Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Homemade skid plates?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Box Rocket;6503549]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
I have a very basic set of tools. All of my fab work is done with the following list of tools.

Dewalt Chop saw with abrasive wheel
Dewalt 4" angle grinder with cutoff wheels.
Dewalt 12v drill
Hobart Handler 180 Welder
HF Pipe Bender

So for the skid plates all cuts were made with the 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. For the bends I used the "whiskey bend" method of using a cutoff wheel to cut most of the way through the plate where the bend will be and then bending the plate along the cut and rewelding the seam.

One day I would love to add a plasma cutter, press brake, real tubing bender, drill press, etc to my list of tools but I just make do with what I have.
You did those round cuts on the front for the bolts with an angle grinder? I guess I got some practicing to do. Nice work man, your truck is the shit.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #24
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=jds0912;6681101]
Quote:

You did those round cuts on the front for the bolts with an angle grinder? I guess I got some practicing to do. Nice work man, your truck is the shit.
Haha. Yep all done with the angle grinder.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #25
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No templates for me. Just a tape measure. Didn't even use cardboard.
Same here.

I copied Box Rocket's method for making skid plates, and I love the way mine turned out! A lot stonger and way cheaper than buying aftermarket skids...

I found the key to making sure the skids fit well in the end is to constantly double, triple, and quadruple check the measurements, how they're applied to your blank piece of steel, and a lot of test fitting when you're making the bends and final cuts.

I used 1/4" plate for both my skids with 3/16" angle iron bracing on the transmission skid. (Since this tends to bed first, from the pics I've seen..) I do think 1/4" is overkill for the IFS skid, and adds unnessecary weight to the front end, it was cheaper for me to go this route since all I had to do was get a giant piece of 1/4" plate.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #26
...and we're back!
Benson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenson X is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
Benson X's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine:

After I added the Mid-Skid:

Unfortunately I don't have a write-up for the skids (sorry). It mounts to the factory bolt holes and hardware (except for some Grade-8 nuts and bolts I picked up) and uses the transmission cross-member studs to bolt the rear into place.

I basically checked out the different skids I liked (Relentless, Bud Built, ATO) and saw how they mounted to borrow ideas from. I had a rough sketch from a buddy with measurements for the front IFS skid, so that took a lot of the guess-work out of it.

I bought a 64" x 24" piece of 3/16" thick A36 steel and used a combination square to start marking my cuts, welds, and bends. I had never welded before, but with the help of a fellow Taco buddy, we cut out each piece with the plasma cutter, and started welding it together. We test fit each piece along the way to make sure the factory mounting holes lined up.

After we got the front skid done, we had to slot some of the holes to make it fit just right. I had originally planned to make (2) separate skids that bolted together, but simplicity and ease won in the end, and we welded them into a one-piece. I just got done mounting the whole thing up, and it was a chore. After some "persuasion" we got it mounted and it is pretty damn solid.

I guess my best advice would be to really check out your under-carriage, note what factory holes you have available, see where you need protection, and measure, measure, measure. Use a degree finder to dial in the rough angles you need to work around. Once you have the separate pieces ready to weld together, test fit them on the truck and tack weld them to each-other after confirming they line up. Remove the skid(s) and finish welding all the seams/joints.

Hope this helps, and gives you some ideas for your truck. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:26 AM   #27
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Here's mine:

After I added the Mid-Skid:

Unfortunately I don't have a write-up for the skids (sorry). It mounts to the factory bolt holes and hardware (except for some Grade-8 nuts and bolts I picked up) and uses the transmission cross-member studs to bolt the rear into place.

I basically checked out the different skids I liked (Relentless, Bud Built, ATO) and saw how they mounted to borrow ideas from. I had a rough sketch from a buddy with measurements for the front IFS skid, so that took a lot of the guess-work out of it.

I bought a 64" x 24" piece of 3/16" thick A36 steel and used a combination square to start marking my cuts, welds, and bends. I had never welded before, but with the help of a fellow Taco buddy, we cut out each piece with the plasma cutter, and started welding it together. We test fit each piece along the way to make sure the factory mounting holes lined up.

