Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Hi-lift jacks and winching

Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
barker14's Tacoma Gallery
Hi-lift jacks and winching

I am looking into getting a hi-lift extreme 48" jack in the near future. I have been doing some looking around and watching some videos on them. I don't do a whole lot of wheeling at the moment with my truck but it is becoming something I like to do more and more often. My question is about the winching capability of the hi-lifts. I know you can winch with them and that they are rated to 7000 lbs. will that be enough to get me out of trouble? I eventually plan on buying/building a set of bumpers for my truck but I don't plan on buying a winch. I don't have the money and don't really want the extra weight.

Just looking for some input from anyone who has used their hi-lift for pulling and winching.

Cheers,
Adam
Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Winching with a hi-lift takes forever. It really is a PITA but it works. If you get a 60" then you don't have to reset the jack as much.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
Winching with a hi-lift takes forever. It really is a PITA but it works. If you get a 60" then you don't have to reset the jack as much.
X2 had todo when my buddy got stuck in mud
Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
If it is all you have, you can get a truck off high center but as far as any distance, you may want to have your buddy hit you with it for thinking that you had a mud bogger. That may be the best reminder that a winch is very valuable.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
I'm only two wheel drive so when it comes to mud my wheels just spin. I try to use the hi lift winch method as a last resort
Old 12-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #7
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Most of the time I will be with someone else anyways and can just use my tow strap. But for the occasional time I try something I should not while I'm by myself I need to know it could get me out of a bind. I usually don't attempt anything I don't think the truck can handle. At least when I'm by myself
Old 12-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Mount Sannine is on a distinguished road

Mount Sannine's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.maxtrax.com.au/
Old 12-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
If it is all you have, you can get a truck off high center but as far as any distance, you may want to have your buddy hit you with it for thinking that you had a mud bogger. That may be the best reminder that a winch is very valuable.
this^^^^^
i tried winching myself out of a situation and ended up getting help from another truck....
when i got home i ordered a winch.....
that being said for a mild stuck it will work...with time and effort.....
i recomend getting a lever for it as well.....
good luck
Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
sexual ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mount Sannine View Post
These look like a good idea. But there's no way I would pay 300 bucks for two pieces of plastic. Gives me an idea for something I could make up at work... Hmm.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember to follow the instructions and use the right equipment. It can be fairly dangerous to winch with a highlift jack.
Good luck
Old 12-23-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
Esteem is on a distinguished road

Esteem's Tacoma Gallery
another option...
http://www.google.com/#q=come+along+...w=1280&bih=685
Old 12-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
sexual ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteem View Post
I do have a good 2 1/2 ton set of come alongs. If I pair that with a snatch block I could have enough pulling power to get it out. And without having to reset it as much as with the hi-lift... Hmm.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #14
BlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really niceBlindingWhiteTac. is just really nice
Name: Thomas
BlindingWhiteTac.'s Tacoma Gallery
I plan on using my high lift for winching, but only as a last resort. If I was off road all the time in real questionable places I would just get a winch.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Those MaxTrax devices are a reminder that you can often find stuff to put under the tires to build trail in order to get out of trouble. Rocks and tree branches work really well. So does airing down.

Some people say that carpet works too. Never tried that.

Sand ladders are what the MaxTrax are based on. If you really want those, they're a lot cheaper. Plus, you can make "bridges" with them. Be careful cause you can spit them out the back

I have a winch. I'm not saying don't carry one but I've pulled more tree stumps or pulled other people than I've used it to rescue myself.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
sexual ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Those MaxTrax devices are a reminder that you can often find stuff to put under the tires to build trail in order to get out of trouble. Rocks and tree branches work really well. So does airing down.

Some people say that carpet works too. Never tried that.

Sand ladders are what the MaxTrax are based on. If you really want those, they're a lot cheaper. Plus, you can make "bridges" with them. Be careful cause you can spit them out the back

I have a winch. I'm not saying don't carry one but I've pulled more tree stumps or pulled other people than I've used it to rescue myself.
Good point. In this region the best recovery device might just be the chainsaw haha. I usually don't put myself into situations I can't get out of with 4x4 and rear diff lock but occasionally you miss-judge how deep that muck is...
Old 12-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #17
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by barker14 View Post
Good point. In this region the best recovery device might just be the chainsaw haha. I usually don't put myself into situations I can't get out of with 4x4 and rear diff lock but occasionally you miss-judge how deep that muck is...
Exactly.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #18
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely about equal for pulling myself out vs pulling other out. The only time Ive ever need the hilift was when I was installing my lift kit and need a second jack. haha (yes I also used jack stands)
Old 12-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #19

ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, I've lifted the truck to put stuff under the wheels (high centered in Death Valley). And I've lifter others to repair tires. Eventually, I will need it for myself. Definitely better to have stuff and not need it than not have it.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
Banned
snlc is on a distinguished road
snlc's Tacoma Gallery
get the 60"