1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show us your winches (not your wives)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by LoadedTaco, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Oct 13, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    jeverich

jeverich Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    PNW/Kodiak
    Vehicle:
    07 2.7 4x4
    OME 886/Old Man Doug Suspension Lift, ARB Bumper, Bruteforce High Clearance w/Swing Out, De-badge, Block Heater, Homemade IFS Skid, 7" Kragens, Blue Seas Fuse Block, BlitzPro Fogs, 12k BadLands Winch, BAMF Sliders, ARB Locker, 4.88s Yaesu FT-1900R, Larsen 150B NMO Mount Antenna
    FYI, Masterpull doesn't recommended sanding the drum to increase friction (roughness).. They recommend sanding it to remove roughness.

Winch drums don't rely on friction via rough surfaces to grip the rope. It's a function of mechanical tension that holds it on. That's why you never apply tension without at least 4 wraps on the drum.

Just my .02..

I've worked with probably a few miles worth of synthetic rope and wire rope over my career, just wound on 2500 feet of 5/8" 7x19 wire on a 50,000 trawl winch - just would hate to see someone trash 100 feet of (not cheap) synthetic 12 strand.

I'll go back to observing.

Good luck.

2. Oct 13, 2014 at 8:19 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Can't believe that there's only been one CBI front hitch and and winch on an external/ removable mount in all these posts. My CBI front hitch and Warn quick connect front and rear kits should be here tomorrow (wireless remote to be ordered soon). Warn 8000i is on the Cummins Ram 3500 right now, but not for long...

3. Oct 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    Coast2Coast

Coast2Coast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRDOR
    Black Sand Pearl factory paint - flattened "au natural" by tree branches.
    Applying 4 wraps of rope on the winch drum ensures there is enough frictional force on the rope to keep it from spinning on the winch drum. The rope relies on frictional force to stay on the winch drum. That is my argument lol.

Roughness and smoothness in this context is relative. Sanding it with no matter what grit is not going to make it as rough as it would be if it had a couple years of use with a steel cable. It will be full of burrs and divots that need to be filed and sanded out. Master pull recommends sanding it smooth, inadvertently making it rough enough to hold the synthetic rope. A brand new polished winch drum will cause the rope to slip sooner, with more wraps on the drum, than a "sanded smooth" or "roughed up with sand paper" winch drum. It's just physics.

4. Oct 20, 2014 at 2:32 PM
    InTheRough

InTheRough Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kolt
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra Platinum
    Rock Warrior wheels
    I TAKE THIS BACK, ITS FOR THE 3 WIRE. M8000 IS 5 WIRE.

I am working on installing cab controls. I was looking up how many wires the controller for the M8000 was (so I didn't have to go outside to the truck) and came upon this. I was looking for one of these for a long time but could not find one so I decided to go a different route. I thought I would post it for those that might be looking for one:

WARN 16296 Three Wire Socket Kit
    http://www.amazon.com/WARN-16296-Three-Wire-Socket/dp/B000CQHZ3C
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  5. Oct 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM
    InTheRough

InTheRough Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kolt
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra Platinum
    Rock Warrior wheels
    nvm, I found what I was looking for.

I was looking for the gauge of the wire that is used for the controller. It's 16/5 stranded.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  6. Oct 21, 2014 at 8:21 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    Thoughts on Engo and Superwinch? Both can be had with syn line for ~$500

Without knowing too much about them, I lump them in with the Smitty, I know the higher end Supers are pretty badass, what about the Tigershark?

http://www.okledlightbars.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4914356

[​IMG]

http://www.amazon.com/Superwinch-15...3&sr=8-2&keywords=superwinch+tiger+shark+9500

[​IMG]

7. Oct 22, 2014 at 5:02 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    ^^ don't know much about the Engo but I tossed back and forth between that superwinch tiger and the Smitty x20 10,000 for a long time. after asking sevaral questions from superwinch on the waterproof rating of the solenoid and other parts I ended up getting the Smitty X20 which had a larger HP motor, more pull and waterproof solenoid, better warranty.

