Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Off-roading with rear wheel drive?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
crimsoncrusader is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
crimsoncrusader's Tacoma Gallery
Off-roading with rear wheel drive?

So I have an '04 double cab V6 Tacoma, and my friends and I really want to go off-roading in it. I would prefer not to go through really muddy and hilly trails, because after all it's rear wheel drive, and getting stuck isn't fun. I know its not really a good idea to take a RWD truck off-roading, that's why I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on relatively cheap modifications I could make for a better off-roading trip (as in, not getting stuck) and any good trails in North Carolina I could take it down. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
First off welcome to TW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsoncrusader View Post
So I have an '04 double cab V6 Tacoma, and my friends and I really want to go off-roading in it. I would prefer not to through really muddy and hilly trails, because after all it's rear wheel drive. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on relatively cheap modifications I could make for a better off-roading trip (as in, not getting stuck) and any good trails in North Carolina I could take it down. Or, just flat out tell me the truth and that it's not a good idea. Thanks!
Check out URE National forest. I wheeled it once a few years ago and there are plenty of 2wd trails as long as it's not wet out. It's primarily clay so when it's wet its not what I would consider 2wd territory. Also the trails are rated so talk to the locals before hand to see what trails you should stick to.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc...48934&actid=30

also pop into your regional threads and ask those guys. You have a good group in your region. I have meta few of them and they are stand up guys.

Oh and never wheel alone. As long as you have a 4x4 with you they can always tow you up the hills
Old 01-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Save for an ARB locker, $1k ish, a winch, and what the others have already said.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Captain Taco
tacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacofire38 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Volunteer Firefighter
Name: Matt
tacofire38's Tacoma Gallery
The best mod you can do is invest in some good tires.. You would be suprised what you can do in a 2wd with some good rubbers Still wont be able to wheel lilke a 4x4 but it definantly makes a difference, then later down the road if you have the loot, get a locker for the rear diff. I have an ARB air locker on my prerunner and have been able to keep up with 4x4s pretty good (just not completely) lol
Old 01-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Tires make a huge difference, 2WD or 4WD. I rarely have to use 4WD for the trails I do, so I'd say with a decent set of all terrain tires, you should be ok.

Also agree on never wheeling alone. Having 2 trucks, even both are 2WD puts you at a much bigger advantage in the event of something going wrong.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
2WD and offroad all the time. With the mentioned above mods knowing when to get on the skinny pedal and let off is key to keeping you unstuck in some situations.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
pigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpigger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pigger's Tacoma Gallery
I had an '01 2wd Taco before I went 4wd, and I took it offroad a lot. I did get stuck once in nasty caliche clay (just slid off a dirt road into a ditch) & had to be pulled out by a 4x4. Mostly I just stayed off the gnarliest trails. I even took it up the rock trail out of Telluride, CO once, but only made it a few miles before I had to go back; that is a 4x4 road for sure.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
toyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyodajeff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
toyodajeff's Tacoma Gallery
I like to put a little weight in the bed, air down the tires, bring a shovel and dont be afraid to really give it gas when things get sketchy. Also a big come-along cable puller is alot.cheaper than a winch.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Off roading with a 2wd is kinda better than 4wd in 1 aspect.

If youre only 2wd and ya get stuck then it shouldnt be that hard to get another 2wd truck or even a 4x4 to ya to pull ya out. If you get stuck with a 4x4 then your options for getting pulled out are narrowed by a good bit. This is a lesson to learn. Just because ya have 4wd dont mean that you wont get stuck........ it just means you will be a hell of a lot farther from help when you DO get stuck.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #10
Cyborg is on a distinguished road

Army: Airborne!
Name: Neil
Cyborg's Tacoma Gallery
got my truck stuck in the mud for the first time this morning. and i was alone. not a good feeling. im all stock on stock tires and i slid into a muddy ditch in the rain. i wasnt going fast or anything, but the road was sloped a good bit and i couldnt get any traction and ended up in a small ditch. luckily i had my shovel (etool) and plenty of trees around to help me put something under the tires to get traction. some new tires are definitely my top priority at the moment. i dont want to be stuck in the mud while its raining and im alone ever again!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
rawdog has a spectacular aura aboutrawdog has a spectacular aura about

Name: Steve
rawdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like to put a little weight in the bed, air down the tires, bring a shovel and dont be afraid to really give it gas when things get sketchy. Also a big come-along cable puller is alot.cheaper than a winch.
done deal
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
AKA ::1
127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed127.0.0.1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 12th TIS
127.0.0.1's Tacoma Gallery
really good tires

and chains for emergency traction...
[besides snow...on roots and mud chains help
a ton if you are stuck...and are cheap]
Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 PM   #13
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodajeff View Post
Cheaper and a shit load more dangerous. And far from a real recovery tool. If you plan on offroading, get a winch.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Is OP TRD (elocker)?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #15
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome from TN! check out the NC thread and the NC/SC thread. maybe some 4x4 guys are around you and would meet up and go wheeling with you. or heck maybe some 2wd guy will go or know a good place to go! 1st get some good A/Tís! maybe get a small 12v air pump, so you can air down some than air back up one you ready to hit the road agin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Cheaper and a shit load more dangerous. And far from a real recovery tool. If you plan on offroading, get a winch.
x2!! and a lot more work!!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
Bistineau is on a distinguished road
Bistineau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsoncrusader View Post
So I have an '04 double cab V6 Tacoma, and my friends and I really want to go off-roading in it. I would prefer not to go through really muddy and hilly trails, because after all it's rear wheel drive, and getting stuck isn't fun. I know its not really a good idea to take a RWD truck off-roading, that's why I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on relatively cheap modifications I could make for a better off-roading trip (as in, not getting stuck) and any good trails in North Carolina I could take it down. Thanks!
In addition to what everyone else above has said, if you take enough of your buddies with you wheelin, if you get stuck put their asses to work pushing the truck to get you out. If they aren't willing to help out in this situation, then they aren't much of a friend anyway. Tell them to find their own way home after you get unstuck. After walking 10-12 or more miles back to pavement they may wish they had helped out in the first place.

Products Discussed in this Thread