31

Quote:
My hand throttle is a piece of 1x2 lumber cut to the right length to wedge between the seat and gas pedal. Keepin it simple...
Nice! haha That works
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #32
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, this weekend is the wife's birthday. I think she'd shoot me if I went out wheeling, haha. Maybe next weekend though.

Thanks! I was also planning to the paint the inside of the tank as well. I haven't decided what to do about a drain plug since the drain plug would then become the lowest part of the bumper. It would be a HC bumper with an ulcer looking thing on the bottom.

Tell the wife (although I have never met her) Happy Birthday!

On the drain plug you could always recess a flush mount bolt maybe?

I think I know of one more install calling your name.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #33
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
since someone mentioned hand throttle - I had two different ones; one was just a cheap choke cable I put a spacer under the knob to keep it out at the right rpm and the other was a complete universal throttle cable for a lawnmower with the ratchet mechanism
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsakeeper View Post
since someone mentioned hand throttle - I had two different ones; one was just a cheap choke cable I put a spacer under the knob to keep it out at the right rpm and the other was a complete universal throttle cable for a lawnmower with the ratchet mechanism
Yeah, I made one on a friends jeep in high school out of a brake lever from a mountain bike. It worked pretty well. Since these newer trucks are throttle by wire (as far as I've heard/seen), I didn't even want to try and dive into that. I had the 1x2 just sitting in my garage. I was looking around and was like "hey, this'll work. done!"

Does anyone know of an actual legit hand throttle for the taco?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #36
itsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the sheditsakeeper is one of the sharper tools in the shed
itsakeeper's Tacoma Gallery
I thought I read about a mod involving the cruise control; not specifically for a Taco but I don't remember the detail - googling now
Old 12-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Yeah, I made one on a friends jeep in high school out of a brake lever from a mountain bike. It worked pretty well. Since these newer trucks are throttle by wire (as far as I've heard/seen), I didn't even want to try and dive into that. I had the 1x2 just sitting in my garage. I was looking around and was like "hey, this'll work. done!"

Does anyone know of an actual legit hand throttle for the taco?
I did some searching a while back and never found one... Probably beyond most of our means to build too, since it would have to be a little device like the maf cals and speedo calibrators. Probably really tricky to do too because of all the double checks there are in the throttle systems to keep them from doing something crazy.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #39

Quote:
I did some searching a while back and never found one... Probably beyond most of our means to build too, since it would have to be a little device like the maf cals and speedo calibrators. Probably really tricky to do too because of all the double checks there are in the throttle systems to keep them from doing something crazy.
Yeah, could be dangerous and cause unintended acceloration...
Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Yeah, could be dangerous and cause unintended acceloration...
Good think my Tacoma comes with brakes cuz God forbid I should have to shift into Neutral... or even worse turn the ignition off

Products Discussed in this Thread