got it for $522 shipped from Auto Anything with a free cover
    http://www.smittybiltdepot.com/Smittybilt-Winches-and-Winch-Accessories/X2O-10K-Waterproof-Synthetic-Rope-Wireless-Winch-Gen2-with-Fairlead.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pn=S%2fB98510

just my $.02

(I did however end up taking it completely apart, cleaning out all the grease and re greasing it. I took the solenoid apart and totally sealed it with silocon. I didn't have to do this however I just wanted to make sure everything was done right and water tight before I put it on the truck.)

8. Oct 22, 2014 at 5:55 AM
    SMKYTXN

SMKYTXN If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    I have the tigershark. It does what it's supposed to. I've made several pulls with it and haven't had a problem.

Pulling a beached FJ off a log. :D

[​IMG]

9. Oct 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    Yup, I read the X20 thread many times before posting this, it seems they are all similarly priced, but the features you mention are definitely a plus for the X20. I will probably wait to see what black Friday deals are available before pulling the trigger on anything, just trying to have a game plan ahead of time.

Good deal, always like positive feedback. Did you reseal and relocate the solenoid?

10. Oct 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
  11. Oct 22, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
  12. Oct 22, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
    Interesting setup, don't think I have seen anyone else do it like that. Did you make it detachable just for a safety function (ie not powered all the time)?

13. Oct 22, 2014 at 9:42 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    this is everything I did to my Smittybilt X20. see all of pg 5. By the time I was done sealing everything I was thinking I could have saved a couple hundred $$$ and got the model under the X20 just because I double sealed everything anyway. No worries i have peace of mind.

-degreased and regreased motor
    -sealed solenoid
    -relocated solenoid
    -I have a master cutoff switch and will be installing that soon in the engine bay.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...ybilt-gen2-xrc-x20-winches-5.html#post9211117

regardless I would seal any solenoid for any winch I purchase. Too easy not to do and rather not deal with it later.

14. Oct 22, 2014 at 9:44 AM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    After having the bumper sit around for almost 2 years and the winch sit around since June 2013...I finally slapped them on last weekend...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I relocated the solenoid pack to behind the top passenger side of the grill and mounted it on a custom bracket I welded in. I clocked the disengage lever one rotation forward to make it easier to access. I spooled up the AmSteel-Blue synthetic line on Saturday morning...got stuck Saturday night...and did this to it during the first 20 seconds of winching...still not sure what happened!
    [​IMG]
    The winch is a Superwinch Talon 9.5... bad ass winch! Tough choice between this one and a warn ZEON...but after tons of research I went Superwinch!

15. Oct 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP

what research did you find out that the superwinch was better the zeon just by curiosity?

16. Oct 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
  17. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    SMKYTXN

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    11, 4dr, TRD Sport, 6sp
    DCFB
    The solenoid is sealed and doesn't have power run to it unless winching so water shouldn't be a problem.

There's no reason to have power run to the winch unless you're winching. I also didn't run a fuse or circuit breaker. I also have a set of jumper cables that plug into the line so I don't have to lift the hood.

18. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:10 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
  19. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM
    GEARAHOLIC

GEARAHOLIC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KELLEN
    PASO ROBLES, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Black on Black BEAST
    Its been about a year and a half so forgive me for not remembering all of the reasoning that went into my decision...

Better solenoid...supposedly "more" waterproof.
    External brake = less heat transferred to the synthetic rope
    Line speed is 2x as fast as the zeon 33fpm to 62fpm
    How the rope mounts to the drum is better IMHO on the Superwinch
    I like the controller better on the Super winch and it has a built in LED light
    I like the look of the Superwinch more than the Zeon

20. Oct 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM
    Manwithoutaplan

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:

Interesting. I have the zeon i do have to agree with you on the rope mount it is alot harder than the video said it is.

Does Super-winch stand by there product?

Products Discussed in

To Top