1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen vs F150 wheeling

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by TacoDawgfan, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:51 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Long story short. My wife's family has money and we don't measure up. Her nephew that just turned 16 had a 08 F150 4 door 4x4 (stock) gave to him. He's gotten a big head and has the bigger is better mentality. I've already heard crap for my Toyota. They are hard core Ford people. This boy has talked about wheeling every weekend before he even got his license. I don't think he has wheeled at all yet.

If and when I hear about it, should I be arrogant and tell him my "little truck" will embarrass him? Should I be worried? I don't want to influence him to tear up his truck but also I don't wan't to hear how he's superior with his daddy's money. I would love to embarrass him by taking my truck through something and then have to pull him out. :D

2008 F150 4 door 4x4 5.4 V8 stock vs 2011 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD Sport V6 4x4 5100's at 1.75 and rear leaf tsb on basically stock tires, Yokohama Geolander ATS 265/70/16

Thoughts?

I'm just tired of them bashing my truck. It does everything I want. Hell, this kid wanted a F250 or 350. :rolleyes:

2. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    if you had a locker i'd be more confident but with LSD and 4x4 you're a capable truck, just take him on some tight trails, if it's tight for you he'll have to suck in his gut.

3. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    No contest. Taco all the way.

4. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM
    ChamYota

ChamYota Crash Bandicoot Or Groot AKA Cham "Scottalot" Yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Columbia,South Cakalacky
    Vehicle:
    05' Taco 4x4 swapped/ 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser
    H1 Morimoto projector with XB35 4300K bulbs with Mini-gatling gun shrouds, BHLM. Debadged,OEM roof rack,TW sticker,Sockmonkey Beside decals,265/70/16 Nitto terra grapplers with dick cepek DC'2 wheels,weathertech floor liners(front/back),USA Spec Ipod reader,Scanguage II,Bestop Supertopper and more in the works...
    As my dad always tells me: "I can show you better than i can tell you"

take him out somewhere.

5. Feb 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    I don't think I'd be to worried about showing up a 16 y/o.. Let him tear his truck up himself.

6. Feb 5, 2013 at 3:14 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I'm not too worried about his driving ability, but would hate to get embarrassed by him it his truck would outdo mine. I don't think that would happen but just wanted others opinions about the two trucks head to head. Hell, I haven't wheeled a truck in over 20 years. And I know 1st gens are very light and smaller making them more capable, just not sure how the 2nd gens compare? :eek: I doubt anything will ever come of this since we're not that close. I just get tired of some of his comments on FB. If he ever says anything directly to me I may just have to challenge him though.

I always liked him and thought he was the most decent of their kids. That is until he got this truck. Now he seems to have a big head. Hell, for some of his FB comments, if I was his father I would have to snatch his keys from him. He's talked about how fun it is to piss cars off and such, and he's only had his license for about a month. And as far as I know his parents don't say anything to him.

7. Feb 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    x2. Truck width and length is a huge factor out here in the PNW, not sure what you have in your area.

More than anything, wait for him to screw up, he'll manage it without help. In the meantime, make sure you know what you are doing - recovery tactics, airing down tires, etc.

Your big issue is going to be him affording M/T tires (it's going to happen) while you have less aggressive tires. I'm guessing he's going to plow into some mud field and get stuck. I'd do a real good assessment of deciding if it's bad enough that your A/Ts aren't going to help, where the smart thing to do is say, "sucks to be you".

8. Feb 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    JakeyWakey

JakeyWakey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    12' MGM TRD Sport AT
    ...Put a Buckeye sticker in the back window.
    I don't do much wheelin, but I do A LOT of tailgating (Ohio State, Columbus Crew, Concerts, USA Soccer) everywhere and any where.

It seems like everytime I do so, I get hardcore Ford and Chevy guys come over and complement my truck and say their next one could be a Taco. They hate the mpg's, they've had a taco rescue them, taco's last forever, tacoma's look badass, etc. I heard them all. My honest opinion is that people really do like Tacoma's and have an idea that they are better at everything.

You live in geogia, take his ass up here to Ohio or anywhere up north with some real snow and forget all the trails, should have him re-thinking how good that truck really is.

His parents could have also bought that for him since it's a big, "safe", truck with a pretty nice crash test rating. Not just because they have money..

At the same time, we were all young once. Hell my first car when I was 16 was a 98' 4Runner.. I was probably that kid once too..

9. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2... Let him think his truck is all that and a bag of chips. If he's got the complex you're describing, he'll get himself into trouble with that truck all on his own and you'll be clean. If you take him out and his precious truck gets stuck or damaged, you'll never hear the end of it. Just let it be and let him figure out how incapable that boat is off road all on his own.

10. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    What tires does he have on his truck? Your tires aren't the ideal 'froading tires, so I would suggest getting better tires to truly be able to show him the ropes.

11. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    Tacoma is far more superior for trail riding than a full size. Both are capable trucks so only way you will find out is to go out and try.

12. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:11 AM
    Taco Dan

Taco Dan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser auto 4X4
    Snorkel, Cooper ST Maxx 255/80/17, diff breather relocate, Cobra ultra III cb radio set up Warrior Products front bumper
    please get a GoPro and film this!

