Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Belt Driven Air Compressor a.k.a. Unlimited On-Board Air

Old 12-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #61
Future President
Spencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpencer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TIGGLEBITTIES
Spencer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I've got the same question about how picked your compressor as Spencer, I don't mind using junk yard parts so much as I've got an older, dirtier truck but I need to know what I'm lookin for before I go buyin a bunch till I find one that fits.. Obviously.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-air-saga.html

Thanks to this thread, I started (barely) this project. I've done about all I can before I pull the trigger on the compressor, but I did a ton of research on exactly which compressor will work and hopefully give you the least amount of trouble.
take a look at my thread for the homework side, and use this thread for the actual fabrication side. once life calms down for me, Ill tackle this project and maybe make a sticky- worthy writeup.
good luck!
Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #62
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Wow this is a well thought out mod, props to you for taking time to apply this to your truck! Awesome job. You mentioned using a bumper as an air tank, that would be killer! hope to see it
Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #63
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Wow this is a well thought out mod, props to you for taking time to apply this to your truck! Awesome job. You mentioned using a bumper as an air tank, that would be killer! hope to see it
The bumper air tank never worked out. I could only get it to hold about 80 psi before I started hearing hissing around a few of my welds. It is possible and it's certainly been done before. I just don't have that much experience welding yet. The bumper held up great in moab though. Even tugged a jeep up a 6 foot wall while he was in 2wd (broken front axle) and had his e-brake on, haha.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #64
crooks420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
crooks420's Tacoma Gallery
A word of advice/ caution: have your bracket(s) re-welded by an experienced welder... Would not be good if that air compressor got loose or broke off while driving...

just a thought.

Jesse
Old 02-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #65
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks420 View Post
A word of advice/ caution: have your bracket(s) re-welded by an experienced welder... Would not be good if that air compressor got loose or broke off while driving...

just a thought.

Jesse
I appreciate the thought, but I'm not worried about those welds holding. I subsequently built a bedrack and a set of bumpers. The welds on my bumpers have held up to towing and winching without any issues.

These were my first actual welding project (i.e. not very pretty welds), but they're plenty solid. Before putting those brackets together, I cut apart many practice welds to inspect them and tested numerous welds with a 20-ton press.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:20 PM   #66
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
I appreciate the thought, but I'm not worried about those welds holding. I subsequently built a bedrack and a set of bumpers. The welds on my bumpers have held up to towing and winching without any issues.

These were my first actual welding project (i.e. not very pretty welds), but they're plenty solid. Before putting those brackets together, I cut apart many practice welds to inspect them and tested numerous welds with a 20-ton press.
Did you make me one of these yet Ben?
Old 02-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #67
crooks420 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jesse
crooks420's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post

Ok... Good to hear. Sometimes a weld looks ok, but lacks any real penetration..... I have seen welds break due to fatigue (vibration), and just bad welding technique.

Jesse