Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Some Outer Banks Beach Pics

Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Some Outer Banks Beach Pics

These are from this past August. The silver truck is my buddies 06, 3" lift 285's, AllPro front bumper.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
wtf am i reading
Razgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazgriz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Razgriz's Tacoma Gallery
I love the outer banks. we have stayed in Avon for like 12 years running. Where do they let you on the beach down there?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz View Post
I love the outer banks. we have stayed in Avon for like 12 years running. Where do they let you on the beach down there?
I like Avon, we have stayed there before. This year we stayed in Waves, nice quiet area. To drive on the beach you need to go to one of the three National Park Service permit offices located at Coquina Beach, the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Visitor Center (Buxton), or the Ocracoke Visitor Center and buy a permit. From the Hatteras Light you can drive south on the beach about 3 miles to Hatteras Point which is pretty cool but usually crowded, great for fishing but you can really swim there the surf is far to rough. There are also numerous beach access points on both the ocean and the sound side. All the entrances are subject to closure based on sea turtle breeding and beach erosion among other things but the rangers will tell you which gates are open when you buy your permit.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
huachuca is on a distinguished road
Army: Sgt E5 69-70 STRATCOM
Name: Al
huachuca's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking trucks. I'm guessing the last photo was taken at one of the sound side beaches. That would be my recommendation for old farts (like me) and anyone with younger kids. Usually much less crowded with little traffic.

When considering a visit to our Outer Banks, don't forget Portsmouth Island and South Core Banks of Cape Lookout NS. Its harder to get to (boat or private ferry only) but the beaches are nicer (IMO), far fewer people (maybe 150 folks on a twenty mile long island in peak season) and the wheeling is better. Plus there are no fees for beach driving and you can camp most anywhere on the ocean side of the dunes for free. The Park Service does have twenty or so cabins for rent if camping isn't your thing.

We usually take a screen room to escape the sun & bugs and sleep in the smaller tent.

Sunrise over the Atlantic - taken from our tent.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
bigeye227
bigeye227 is on a distinguished road

Name: Charlie
bigeye227's Tacoma Gallery
X2 for Cape Lookout!!!! We go every year. Best place ever.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
ksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to beholdksmoove757 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kenneth
ksmoove757's Tacoma Gallery
Where in the outer banks is this, I read there's a new law that requires a permit, can anyone one of y'all inform me, I'm heading out there this Sunday.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
huachuca is on a distinguished road
Army: Sgt E5 69-70 STRATCOM
Name: Al
huachuca's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmoove757 View Post
Where in the outer banks is this, I read there's a new law that requires a permit, can anyone one of y'all inform me, I'm heading out there this Sunday.
There are two National Seashores on the Outer Banks - Cape Hatteras runs roughly 55 miles via Hwy 12 from Nags Head to Hatteras. There are multiple beach access ramps along the highway. From Hatteras, catch a free ferry to Ocracoke Island for another 20 miles of seashore before terminating in the village of Ocracoke. You'll need a permit @ $120 per calendar year or $50 for 7 days to drive on any NPS controlled ocean or soundside shoreline.

Cape Lookout NS covers the islands south of Ocracoke, Portsmouth and South Core. This Park is mostly undeveloped with no paved roads, services or permanent inhabitants. No permit required. Morris Marina out of Atlantic provides the only vehicle ferry service.

You may be able to drive on the beaches north of Corolla and up towards the VA line without a permit as its not NPS controlled but I haven't been up that way in years.

The Donza Lee is one of two ferries providing passage to Portsmouth Island.

Enjoy your visit with us.