Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

How well does our traction control work?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
How well does our traction control work?

It has helped me not have to put my truck in 4wd on a snowy road, but how well does it help off road? I havent really taken my truck offroad much and this is the first vehicle I have had with trac/auto lsd.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
traction control actually sucks a bit offroad if it is killing the throttle on you

there are tons of spots while crawling you need to spin a little bit
in dirt or gravel and trac can pin you down. turn off trac and you can make it

so....it varies...but generally: uphill starts, or very slow speed uphill+loose+trac=no funzies

if you have all the auto-lsd stuff on, that isn't really -trac- by itself...I am talking about only trac
Old 01-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy27 View Post
It has helped me not have to put my truck in 4wd on a snowy road, but how well does it help off road? I havent really taken my truck offroad much and this is the first vehicle I have had with trac/auto lsd.
You're going to hear a lot of things from a lot of people. The one you will hear the most from is DavidK. It is important for you to remember most of these people either don't have trucks with these traction features or, if they do, haven't pushed them around offroad in any meaningful fashion (i.e. close to stock truck).

I'll keep it short and put it to you like this:

TRAC is helpful in 4Hi sometimes. Other trim models of the truck have other traction control modes you don't, some of which are excellent offroad in most circumstances. But you don't need to worry about those.

Nothing is a replacement for true locking differentials.

That about covers it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
there are tons of spots while crawling you need to spin a little bit
in dirt or gravel
Not if you're picking lines correctly.

Wheelspin is most needed in soft compounds that pack tread...mud mostly, but it can also be helpful in sand and snow.

If you're crawling, there's no excuse for spinning wheels at all.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
CrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrAiG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tacoma889
CrAiG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
You're going to hear a lot of things from a lot of people. The one you will hear the most from is DavidK. It is important for you to remember most of these people either don't have trucks with these traction features or, if they do, haven't pushed them around offroad in any meaningful fashion (i.e. close to stock truck).

I'll keep it short and put it to you like this:

TRAC is helpful in 4Hi sometimes. Other trim models of the truck have other traction control modes you don't, some of which are excellent offroad in most circumstances. But you don't need to worry about those.

Nothing is a replacement for true locking differentials.

That about covers it.

Not if you're picking lines correctly.

Wheelspin is most needed in soft compounds that pack tread...mud mostly, but it can also be helpful in sand and snow.

X2
Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post

maybe if you are crawling in the dry, but everywhere except Moab my roots, rocks, and moss is always wet wet wet. some spin is going to happen regardless of your skills or choice of meats. traction control stops me dead a lot unless I turn it off, so I can spin a tad and the engine doesn't throttle down.