Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

The Epic WY/MT/CO Adventure!!

View Poll Results: I will be attending...
Leg 1 only 5 20.00%
Leg 2 only 3 12.00%
Leg 3 only 5 20.00%
Legs 1 & 2 4 16.00%
Legs 2 & 3 0 0%
Legs 1 & 3 0 0%
All 3!! 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 AM   #4301
RileySB
rileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shedrileySB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Gen
rileySB's Tacoma Gallery
If I am thinking of visiting southern MT and Northern WY this summer to do some backcountry camping and easy wheeling, when would be a good time to come? I have been following people from MT on Instagram and it seems the snow pack is HUGE and may take awhile to melt. I am looking for wildflowers and lots of greenery but hoping to avoid mosquitos. Any thoughts as to the best month to plan?? July is already a no-go for me. So between Aug-Oct, when would be the best time for meadows/flowers/lakes/no skeeters? I am planning to make a 2 week road trip from CA to MT/WY thru N CO (maybe) and then into UT and then home. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:46 AM   #4302
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
August is a great time as the snow has usually all melted thus the mountains are usually at their greenest. But September will have much less people as all locals are in school and work and tourism goes down a lot.

Be oct you can see snow fall again already...but really depends on the winter as it varies and with how the climate and weather has been changing dramatically lately, who knows.

But yea those months would be a great time to hit up mt/wy/co. Ad Utah will be pretty damn hot in August if your thinking Moab. But still nice.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:50 AM   #4303
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
September through october is beautiful and probably my favorite time to get out. If I were you I would plan the trips outside of the National Parks. They are great but you will have a better trip IMO elsewhere. Let the tourist bus, RVs, and mini vans roam that area.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #4304
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyTaco View Post
September through october is beautiful and probably my favorite time to get out. If I were you I would plan the trips outside of the National Parks. They are great but you will have a better trip IMO elsewhere. Let the tourist bus, RVs, and mini vans roam that area.
But it would be stupid to be that close to Yellowstone and Tetons and not go through it. Especially if you have never been.

I agree that it's not the greats for back country stuff obviously which is why most locals avoid it plus tourists...but I still strongly believe that everyone should go there and experience it once in their life.

So that's up to him.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM   #4306
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
But it would be stupid to be that close to Yellowstone and Tetons and not go through it. Especially if you have never been.

I agree that it's not the greats for back country stuff obviously which is why most locals avoid it plus tourists...but I still strongly believe that everyone should go there and experience it once in their life.

So that's up to him.
I think he should drive through. Not stop though. I read his post wrong though. Back country camping probably refers to undeveloped car camping. I was thinking along the lines of backpacking. Which still, yellowstone isn't terrible for. Most people stay on the paved road or where a car can easily go. Soon as you start off on foot you will leave most people. Most will stop before a mile at that elevation while carrying gear.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #4307
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
I just want to go anywhere over there! Haha
Make it happen

Quote:
I think he should drive through. Not stop though. I read his post wrong though. Back country camping probably refers to undeveloped car camping. I was thinking along the lines of backpacking. Which still, yellowstone isn't terrible for. Most people stay on the paved road or where a car can easily go. Soon as you start off on foot you will leave most people. Most will stop before a mile at that elevation while carrying gear.
True. Lots of great hiking in Yellowstone.

But I disagree about not stopping. If he has never seen geysers or mud pots or any of that...it's cool shit. Needs to stop if you go through it. Haha
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 AM   #4308
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Make it happen
Slowly planning out one. More of a backup plan if you don't plan something similar to last year or I just can't make it.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #4309
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So that's up to him.
Lol I've circlesd Yellowstone and never actually been in the park...
Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 AM   #4310
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
It's a lady, guys. And I agree with the above, especially if you doubt that you may not make it back anytime soon, Jellystone and Teton are pretty damn cool even just to drive through.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #4312
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The Epic WY/MT/CO Adventure!!

Depending on if the wife wants to join for Shoshone and christina lake we may want to do it beginning of July. We have to go to Iowa for a family event then thought about going up into South Dakota to check out the badlands and keep going west from there. That would take us near lander. Hopefully trails will be open by then. If taxes allow it, we will get a pop up trailer for the trip. Obviously won't be able to pull it through the trails but maybe I can find a place to safely park it while we run those trails.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:06 PM   #4313
Dr. Frankenstein

You could acucally park it at the tail head of christina. Be easy to tow into there and setup, then run the trail and come back to sleep.

Shoshone...be a bit harder but you could leave it at the trail head too. Big parking lot there for the ATVers.

Early July will be a toss up. I know Marc tired Christina early July last year and ended up being able to do most of it just not finish it due to the river being way too high. Shoshone has haft a stream in a section of it but i doubt its very bad..but could be open..could be closed..no idea till later in the year.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 PM   #4314
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well if you come out this year for goose..head home or here via through Yellowstone..I'd plan an extra day for that even. You'd have a photo hay day haha
that i can make it out to something this year. Looking like ill be hitting summer school with a full load and a full fall semester so i can graduate a semester early. the sooner i do that, the sooner i get a job and can get real truck parts and afford to do these trips better.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #4315
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
that i can make it out to something this year. Looking like ill be hitting summer school with a full load and a full fall semester so i can graduate a semester early. the sooner i do that, the sooner i get a job and can get real truck parts and afford to do these trips better.
Just ditch the rent and live out of the truck!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #4316
Professional Web Wheeler

Quote:
Just ditch the rent and live out of the truck!
i like living in a house too much. taking a shit in MY toilet is the second best part of my day.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:03 PM   #4318
If I don't get my job Ill be locking in some summer classes as well. It will be my first time but I heard they suck.

2 jobs down...1 left to hear back from
Old 03-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #4320
Professional Web Wheeler

i did online summer school once, that sucked.

Products Discussed in this Thread