Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

2nd Gen vs F150 wheeling

Old 02-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #21
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
As said before its mostly driver skill, the kid is 16 and if he has never wheeled before he probably has no clue what he is doing, and if he acts like you say he either has no balls, or has no brain. I do think your truck will perform better than his off road. My dad has the same truck as this kid, and it has as much ground clearance as my last 2wd taco (like none, i bet he could get high centered if you found a tall enough berm) and the turning radius of a 3 lane highway. If you want just go out with him and tell him to pick whatever he wants to go on and let him go first. Either he fucks his truck up, or struggles with something and he then gets to watch you walk up something with ease (hopefully because you are older and more experienced). Just trust your truck and use some common sense and a slight bit of balls.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If and when I hear about it, should I be arrogant and tell him my "little truck" will embarrass him? Should I be worried? I don't want to influence him to tear up his truck but also I don't wan't to hear how he's superior with his daddy's money. I would love to embarrass him by taking my truck through something and then have to pull him out.
I would be the adult that you are and not give two shits about what a 16 year old says or acts. If that doesn't work, move to an area where no one else gives a crap either.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
As said before its mostly driver skill, the kid is 16 and if he has never wheeled before he probably has no clue what he is doing, and if he acts like you say he either has no balls, or has no brain. I do think your truck will perform better than his off road. My dad has the same truck as this kid, and it has as much ground clearance as my last 2wd taco (like none, i bet he could get high centered if you found a tall enough berm) and the turning radius of a 3 lane highway. If you want just go out with him and tell him to pick whatever he wants to go on and let him go first. Either he fucks his truck up, or struggles with something and he then gets to watch you walk up something with ease (hopefully because you are older and more experienced). Just trust your truck and use some common sense and a slight bit of balls.
this^^
wheel placement is key
Old 02-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
How is his truck better? Or are you saying that from his frame of mind? I know he can pull more having more torque but I'm talking about wheeling. And that's my point, that he seems to be all about wheeling with his comments. Seems he should have gotten a Jeep of a Toyota imo. And as far as a race I'm not so sure. At least from take off. But again, another story.

As for the 1st gen vs 2nd, this is partially why I asked about the whole wheeling thing. I know 1st gens are very capable, just not sure how the 2nd gens compare. Bigger and heavier, almost a full size. So I feel like a 1st gen would kill a 2nd wheeling.

I almost bought an Off Road. Sometimes I wish I had, like when I think about this thread. But the one I almost bought was used and with what they were asking I paid for mine brand new with more features. Not sure how much I could have chewed them down?

Like I said before, likely nothing will become of this. I'm just tired of getting thrashed from my wife's family. Her father has ragged on me a few times. Other comments have been made indirectly. Seems every year at Christmas my wife or step daughter gets offended by them in some way. I said this year it would be me and I wasn't going to sit a listen to it, hell, they don't. I did get offended this past Christmas but ironically it wasn't about the truck. But likely nothing will come of this since I don't see him that much, if I did stuff might go down.

I just get tired of hearing about the whole "little truck" and "support American workers" crap. My truck does everything I want it to and should last and hold its value longer than his Ford. So I guess that is all I should say and drop it. There is that side of me that would love to run through a hole and then him get stuck in the same spot though.
Ok, so you are specifically just talking about wheeling. I was trying to cover all the bases. haha. Tacomas have a much better turning radius than full size rigs. That will help a lot when offroading. As for 1st and 2nd gen, I have no problem keeping up with 1st gens in my 2nd gen and have seen some very impressive rigs of both gens and even though 1st gens are smaller than 2nd gens (non DCLB) turning radius is only 0.5ft longer than a 1st gens, so almost no difference really. We are a little wider so occasionally we may have to take some extra caution going through narrow stuff.

Last I heard, toyota makes more trucks in the US than any other car maker out there right now. Aren't most Fords built in Mexico now? That's part of why they used a Tundra to pull the space shuttle, Toyota is considered one of the most American car makers out there now out of the car makers we have here in America, even though they were founded in Japan. So I wouldn't let them give you crap about your Tacoma not being American.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
Christian Pastor. Need prayer,have questions? Ask
JayDawg is on a distinguished road
Name: Jay
JayDawg's Tacoma Gallery
When I lived in San Diego, I had a person talking the same smack so I invited him to go off roading one day in our East County mountains. I knew some trails that were just wide enough for my Tacoma and that full size trucks could not go on. They were old muel trails for mail carriers back in the 1800's. Needless to say, my truck left without any trail damage. I can't say the same for his...
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #26
DaBears is on a distinguished road
Army:
DaBears's Tacoma Gallery
Go anywhere, I hit a few trails with some guys from work in full size trucks. In one evening I pulled out two Chevy's a Ford and a Dodge. there big problem was shitty angles on the approach. The front bumpers come down to far or there rear bumpers drag. Just go on any trail that has a decent size ditch to go through and make sure there is another way to get out after he blocks the road. Just my .02
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
. I just get tired of some of his comments on FB.
Those can be hidden. FB gives you that power.

Wheel with a clear head. If you haven't been off-roading in 20 years, may not be good for everyone involved to suddenly hit the trails with the expectation of showing off how capable a vehicle may or may not be.

