Notices

what should i buy for my saty to the desert

Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #1
No Rangers Here is on a distinguished road

Army: Apache helicopter repairman 15R
Name: jordan
No Rangers Here's Tacoma Gallery
what should i buy for my saty to the desert

this summer I am staying in the deseret for 5 days with my brother (12 years old) what supplies do i need we are sleeping in my 3.4 double cab v6 and i want to know what i should bring. 3 of the 5 days i wont have a fire so preferably easy to cook food and make food
what i have so far is 2 cases of water and extra gas can.thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Anytime I go camping I'm over prepared, plan your meals, and you'll know what you need to prepare those meals, what are you sleeping in/under, what weather will you expect, protection against wildlife, first aid, what you need to entertain yourself and a 12yr old, and all your extras that you may or may not need, tarps, rope, duct tape, pocket knife, fire starting supplies, fire extinguishing supplies, containers to keep everything safe and dry, the more anal and the better prepared you are the more enjoyable the trip will be, think about every detail, what you need to cook a meal, eat a meal, and clean after a meal, write down everything you can think of so you have a pre trip chek list, and remember food left out will attract unwanted visitors, I spend a lot of time in the mountains in my truck and love every minute of it, but you wouldn't believe how something like forgetting a pan to wash dishes or dish soap in will ruin a trip
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
What ^^^ said

Every trip I have a few lists. I have a camping checklist that I use every time whether it's 1 day or a week, which should cover everything from TP to flashlights to propane to egg holders.

Then when I know what days we're camping I make a meal plan (Mon: Breakfast, lunch, dinner) etc.. and fill it with things I know we can make camping. Bacon wrapped hotdogs, hamburgers, scrambled eggs and sauage, pancakes, sandwiches, steaks etc. Then I make a food/grocery list off of that (don't forget drinks) and I use that list to buy food and pack/recheck cooler before we leave. I have the lists saved on the computer and phone but it's pretty much in my head by now.

As you packing the truck go through the lists and you're good to go. Even if you google sites "what to pack camping" a lot of sites will have basic lists you can expand on.

12 year old, definitely don't forget extra batteries, chargers for all his stuff.

I don't have lists for recovery gear like straps and shackles and such because they are always in the car anyways.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
What area are you heading to? The desert can be very brutal in the summer. The winters are the only time most people go for extended camping trips.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
What area are you heading to? The desert can be very brutal in the summer. The winters are the only time most people go for extended camping trips.
I assumed CA based of where he lived. If he picks the right week he should be fine, we 've been having mild summers (nothing like AZ) with the exception of a couple weeks.

Funnily enough, last summer (about a week in July) we planned a trip through AZ, UT, NV, and back home to CA and it was never above 80 degrees until we landed in Vegas.. it was a nice 75 most of the time in AZ.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If he heads south to the Anza borrego, then the days are going to be hot.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #7

you are correct our summers have been pretty chill but it can get hot and im leaving in the early part of summer thank you guys sooo much for all the great advice
All the recover gear i have is a tow strap and a shovel what else do i need ?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #8

anything else
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Mountain House freeze dried food is pretty tasty and easy to make with just some hot water boiled over a Coleman stove.

I'm an Apple Valley native. What area were you planning on camping?

P.S. I hope your screen name refers to the Ford product. Otherwise, we won't be on speaking terms anymore.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #10
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
For recovery gear you'll also want some kind of traction aid like a few strips of carpet invade you get into some loose sand, and don't forget your phone charger
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #11

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Gas stove
Extra gas
Pots and pans
Spatula, large spoon, bread knife, large knife
Forks, knives, spoons
Plates, drinking glasses
Large pot for cleaning
Cooler
Dish detergent
Fresh water (lots)

Tent
Air mattress
Sleeping bags, blankets
Pillows
Tarps
Rope
Duct tape
Lantern
Flashlight
Axe, shovel
First aid kit
Pocket knife
GPS, compass
Bear spray
Fire starting supplies

Socket set
Tire repair kit
Jack
Recovery kit
Spare fuses
Spare spark plugs
Flares
12v air compressor
Cell phone and car charger

This should get you started, I also collect dryer lint and put it in a zip lock bag, it works great for starting fires, I try to keep everything in weather proof containers, and remember to store your food in your cab and dispose of any left over food so you don't attract animals
Old 12-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #12

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah, lots of toilet paper
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #13

i am definitely talking about fords and i don't know where yet i was going to ask you guys where would be fun to just drive out and camp?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Rangers Here View Post
i am definitely talking about fords and i don't know where yet i was going to ask you guys where would be fun to just drive out and camp?
You live in Apple Valley, CA? Everything is near you. Johnson Valley, Calico, Giant Rock is cool.. You could even take the back way to Big Bear.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Weapon Mechanic
Maticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaticuno is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Ranger, Firearms Instructor, Firearms Inspector
Maticuno's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
You live in Apple Valley, CA? Everything is near you. Johnson Valley, Calico, Giant Rock is cool.. You could even take the back way to Big Bear.
In a PM I gave him directions on how to find 3N14 to take up to Big Bear. Also told him how to find the Stoddard Valley OHV area.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #16

you guys are awesome
Old 01-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #17
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Rangers Here View Post
you guys are awesome

Stop by the BLM office and get maps of the area you will be camping/exploring

Make a trip plan (where you are going, what you will be doing and when you plan to return)

Leave a trip plan and copy of the maps with your route marked with someone responsible

Plan check in phone calls/times/locations with someone responsible

Stay out of old mine shafts

Have fun, and report back on your adventure.