13. Feb 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    its 85% driver, you said you havent wheeled in over 20 years.... so idk.

14. Feb 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    I would just keep "putting him off" and saying yeah we will see one day, and im willing to bet it wont be too long before he trashes that F150 that mom and dad paid for. Then you can come at him with stuff like. What happened to your FORD? My little ol Toyota is STILL RUNNING! LOL. I dont mind off roading, but I damn sure wouldnt beat the hell out of my truck that I paid for just to show up a 16 y/o kid that seems not to know how hard a dollar is to come by cause he aint never had to work for shit. Thats just my 2 cents worth..........

15. Feb 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you had a TRD offroad (ie have a locker) and some mud terrains, I would say you would walk circles around him all day long. Since you have neither I'd say the only advantage your rig has over his is size and weight. His V8 will likely take you in a race and if he can keep his foot out of the throttle Ford's 5.4L of that year gets just as good if not better mpg's than our Taco's while putting down more power and torque... Ford did a good job with the efficiency of that motor. So I would just let him do his own thing, although he will just keep thinking his is better, mostly because it is.

It's like the 1st gen vs 2nd gen debate. 1st gen owners will say 1st gens are better and 2nd gen owners will say 2nd gens are better, when both are very capable rigs, that are pretty much on par with each other as far as offroading goes, especially when built similarly.

16. Feb 6, 2013 at 2:06 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Stock

Yeah, hard to believe it's been that long, hadn't even thought about it until I started typing. I have had a CR and and a couple of quads that I rode for several of those years but that is a whole different type of off roading. But I'm confident I would still out drive him. But that was the point of this thread, to figure if his truck should scare me? I would think my Yota would outdo his.

How is his truck better? Or are you saying that from his frame of mind? I know he can pull more having more torque but I'm talking about wheeling. And that's my point, that he seems to be all about wheeling with his comments. Seems he should have gotten a Jeep of a Toyota imo. And as far as a race I'm not so sure. At least from take off. But again, another story.

As for the 1st gen vs 2nd, this is partially why I asked about the whole wheeling thing. I know 1st gens are very capable, just not sure how the 2nd gens compare. Bigger and heavier, almost a full size. So I feel like a 1st gen would kill a 2nd wheeling. :notsure:

I almost bought an Off Road. Sometimes I wish I had, like when I think about this thread. But the one I almost bought was used and with what they were asking I paid for mine brand new with more features. Not sure how much I could have chewed them down?

Like I said before, likely nothing will become of this. I'm just tired of getting thrashed from my wife's family. Her father has ragged on me a few times. Other comments have been made indirectly. Seems every year at Christmas my wife or step daughter gets offended by them in some way. I said this year it would be me and I wasn't going to sit a listen to it, hell, they don't. I did get offended this past Christmas but ironically it wasn't about the truck. But likely nothing will come of this since I don't see him that much, if I did stuff might go down. :D

I just get tired of hearing about the whole "little truck" and "support American workers" crap. My truck does everything I want it to and should last and hold its value longer than his Ford. So I guess that is all I should say and drop it. There is that side of me that would love to run through a hole and then him get stuck in the same spot though. ;)

17. Feb 6, 2013 at 2:24 PM
    GhostDog86

GhostDog86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Chimayo/Santa Fe
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD OR
    Remove mudflaps, Plasti dip badges/ lower val/ and grill, Plasti dip wheels, 5% tint all around, Tinted tails and 3rd, 55w driving lights in rear, Blue LED light strip in bed, Blue LEDs in cab/ cup holders...
    Coming from a Ford (actually still have it) I wouldn't discredit there off road ability. I can tell you stock truck to stock truck they are the same in almost all aspects except rock crawling, always feels ackward on the rocks with the f150. Like others have said it always comes down to driver skill. If it were me I would take the high road and just enjoy the ride.

18. Feb 6, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Don't need to show the kid up, if he drives like most teenagers his F150 will be a POS within a matter of months.

19. Feb 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I haven't seen where 1st or 2nd gen holds any clear lead. 1st has narrowness to get around stuff and the lightness to float a bit better on snow, but that's about the only advantage I've personally seen... and yes, width can be a huge factor.

Oh, and cough and cough and cough:

[​IMG]

I don't see the big point. My Taco was assembled in Kentucky, and I'd much rather have it built in Japan where people know how to build things.

20. Feb 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    As said before its mostly driver skill, the kid is 16 and if he has never wheeled before he probably has no clue what he is doing, and if he acts like you say he either has no balls, or has no brain. I do think your truck will perform better than his off road. My dad has the same truck as this kid, and it has as much ground clearance as my last 2wd taco (like none, i bet he could get high centered if you found a tall enough berm) and the turning radius of a 3 lane highway. If you want just go out with him and tell him to pick whatever he wants to go on and let him go first. Either he fucks his truck up, or struggles with something and he then gets to watch you walk up something with ease (hopefully because you are older and more experienced). Just trust your truck and use some common sense and a slight bit of balls.

Products Discussed in

To Top