Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Show us your winches (not your wives)

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Show us your winches (not your wives)

Okay I cannot find anything good on here about winches so fill this out and post pictures if you have them. I just bought a winch for my sweet new plate bumper and was curious what everyone else was running. This is not a pissing contest so review your winch and ask/answer questions.

Brand:Warn
Model:VR-10000s
Load Capasity: 10,000 lbs
Weight:64lbs
Wire/Synthetic: Synthetic
Fairlead:Black warn hawse
Solenoid: Divorced
Location of Solenoid: Not sure yet
In cab switch: No
Wireless Control:No
Rating (1-10): Not sure haven't used mine yet.

Post Pictures if you have them of Winch, Solenoid, Controls, and/or using it.

Mine is getting hooked up in the next couple days but here are some general pictures of what it looks like.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Warn M8000

Relocated Solenoid next to battery (custom battery tray)

I just got the solenoid done last month, so I haven't used it yet. But here is a picture of me using my old winch (Smittybilt XRC8)
Old 02-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
stumble is on a distinguished road
stumble's Tacoma Gallery
TJM Stealth 9000

I ended up with a TJM Stealth 9000 based on Price $615, Lifetime Warranty, and because it comes with everything you need. External battery cut-off switch, both wired & wireless remote controls, fairlead, synthetic rope, mounting bolts, and nice long cables.

Demello talking about the winch here - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post2163661

Info in this thread on warranty and controller - http://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marke...lth-winch.html

Best price I could find $615 + shipping ($13 for me) - http://www.british4x4outfitters.com/...DS-P22866.aspx
Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJonAgs32 View Post
Warn M8000

Relocated Solenoid next to battery (custom battery tray)

I just got the solenoid done last month, so I haven't used it yet.

I like that location!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedTaco View Post
I like that location!
thanks! I have pics of the battery tray I made in my sig
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumble View Post

I ended up with a TJM Stealth 9000 based on Price $615, Lifetime Warranty, and because it comes with everything you need. External battery cut-off switch, both wired & wireless remote controls, fairlead, synthetic rope, mounting bolts, and nice long cables.

Demello talking about the winch here - http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ml#post2163661

Info in this thread on warranty and controller - http://forum.ih8mud.com/vendor-marke...lth-winch.html

Best price I could find $615 + shipping ($13 for me) - http://www.british4x4outfitters.com/...DS-P22866.aspx
I like that. I think I may have found the winch I want.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
Smittybilt XRC8. Paid $100 shipped when I got my ARB bumper. I swapped out the line to Southeast Overland 3/8" Amsteel Blue line with an Excel Hook. Put the silinoid in a 4x4x4 electrical box under the hood and wired incab controls...

Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
Smittybilt XRC8. Paid $100 shipped when I got my ARB bumper. I swapped out the line to Southeast Overland 3/8" Amsteel Blue line with an Excel Hook. Put the silinoid in a 4x4x4 electrical box under the hood and wired incab controls...

i like the place of your arb and winch solenoid

I cant do that cause my abs pump is right their.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Smittybilt XRC-10 Comp

stock:
-synthitic line
-standard corded remote
-polished aluminum hawse

upgrades/mods:
-cleaned out factory grease and repacked with mobile 1 synthetic
-greased and sealed the solenoid
-in-cab controlls (12-volt guy spitch panel)
-trashed the provided wire, and used 0-gauge marine grade wire
-reinforced winch plate on bumper
-reinforced frame where the bumper mounts
-wireless controller coming soon

Great winch overal, especially on the bang for your buck side of things. i've seen the xrc-8 and xrc-10 in action, and while the 8 works well, the 10 is much better suited for our trucks once you load them down with armor and other accessories/gear. well worth the extra money.

it is pretty much a must to clean out and repack the gears with new grease. the grease that comes in the winch isn't necessarily bad, it's just WAY to heavy for this aplication. once you regrease, it freespool is much easier, and switching from engaged to frespool is much easier. i can only assume that it is easier on things while pulling as well.

as for the wiring, what it comes with is ok, but that's it. i needed some extra length, for my mounting of the winch and solenoid, so since i had to get longer cable anyway, i figured now was the best time to upgrade. spent about $100 on marine grade cable and the needed fittings.

cost breakdown:
winch:$550
wiring: $100
switch:$45
Total--$795

I already had the grease for the gears, silicone and dielectric grease for the solenoid, and steels to reinforce the bumper and frame. those are all fairly low cost items though if you don't have them.

parts and materials

stock vs upgrades wiring

Solenoid location

installed, with the hook in the daily driving and "i'm probably going to get stuck doing this" position

hich clearance hook stowage to protect against unwanted rubbage on high approach angle obstacles

cut some fuel line to protect against any abrasion between the rope and bumper

in-cab switch

installed

Old 02-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
i like the switch board.
anything from 12VoltGuy is top notch. he's got a few weeks lead time, but it's worth it. he'll even do custom stuff.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #17

gracias
Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Warn 9.5 XP with Masterpull Synthetic.
No in cab controls or anything fancy yet, still ttrying to get to that.
Solenoid is behind the grille.
Awesome winch, super strong and fast but it is hungry for the 12v juice.

Pics taken with bumper off truck, cuz thats where it is right now.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #20
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd

Products Discussed in this Thread