Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Winch, mounted on winch carrier, storage box?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Winch, mounted on winch carrier, storage box?

I've been looking for a storage box for my winch. It's a Superwinch lp8500 mounted on a Curt cradle. The assembly has a tube for attaching via a tow hitch, front and rear. I have yet to find a box to store the assy. that isn't grossly oversized. Any suggestions?

Leaving it mounted is not an option and negates the reasons I have this setup. It needs to be strong enough to be strapped down, on trail, and have carry handles.

I'm leaning toward making one myself.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
jaunty is on a distinguished road
jaunty's Tacoma Gallery
I will be there soon..

I was thinking of finding a bed toolbox thats deep enough. Then somehow securing it to the bottom of that. interesting to see what you figure out.

quick off topic question, how did you run your winch wiring to the rear? im currently looking into truckandwinch.com's tuff stuff quick connect to use on my recon 12.5K winch.

cheers
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #4

I used a cutoff switch and welding leads to the front and rear. Quick disconnects for both, and a battery terminal lug in the rear tool cubby.

Right now, I just strap the winch down. It's not as secure as I'd like. I looked on the government liquidation site for Pelican-style boxes, but the ones that work are too large to be handled by one person.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just mount a reciever hitch in bed of truck like I did for my winch....safe secure and put a. Over on it
Old 01-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

like this....there is more in my build thread
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM   #7

That might be an option. I need to figure out a way to make it easily removable, and in the back of the bed. Crawling to the front, with the cap on, ain't easy with a load of gear.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
BIG DADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
That might be an option. I need to figure out a way to make it easily removable, and in the back of the bed. Crawling to the front, with the cap on, ain't easy with a load of gear.
mount it in rear of bed all i did was drilled 4 holes through composite bed and put fender washers on the underside.......
3 years i had it like that and no problems.....
just an idea for ya.....
its not fun when u stuck in the middle of a mud field and it has to come out and be installed and wires connected under the hood and such either but....
when u need it you will be glad you have it......
i miss my rear winching capabilities....
i am going to install one in my rear bumper next spring....