Take him out with the expectation of enjoying yourself. V8s are notorious for sorting out those that don't understand the "stupid" pedal.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Tacomas FTMFW!!!!
sir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud ofsir1123 has much to be proud of

Name: John
sir1123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Long story short. My wife's family has money and we don't measure up. Her nephew that just turned 16 had a 08 F150 4 door 4x4 (stock) gave to him. He's gotten a big head and has the bigger is better mentality. I've already heard crap for my Toyota. They are hard core Ford people. This boy has talked about wheeling every weekend before he even got his license. I don't think he has wheeled at all yet.

If and when I hear about it, should I be arrogant and tell him my "little truck" will embarrass him? Should I be worried? I don't want to influence him to tear up his truck but also I don't wan't to hear how he's superior with his daddy's money. I would love to embarrass him by taking my truck through something and then have to pull him out.

2008 F150 4 door 4x4 5.4 V8 stock vs 2011 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD Sport V6 4x4 5100's at 1.75 and rear leaf tsb on basically stock tires, Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/70/16

Thoughts?

I'm just tired of them bashing my truck. It does everything I want. Hell, this kid wanted a F250 or 350.
Your really asking this question? Lol
Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Well, whatever advantage the TRD sport 4x4 has over the non-TRD 4x4 tacoma, it must also have over an open front/rear ford f-150, correct? So add in the advantage of less weight, narrowness, and perhaps shorter wheelbase, then i think the advantage should surely be in OPs favor.

BTW, OP, instead of making this a competitive thing, where one's reputation is on the line, maybe it would be a better opportunity to go out, have fun and bond with a family member of yours? Or is the kid THAT bad?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #30
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Tell him to come down to ure when me and my buddys go wheeling, we'll show him what Toyota's can do offroad. Fords have there place at the mall and junkyards and thats where they should stay, not broke on the side of the trail All bs aside the Tacoma should do better mainly due to size and nimbleness.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #31
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
I would be the adult that you are and not give two shits about what a 16 year old says or acts. If that doesn't work, move to an area where no one else gives a crap either.
Right?!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #32
Mr. Midlife Crisis
TacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
TacoAlaMode's Tacoma Gallery
Trac does a lot for our Sports on opposite camber stuff. Went out with a 1st and 2nd gen Tacomas. Both had open diffs. I walked right up and over some uphill camber spots due to Trac and the LSD. Both of the other two ended up spinning at the breakover and having to move back to get momentum again. After a couple of tries, both trucks ended up with both tires in the bottom of the ditch and had a hard time getting back out. They made it, but it wasn't fun for them.

If your going out in the wet, make sure you know how to turn off the traction control stuff so that you can apply the skinny without the engine being regulated. It has caught me a few times getting to the end of a hole and just needing to give it a little bit more to climb out and the beeping and throttle regulation kicking in.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #33
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
BTW, OP, instead of making this a competitive thing, where one's reputation is on the line, maybe it would be a better opportunity to go out, have fun and bond with a family member of yours? Or is the kid THAT bad?
He is family! Go out with the kid and show him how to off road.

If you're old enough to "not have wheeled for 20 years" you're also old enough to know that a 16 year old will act like he is 16. There is also no reason to get in a pissing contest with someone when they are really just acting their age.

Sorry for patronizing
Old 02-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #34
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunhamAll View Post
He is family! Go out with the kid and show him how to off road.

If you're old enough to "not have wheeled for 20 years" you're also old enough to know that a 16 year old will act like he is 16. There is also no reason to get in a pissing contest with someone when they are really just acting their age.

Sorry for patronizing
Yeah I know. I just get tired of being disrespected, not him, it's the whole family. But after starting this thread, it made me realize why should I give a shit what they think? I don't measure up to them. Big deal. My truck does all I want it to and should wheel better than his, for now at least. But that was the original point of this thread to assure me my truck should go more places than his. Thought it would be a kinda fun thread in that aspect. But I kinda let it get out of hand.

But I'm sure he'll be lifted not too far in the future and will have the edge. That's fine, he's young, let him enjoy his truck while he can. I know I did, (Note the Ford Ranger in my pics) I was a bit older and worked for mine and all the mods on it, that truck was plain jane when I started. My friends didn't even know it was a 4x4 until I took it out wheelin. I had no responsibilities and enjoyed it. But I never ragged others for their stuff and messed with people on the road like I've seen and heard from him.

I wouldn't want him to get out and tear his truck up, just the thought of him getting stuck in a hole in his "big truck" that I went through with my little "Toy truck" would be priceless though. As I said earlier he wanted a F250 or 350 Power Stroke.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
you will crush him offroad just dont tow/haul against him....i hate fords but the 5.4 in the newer trucks is a powerful platform for work but any type of trail youll kill him
Oh I know this, but that is kind of the point, he wanted a truck to wheel, not tow. I said he should get a Jeep or a Tacoma.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #37
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
very true...even the raptor is crap off the pavement...there big and clumsy on rocks,imposible on tight trails and if you do highspeed desert stuff and small jumps like there built for the fram bends...ive seen them in action first hand and thats the best f150 ever made...lol
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #38
mdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nicemdurbs68 is just really nice

mdurbs68's Tacoma Gallery
I get the same crap from my in-laws but they are Chevy guys. They make comments on wheelin, towing, etc. ( I think they are trying to compensate for their other short comings but that is another thread). My response is to compare repair costs @ 100,000 miles and then let's talk. Their response is usually silence. Silence is golden!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #39
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
OKAY..... after starting this thread you HAVE to do it and post the videos. Like seriously, you got us all hypothetically theorizing about it for you. Now we want to see results.