Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Homemade skid plates?

Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 AM   #41
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I forgot about this thread lol I have been riding my Grizzly quite a bit lately and because I bought it the truck mods have essentially stopped. I'm still gonna make my skids someday, but probably not for a little while yet. Keep the info flowing so I can make even better skids haha!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #42
Revco is on a distinguished road
Revco's Tacoma Gallery
No pics of mine, they aren't finished or installed yet, but they are 1/4" 6061 Aluminum. I built mock-up pieces at work out of thin gauge aluminum to figure out the fitment and clearance, then transferred that info to the 1/4" plate aluminum. All bends, holes, and notches done on an Ironworker. I still need to weld up the mount spacers and add some sectional support on the topsides before installing them. I'll post up pics and more info when I get them wrapped up.

I built them with aluminum for two reasons. 1. I had a few 4x8 sheets of 1/4" 6061 Aluminum that have been taking up space in my shop for the last several years, 2. It's way lighter than Steel and I want to keep my little Reg Cab as light as I can.

The 1/4" 6061 Aluminum weighs 3.5 lbs/sqft, where 3/16" Mild Steel weighs 7.65 lbs/sqft and 1/4" Mild Steel weighs 10.2 lbs/sqft. So the weight savings are massive when compared to steel. I won't be doing any hardcore crawling, so I'm sure they'll suit my needs just fine.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #43
Steve W is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Steve W's Tacoma Gallery
Great posts, pictures and ideas. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #44
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revco View Post
No pics of mine, they aren't finished or installed yet, but they are 1/4" 6061 Aluminum. I built mock-up pieces at work out of thin gauge aluminum to figure out the fitment and clearance, then transferred that info to the 1/4" plate aluminum. All bends, holes, and notches done on an Ironworker. I still need to weld up the mount spacers and add some sectional support on the topsides before installing them. I'll post up pics and more info when I get them wrapped up.

I built them with aluminum for two reasons. 1. I had a few 4x8 sheets of 1/4" 6061 Aluminum that have been taking up space in my shop for the last several years, 2. It's way lighter than Steel and I want to keep my little Reg Cab as light as I can.

The 1/4" 6061 Aluminum weighs 3.5 lbs/sqft, where 3/16" Mild Steel weighs 7.65 lbs/sqft and 1/4" Mild Steel weighs 10.2 lbs/sqft. So the weight savings are massive when compared to steel. I won't be doing any hardcore crawling, so I'm sure they'll suit my needs just fine.
DO YOU HAVE A TOTAL COST ON THEM?
Old 11-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #45
Steve W is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Steve W's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
So for the skid plates all cuts were made with the 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. For the bends I used the "whiskey bend" method of using a cutoff wheel to cut most of the way through the plate where the bend will be and then bending the plate along the cut and rewelding the seam.
Thanks for this idea, I used this idea to build a rear diff skid. I would not have taken on that project without this method of making bends because there are so many angles. I only have a stick welder and table vise and some clamps. Thanks again, Box Rocket
Old 11-10-2013, 06:35 AM   #46
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
I made my own tranny skid. Really simple design though.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #47
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
Thanks for this idea, I used this idea to build a rear diff skid. I would not have taken on that project without this method of making bends because there are so many angles. I only have a stick welder and table vise and some clamps. Thanks again, Box Rocket

Glad I could help.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #48
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
I made my own tranny skid. Really simple design though.
Pics?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #49
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Re routed exhaust, smoothed out the hump on the Allpro skid. Then attached the long tranny skid from the ifs to the tcase skid.

Flat belly is great
Old 11-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #50
Interweb wheeler

Quote:
Re routed exhaust, smoothed out the hump on the Allpro skid. Then attached the long tranny skid from the ifs to the tcase skid.

Flat belly is great
I'm definitely going to have a reroute done. I don't want that ridiculous pipe hanging down that low.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 AM   #51
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Flat belly is great
Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #52
cynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedcynicalrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cynicalrider's Tacoma Gallery
Subbing for future reference. Thinking about having a buddy of mine work with me to fab up a skid.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:39 PM   #53
Dj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
Dj318's Tacoma Gallery
Subed!

Are y'all welding the cross supports to the frame?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #54
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I didn't weld any of the skid to the frame. The rear crossmember on my belly skid is part of the skid. there are brackets welded to the frame that it bolts to.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:01 PM   #55
Dj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
Dj318's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
I didn't weld any of the skid to the frame. The rear crossmember on my belly skid is part of the skid. there are brackets welded to the frame that it bolts to.
Oh!! I see what ya did there! Did you custom make the brackets or order them?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #56
Neighborhood Know-it-all

I used some I got from Ruffstuff
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #57
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
Location: Home: Lexington, VA Current: Pittsburgh/Chicora, PA
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson X View Post
Here's mine:

After I added the Mid-Skid:

Unfortunately I don't have a write-up for the skids (sorry). It mounts to the factory bolt holes and hardware (except for some Grade-8 nuts and bolts I picked up) and uses the transmission cross-member studs to bolt the rear into place.

I basically checked out the different skids I liked (Relentless, Bud Built, ATO) and saw how they mounted to borrow ideas from. I had a rough sketch from a buddy with measurements for the front IFS skid, so that took a lot of the guess-work out of it.

I bought a 64" x 24" piece of 3/16" thick A36 steel and used a combination square to start marking my cuts, welds, and bends. I had never welded before, but with the help of a fellow Taco buddy, we cut out each piece with the plasma cutter, and started welding it together. We test fit each piece along the way to make sure the factory mounting holes lined up.

After we got the front skid done, we had to slot some of the holes to make it fit just right. I had originally planned to make (2) separate skids that bolted together, but simplicity and ease won in the end, and we welded them into a one-piece. I just got done mounting the whole thing up, and it was a chore. After some "persuasion" we got it mounted and it is pretty damn solid.

I guess my best advice would be to really check out your under-carriage, note what factory holes you have available, see where you need protection, and measure, measure, measure. Use a degree finder to dial in the rough angles you need to work around. Once you have the separate pieces ready to weld together, test fit them on the truck and tack weld them to each-other after confirming they line up. Remove the skid(s) and finish welding all the seams/joints.

Hope this helps, and gives you some ideas for your truck. Good luck!
does yours cover the T-case too?
Old 03-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #59
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
I built my front bumper for $350 my rear bumper for about $85, tire carrier for another $60, roof rack was $80ish and rock sliders for about $125, skids and bed rack are on the list, definitely cheaper than buying, front bumper alone with shipping would put me out $1800 or more
Old 03-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #60
HBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBtaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Allen
HBtaco02's Tacoma Gallery

I built this all 3/16" plate and 1" X 2" tubing. Rear mounting is similar to Box Rocket's.