Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Homemade skid plates?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Interweb wheeler
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Homemade skid plates?

I've started thinking about making (designing mostly; I have a drafting degree) my own skids for my truck. I have a couple shops I'd talk to about making them. Namely the IFS, trans, transfer case, and gas tank ones. I'd more than likely buy the rear diff diaper and LCA ones depending on how well making the others goes.

So onto what I'd like to know:
1. Has anyone made their own before? IIRC pAP made a trans skid
2. What material? 1/4" steel seems the most common from my searching
3. Where would/should I bolt them to the truck? And what size hardware should be used?

Thanks for any input you may have
Old 02-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Do you think you will see a savings over just buying a proven brand ?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Interweb wheeler
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
On shipping alone I think it'd be worth it. I'd get prices from the shop to see what I would save but I really belive the savings would be really good
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
I have been thinking about the same (also largely due to exorbitant shipping costs). My thought is that I would like to build them out of a lighter material. As you mentioned most guys seem to be building skids out of 1/4" plate, but that is incredibly heavy.

In my opinion armor is there to protect the truck from something unavoidable, not protect from an idiot behind the wheel. So if I am on a trail that has a boulder that is just that extra inch too tall and it ends up getting into a skid, I shouldn't need 1/4" plate. 1/8" will hold the static weight of the truck and even handle a decent impact (it will probably dent from impact however).

With all the stuff I load in my truck I don't want to give up 100lbs just to skid plates alone.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Got 60$ into my IFS skid.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
PICS when you get the drafts done.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
Interweb wheeler

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Thanks for the link! I wonder what kind of weight difference there would be between 3/16" over the 1/4"? Obviously it would weigh 25% less but as far as actual poundage I'm not sure. I'm also not sure though how well they would hold up to a hit.

I'm gonna start working on my drawings this morning, it'll take me a few days I'm sure cause I take a lot of time to make sure my measurments are exactly what I want and I'll be taking notes as well
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
Interweb wheeler

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quoted from Raush Creek meet discussion as it is more than relevant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I'm gonna have a local shop build me sliders, bumpers, and skids. I'm working with CAD to design all my own stuff. Sliders are done, but having trouble with skids. Not sure where to bolt them to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
very cool.....the aftermarket ifs skid bolts in the same place as stock skid and youll need to make a crossmember to hold tranny skid and the mid skid will bolt to the other 2 skids and also to stock crossmember
Quote:
Is that what the aftermarket companies do? Never remember anyone installing one of those when reading about skids
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerTaco View Post
YES.

I have one for my budbuilt setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard2kill View Post
yes..i have all the budbuilts and i had to bolt in a crossmember take alook at the budbuilt website friend if you want pm me your cell and ill snap u a few pics 2mro
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Home made is absolutely cheaper than buying a proven brand. I spent a total of $100 on all three of my skids...IFS, trans, T-case. They are stronger than Budbuilts because of the extra bracing. You can find tons of posts from people showing their Bud Built belly skids all bent because they didn't add extra bracing. Bud Builts are good skid plates, don't get me wrong but they need some extra beef to keep them from bending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadwonder View Post
I have been thinking about the same (also largely due to exorbitant shipping costs). My thought is that I would like to build them out of a lighter material. As you mentioned most guys seem to be building skids out of 1/4" plate, but that is incredibly heavy.

In my opinion armor is there to protect the truck from something unavoidable, not protect from an idiot behind the wheel. So if I am on a trail that has a boulder that is just that extra inch too tall and it ends up getting into a skid, I shouldn't need 1/4" plate. 1/8" will hold the static weight of the truck and even handle a decent impact (it will probably dent from impact however).

With all the stuff I load in my truck I don't want to give up 100lbs just to skid plates alone.
3/16" is more than adequate if you incorporate some proper bracing to the plates. In fact most of the "proven" skids out there like BudBuilt, Skid Row, AllPro, TG etc all use 3/16". Some tricks are to have some vertical or angled edges on the sides to keep the edges from beding, and then add a few peices of bracing through the middle to help distribute load when you take big hits.

I have beat the snot out of my skid plates and they are still straight and doing their job perfectly for a fraction of the cost of something you could buy from other vendors.

here they are all clean......
Old 02-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Interweb wheeler

NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
^^This is exactly the type of information I was looking for! Thanks
Old 02-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hey did you have a template to work with?
Other than cardboard you threw out afterwards.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No templates for me. Just a tape measure. Didn't even use cardboard.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
VA6DCO

Nice. Looks good.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
No templates for me. Just a tape measure. Didn't even use cardboard.
So you just used a wheel, hammer, welder and a drill? Plasma cutter?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
Neighborhood Know-it-all

I have a very basic set of tools. All of my fab work is done with the following list of tools.

Dewalt Chop saw with abrasive wheel
Dewalt 4" angle grinder with cutoff wheels.
Dewalt 12v drill
Hobart Handler 180 Welder
HF Pipe Bender

So for the skid plates all cuts were made with the 4" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. For the bends I used the "whiskey bend" method of using a cutoff wheel to cut most of the way through the plate where the bend will be and then bending the plate along the cut and rewelding the seam.

One day I would love to add a plasma cutter, press brake, real tubing bender, drill press, etc to my list of tools but I just make do with what I have.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #19
looneytunemagoun is on a distinguished road
Name: james
looneytunemagoun's Tacoma Gallery
I am thinking of making some at work soon
Old 04-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the link! I wonder what kind of weight difference there would be between 3/16" over the 1/4"? Obviously it would weigh 25% less but as far as actual poundage I'm not sure. I'm also not sure though how well they would hold up to a hit.

I'm gonna start working on my drawings this morning, it'll take me a few days I'm sure cause I take a lot of time to make sure my measurments are exactly what I want and I'll be taking notes as well
I believe 1/4 carbon steel weighs around 9lbs/ sq ft. I don't know about the 3/16 though