After we got the front skid done, we had to slot some of the holes to make it fit just right. I had originally planned to make (2) separate skids that bolted together, but simplicity and ease won in the end, and we welded them into a one-piece. I just got done mounting the whole thing up, and it was a chore. After some "persuasion" we got it mounted and it is pretty damn solid.

I guess my best advice would be to really check out your under-carriage, note what factory holes you have available, see where you need protection, and measure, measure, measure. Use a degree finder to dial in the rough angles you need to work around. Once you have the separate pieces ready to weld together, test fit them on the truck and tack weld them to each-other after confirming they line up. Remove the skid(s) and finish welding all the seams/joints.

Hope this helps, and gives you some ideas for your truck. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #28
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I love Tacomaworld!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #30
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBilly View Post
Sub for great info
+1. I've been thinking about trying to make my own skids as well...
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 PM   #33
EASY WIND
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure many folks have seen these. They have been bouncing around TTORA since time began.

http://www.mikeharan.net/temp/skidplate1.pdf
http://www.mikeharan.net/temp/skidplate2.pdf

The front will NOT work with an auto trans radiator. You will have to add the "Bud Built Bulge" or swap to a man trans rad and stand alone cooler.

I made an exact cardboard template from the "front" drawing and it fit ok. I would recommend doing the cardboard thing direct from the drawing and tweek that for your final piece.

By playing with the angles of the 3 main bends and the lengths of the flats there was no loss of ground clearance and full protection of LCA adjusters. The front cut-outs are only about 1/8" below the inner ends of the control arms.
The OEM mount locations are as light weight as the OEM skid and should be replaced. I made new rear mounts by replacing the stockers with 3/16" plate with heavy pattern nuts welded above. This allowed them to be placed higher in the cross member for ground clearance and enabled the use of "pocketed" mount bolts. The front mount "cross member", if you can call it that, is just as flimsy and should be replaced as well.

I have about $65 in it including $15 for the 3 main bends, paint and hardware.

Really wimpy OEM rear mounts.

3/16" plate drop fresh from a 15 min. improvised acid bath, I hate mill scale.

Back from the bender.

Back from the bender, scenic version.

Rear bolt "pocket"

Virgin semi gloss lacquer.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #34
venturequest is on a distinguished road
venturequest's Tacoma Gallery
2ND GENERATION SKID PLATE FABRICATION

I am in the process of fabricating my on front skid plate. I will post pics as I progress. Hopefully it will work and I will also attach specs.
Attached Thumbnails
Homemade skid plates?-dscn3639.jpg   Homemade skid plates?-dscn3638.jpg   Homemade skid plates?-dscn3641.jpg   Homemade skid plates?-dscn3642.jpg  
Old 07-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #35
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Started with this.
Homemade skid plates?-img_00000078.jpg

Came up with this. Not many build pics.
Homemade skid plates?-img_00000080.jpg

Rear diff skid. This will be removed and modified to cover the tailstock alittle better.
Homemade skid plates?-img_00000093.jpg
Homemade skid plates?-img_00000095.jpg
Homemade skid plates?-img_00000103.jpg
Old 07-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #36
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Without threads like this one, I wouldn't attempt half of what I've done.

Couple more pics. Using my little 120v welder she came out not half bad.
Homemade skid plates?-img_00000096.jpg

Homemade skid plates?-img_00000098.jpg
Old 07-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #37
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
well that's one way

I've given out specs to a couple people but always ask they donate to the BRC or something similar.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #38
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my skids. 3/16" thick and bolts up just like stock. I made my bash plate and engine skid separate so that changing the oil would be easier. I also put 1" square tubing on my trans. and t-case skids as bracing. Then I just plated my factory gas tank skid.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #39
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Location: Home: Lexington, VA Current: Pittsburgh/Chicora, PA
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. planning on making my own as well
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #40
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some pics of my home made skids. They are all 3/16" like everyone elses and have see some serious abuse. Some unique details are the fact that I used 3 stand offs on the front skid instead of 2.
Also, my IFS skid can be removed without removing the belly or front skid for easier oil changes. I'll be updating the belly skid for my flat belly some time here. I'll post up more pics then

You can see how they sit on the truck here: