Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Winch tensioning

Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. DTOM
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
Winch tensioning

I've been working on tenioning my new winch today and I had the hardest time to get the coils to align correctly after one layer was spooled. The fairlead wouldn't let the cable reach the sides of the spool and I hate that it wouldn't be right. Not to mention that the winch is installed in the bumper so I can't really do anything along the lines of directly guiding the line in. What should I do? B/C for now it's sitting as a birdsnest...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Without seeing what the setup looks like it is hard to tell. In the past when I have respooled my winches I usually just connect the hook to another vehicle and then do a dead pull in neutral to maintain a good tension on the cable, then use a large screwdriver and gloves to help it along.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have weight on the end of the winch? I normally use the wife's jeep as an anchor, put the truck in neutral, and have her drag the brakes slightly as I guide the winch line onto the drum.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Without seeing what the setup looks like it is hard to tell. In the past when I have respooled my winches I usually just connect the hook to another vehicle and then do a dead pull in neutral to maintain a good tension on the cable, then use a large screwdriver and gloves to help it along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Do you have weight on the end of the winch? I normally use the wife's jeep as an anchor, put the truck in neutral, and have her drag the brakes slightly as I guide the winch line onto the drum.

x2, this is how did it without issue...
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post

Damn Bill, i can't stop watching your sig!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I think he's saying his fairlead won't let the cable spool onto the sides of the drum making it go on haphazardly.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #7

Is it the proper fairlead for that particular winch maybe?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. DTOM
xaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shedxaqori is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zac
xaqori's Tacoma Gallery
It's a new m8000 with the roller fairlead that came with it. It seems the fairleadf itself is too narrow...it's narrower than the spool it seems
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaqori View Post
It's a new m8000 with the roller fairlead that came with it. It seems the fairleadf itself is too narrow...it's narrower than the spool it seems
Ok, i've got the same winch and fairlead as you and just checked my truck to see whats up. My fairlead is also more narrow than the spool itself by about an 1" on each side. I never had any issues spooling it with tension on it tho.

Have you followed some of the advice in this thread yet?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
My husband and I would respool the winch after every time we'd use it - when we'd get home.

The winch was on the Jeep.... We'd unspool the cable and hook it up to the 96 tacoma. Tacoma in Neutral while I was in the tacoma applying the brakes slightly for some resistance/load. He would guide it in....