Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Asian Businessmen Fascinated By Winch

Old 01-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

stewartx's Tacoma Gallery
Asian Businessmen Fascinated By Winch

We (wife & myself) had a somewhat strange/humorous incident this afternoon. While stopped at a traffic light, I noticed the car beside me slowly moving. I glaced over and saw four well-dressed Asian businessmen in a rental car. With the large research park here, it's not unusual to see foreign visitors.

Anyway, as I glanced over, the guy in the passenger seat was looking towards the front of my truck, motioning hard for the driver to pull forward. Once up far enough, both were looking and talking excitingly about my winch. The two in the back could not see, but the guys in front were describing. After a few seconds, the passenger in the back saw I was looking and motioned for me to back up so he could see. I considered ignoring him, but eventually did.

At that point, all four were seemingly fascinated by, even ecstatic about, my winch. Indeed, their big smiles, excited conversation, and animated hand gestures (pointing, hooking motions like attaching a winch cable, etc) gave the impression they had never seen a winch before. The rear passenger, smiling big, even gave me two big thumbs up. Of course, I'm thinking to myself it's a freaking winch - not that big of a deal. Regardless, this continued for several minutes until the light changed (I went straight and they turned).

I've had some strange incidents on the road, but this was one for the books. Do these people not have winches? Is it that unusual there to see a winch on a truck?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
They just liked your truck.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Nice.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Nice.
I like your taillights. Where did you get them?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
DueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shedDueNorth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
DueNorth's Tacoma Gallery
Lets face it, not to many people put winches on the front of their truck so I can see why some people might stare and point.

I get this a lot where I live but it's usually always about the snorkel. Defintely not everyday ya see a truck with one that's for sure.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
stewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shedstewartx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
They just liked your truck.
No, those guys (only a few feet away) were clearly focused solely on the winch, which was freaking strange since my winch certainly isn't all that special or unusual. Few others even give it a second glance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Nice.
It is nice to know someone appreciated my efforts, but still strange they would focus so hard on that one thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gylar View Post
Lets face it, not to many people put winches on the front of their truck so I can see why some people might stare and point.

I get this a lot where I live but it's usually always about the snorkel. Defintely not everyday ya see a truck with one that's for sure.
It's true most here don't have a winch, but it's still not all that unusual. Now a snorkel is another matter entirely. Even I'd take a second look at that.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
Wench?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amo-cat3 View Post
Probably a car full of TRD engineers!!
We do have the Toyota TMMAL motor manufacturing plant here, which builds the 4-cylinder engines for the Highlander (Camry, RAV4, Sienna, etc) and the V6 and V8 engines for the Tacoma and Tundra, so I guess it's possible. However, I doubt it. Surely they would have seen a winch on one of their vehicles before. If not, maybe my truck gave them some ideas for the future - winches, big toolboxes in the bed, built-in CB radios with tall antennas, oh, yeah!