Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

The Epic WY/MT/CO Adventure!!

View Poll Results: I will be attending...
Leg 1 only 5 20.00%
Leg 2 only 3 12.00%
Leg 3 only 5 20.00%
Legs 1 & 2 4 16.00%
Legs 2 & 3 0 0%
Legs 1 & 3 0 0%
All 3!! 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 AM   #242
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
No idea which leg(s) yet. It'll probably depend mostly on the above mentioned issues I guess haha
Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #244
PutterClutch
SconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSconnieHailer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marc
SconnieHailer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post

No no no man! Don't do that..you have to first take her wheeling and truck camping and she will think its odd at first. Then like the luxuries THEN you tell her you can use it as a base camp for the backpacking trips

but yes..expo FTW!
I like the tactic and the truck as a base camp is a nice way to get in deeper quicker!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #246
09blacktaco is a name known to all09blacktaco is a name known to all09blacktaco is a name known to all09blacktaco is a name known to all09blacktaco is a name known to all09blacktaco is a name known to all
Coast Guard: BM
Name: Matt
09blacktaco's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on the dates, I hope to be able to tag along for the 3rd leg of your trip. I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #248
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
don't have time to watch the video's, but sounds epic.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #249
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
If I make it for Morrison I call dibs on first truck up. I don't want anyone ahead of me on that and I want to hike back down for pictures
Nope you can't go first. Someone with a winch goes first IMO.

Plus you won't just go strait up and ahead of everyone. You'll be slow and we will go up more as a group. Everyone will need spotted around just about every corner. If we have a lot of trucks though you have aplenty of photo ops. The pace is not gonna be fast. Probably take us 4-7 hours just to get up the switchbacks.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #250
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Nope you can't go first. Someone with a winch goes first IMO.

Plus you won't just go strait up and ahead of everyone. You'll be slow and we will go up more as a group. Everyone will need spotted around just about every corner. If we have a lot of trucks though you have aplenty of photo ops. The pace is not gonna be fast. Probably take us 4-7 hours just to get up the switchbacks.
4 to 7 hours? How many trucks do you expect? Gtfo.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #252
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Here is a better video than those in the OP of Morrison. the way i see it, it is really tight @ 10 an 11 minutes in, but nothing too bad. i mean you have to remember, a LC and trailer made it up it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwYbMwLddhI
ive got couple points to make with you though.
1. say a winch truck goes first like you say. what is that going to help or do? The truck behind them wont benefit in ANY way from that unless, the winch truck turns around in one of the turn outs, winches, the BACKS up to the turn out (dangerous) and gets going. i dont forsee anywhere a truck would get stuck. that video plays out a good portion of the trail and there isnt anything too severe. i would say that a competent driver who knows their rig is a must. it isnt a cake walk.

2. for it to make the 4-7hour time frame, we would have to move at a pace of .38-.22 MPH on the switchbacks alone.

3. Everyone is going to crawl at a different pace. i tend to be on the fast side of things by nature. every time i wheel behind Mike for instance, i always catch up to him and have to stop to gain space between us and repeat it. being on those switchbacks is the LAST place i want to be stopping and starting. i am sure others will agree. yes there are a few flat and "wide" spots to take pictures, but on there you gotta be focused on driving, not pictures. that drop is no joke.
Lol dude then you better either rethink driving it or start practicing how to drive on a steep as grade. Cause there is NO way you will make it up without stopping and backing up a few time for some of the corners

You have to remember that in that vid those are razors. Short wheelbase tight turning radius.

I'm planning for the worst. So yes. 4 hours. If we do better then that. Good on us

Also..I would not classify you as a hard and fast wheeler. Mike is definitely in the slower category. But your not in the fast really. On a flat road yes maybe.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #253
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
our wheelbase is 104.5"
grand cherokee 106".
http://jeepexpeditions.org/Forums/in...p?topic=2322.0
4 door wrangler 173.4"
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/11857088-post5.html

6 trucks, and only 45 minutes.
um... your wheelbase (2004 Tacoma) is more like 122"... with a 40ft turning circle.

While a (2010) 4door wrangler has a 116" wheelbase with a 41.2ft turning circle.
(2010) 2 door wrangler has a 95.4" wheelbase with a 35ft turning circle.

I don't know where you got your numbers from... Mine came from Edmunds.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #254
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
The main difference is, if a jeep goes off the trail, no tears would be shed. But if a taco went, well that would be a different story.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #255
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
our wheelbase is 104.5"
grand cherokee 106".
http://jeepexpeditions.org/Forums/in...p?topic=2322.0
4 door wrangler 173.4"
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/11857088-post5.html

6 trucks, and only 45 minutes.
Lol that pirate thing is in the OP those guys also run it 2 times..a year..they know it like the back of their hand.

Quote:
i never said i wheel fast. CRAWL fast. my minimum speed a crawl at in first gear is what it is. any slower and i risk stalling it. haha i am not "hardcore"

and yes i understand that you will have to make a few 6 point turns and that they are rzrs i just dont think you will need spotted up them all necessarily. maybe im crazy but i think that with that trail, you need to plan in advance as there is NO margin for error.
There is no margin for error. That's what's so awesome.

But your not going to just be able to drive it yourself. The first..idk..6-10 switchbacks you'll probably be fine by yourself. The top tho gets narrower, rougher and loose with steep ledges in the corner. Not going to be able to do those. By yourself.

And I'm not sure how much more planned you can get then what we have..

You like to over plan to much just show up with and extra set of underwear and be ready to drive it'll be fine.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #256
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
I can tell you right now that I am going to be crazy slow. I am terrified of falling on that trail! There isn't enough room of play to be speeding up that.
X2. Give been there..as have I..you know what's up..haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipreferwater View Post
The main difference is, if a jeep goes off the trail, no tears would be shed. But if a taco went, well that would be a different story.
Lol!!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #257
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
um... your wheelbase (2004 Tacoma) is more like 122"... with a 40ft turning circle.

While a (2010) 4door wrangler has a 116" wheelbase with a 41.2ft turning circle.
(2010) 2 door wrangler has a 95.4" wheelbase with a 35ft turning circle.

I don't know where you got your numbers from... Mine came from Edmunds.
40ft..on about a 15' at most turn..not good haha
Old 02-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #258
sander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
sander1036's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #260
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Damn you Western US guys with your open space and public land that is legal to wheel on...

That is all, I'm jealous. Carry on.

Products Discussed in this Thread