Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

The Epic WY/MT/CO Adventure!!

View Poll Results: I will be attending...
Leg 1 only 5 20.00%
Leg 2 only 3 12.00%
Leg 3 only 5 20.00%
Legs 1 & 2 4 16.00%
Legs 2 & 3 0 0%
Legs 1 & 3 0 0%
All 3!! 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #1541
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Jason
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeTaco View Post
I could spend the rest of my life in the Winds and not see all that I want to...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
No kidding...

So tell me what are some of the best lakes to backpack into for some epic fishing? Southern Wind River range....looking to catch some golden trout. PM if you don't want to post the info publicly....
Old 05-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #1542
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
So tell me what are some of the best lakes to backpack into for some epic fishing? Southern Wind River range....looking to catch some golden trout. PM if you don't want to post the info publicly....
I only went once and broke my pole crawling under some brush that had grown over the trail (I had my pole strapped to my pack) on the second day. I have heard that the inkpot (?) lakes on the east side of the range were really good but not sure.

Edit- I think it is the inkwell lakes
Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #1544
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well the lakes we are driving too are supposed to be great
That reminds me, I need to get a new pole and an out of state license WY Out of state are so expensive and last time I bought one for 5 days (+/- $100) and that^^^ happened to me. But I will have the pole in the bed, not so easy to break it there!
Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #1545
Banned
Infra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shedInfra is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I only went once and broke my pole crawling under some brush that had grown over the trail (I had my pole strapped to my pack) on the second day. I have heard that the inkpot (?) lakes on the east side of the range were really good but not sure.

Edit- I think it is the inkwell lakes

1st day/night I'll be backpacking into Big Sandy to fish for a few hours, then on to Black Joe lake to fish for a few hours. Early morning rise and into the Cirque of the Towers for the next 2 days.

Quote:
Well the lakes we are driving too are supposed to be great

I've been meaning to ask....how much time overall do you plan on spending at Shoshone, Goose, and Christina lakes?
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #1546
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That reminds me, I need to get a new pole and an out of state license WY Out of state are so expensive and last time I bought one for 5 days (+/- $100) and that^^^ happened to me. But I will have the pole in the bed, not so easy to break it there!
Yea they are pricey..where we make a lot of money tho.

And good plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infra View Post
1st day/night I'll be backpacking into Big Sandy to fish for a few hours, then on to Black Joe lake to fish for a few hours. Early morning rise and into the Cirque of the Towers for the next 2 days.

I've been meaning to ask....how much time overall do you plan on spending at Shoshone, Goose, and Christina lakes?
Goose and Shoshone we will be camping right on. Will all depend on when we get there and how long it takes to drive to them. Then leave the next day. So you'd have that evening and morning to toss some flys.

Christina we won't camp at. Too little room.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #1547
Banned
Law Enforcement:
Infra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Easy to brake in the bed too Ask me how I know....get yourself a good rod case and you'll be golden.

Quote:
Yea they are pricey..where we make a lot of money tho.

And good plan!

Goose and Shoshone we will be camping right on. Will all depend on when we get there and how long it takes to drive to them. Then leave the next day. So you'd have that evening and morning to toss some flys.

Christina we won't camp at. Too little room.

I usually C&R but I hope some people will be up for a fresh trout dinner
Old 05-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #1548
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Relocated my CB antenna using the BAMF Tailgate bracket and now it works much better.

I also relocated my Trailer Light Plug so that I don't rip it off while I am in Moab.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #1550
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Lisa I was just looking at the schedule and didn't realize that you are leaving 2 days before Monte, so I think I will just keep my wife with me. I think it will be too hard to coordinate Yellowstone and meeting you early and such. Thanks though!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #1551
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Pool View Post
Well, you mentioned a 4 day visit. The place names I listed could easily take up many more. I was trying to maximize the mine camp/ghost town thing for the time you have. Off the trails I listed are many more spurs that lead to countless mines/mine camps. If you locate the all the places from the list on one map, you will see what I mean.
Sure, the eastern half of the Loop is pretty scenic and it has some mines and ruins, it's just less so than the areas I listed. All of those pics are from about 1/4 of the place names I listed and that whole list is to the west of Engineer/Cinnamon Pass. Remember ALL those names will have tons of Google returns.

Poughkeepsie Gulch runs (in the preferred direction) from lower Mineral Creek trail up Lake Como and Hurricane pass. It is drop dead gorgeous and 4lo most of the way till you pass the tree line. It follows and just flat runs "in" a Perfect little stream. I'll see if I can find some pics. At about the half way point is "the wall", rated a 7.
A local club put in a winch anchor for the "un-locked" or wet conditions.
Years ago I did the whole trail on 31" muds, locker, mild lift, high clearance bumpers, no armor and dry conditions (just a few snow flurries). I suffered no damage, bumped and dragged but no damage.
This trail is REQUIRED.

Google "Poughkeepsie Gulch Colorado" for tons of stuff, Including vids.
Here's one and check the "nearby trails" links. You do not want to miss Mineral Point road and the San Juan Chief mine/mill.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=77
What we need is someone that has been before to show us the way.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have a winch but no locker so good to know.

I guess I'll wait for the other guys to chime in with what they want. I know I want to do black bear and engineer and Imogene for sure. Basically the hard stuff so gulch road too
Poughkeepsie Gulch looks like fun.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #1553
dctamcoa is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
dctamcoa's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

Talked with my sister in Colorado last night. She said it sounds fun. Count me in for Leg 3. Me + 1 for now. Might be 2 more latter.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #1555
dctamcoa is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
dctamcoa's Tacoma Gallery
right now it is just one more person. two more might join. I know someone with another rig that would up for. How ever he spends more time wrenchin then driving. Just Empty yo'rE Pockets CJ-8.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #1556

Can we just go when I get back from Moab instead of waiting until August?!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #1557
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still a "maybe" on leg three of this trip, but things are looking better... Are you guys thinking about hitting Poughkeepsie Gulch at the end of your trip? Either way, it would be good to meet you all in person some time.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #1558
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctamcoa View Post
right now it is just one more person. two more might join. I know someone with another rig that would up for. How ever he spends more time wrenchin then driving. Just Empty yo'rE Pockets CJ-8.
Ah gotcha. Well cool!

Quote:
Can we just go when I get back from Moab instead of waiting until August?!
Haha nope! Snow won't be gone and I won't be in town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
I'm still a "maybe" on leg three of this trip, but things are looking better... Are you guys thinking about hitting Poughkeepsie Gulch at the end of your trip? Either way, it would be good to meet you all in person some time.
I think so..I really need a better plan on the alpine loop. Maybe ill hand that off to Mike if he would be willing.

I'm up for it as I hear it's challenging.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #1559
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah gotcha. Well cool!

Haha nope! Snow won't be gone and I won't be in town

I think so..I really need a better plan on the alpine loop. Maybe ill hand that off to Mike if he would be willing.

I'm up for it as I hear it's challenging.
Neither of us has ever been there so its dificult to know which trails to do.

Products Discussed in this Thread