Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

PreRunner vs 4x4...which is better for what

Old 03-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
puddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zach
puddin67's Tacoma Gallery
PreRunner vs 4x4...which is better for what

So obviously 4 wheel drives have advantages in many areas of off roading, they are superior when it comes to crawling, climbing, and shooting through mud. But it seems like mainly Prerunners are used for wheelin at high speeds in flat desert type terrain. Is there a reason that 4 wheel drives aren't used for this type of driving??
Old 03-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
The 4x4 vs. Prerunner threads rarely end well here on TW. If this thread was in the second gen section, it would be very entertaining... As for the topic, I think it comes down to cost. It's a lot cheaper to long-travel suspension a Prerunner than a 4x4 truck. That's why.

If you search you can find a number of LT 4x4 trucks, that are very capable of "Go Fast Desert" driving, they're just not as common, again, probably due to the cost of upgrading the suspension components.

Apply thread lock now.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Wheels With Moose.
NMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNMW 4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Walt
NMW 4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be that guy. 4x4 is better for everything.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
4wd does everything better. 2wd even works better in a 4wd truck.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
The 4x4 vs. Prerunner threads rarely end well here on TW. If this thread was in the second gen section, it would be very entertaining... As for the topic, I think it comes down to cost. It's a lot cheaper to long-travel suspension a Prerunner than a 4x4 truck. That's why.

If you search you can find a number of LT 4x4 trucks, that are very capable of "Go Fast Desert" driving, they're just not as common, again, probably due to the cost of upgrading the suspension components.

Apply thread lock now.
Pretty much this.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
dsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddsjones5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DSJ
dsjones5's Tacoma Gallery
Being a TRD Sport prerunner owner I will undoubtedly admit... I wish I had 4wd 365 days out of the year. Every vehicle in my family has 4wd, my truck is the only exception (parents choice,not mine). My next Taco will for sure be 4x4... but to get the TRD package again? that is the question.

But if I could do it over again, and cost was not a factor, I would def. get the 4x4.

Only reason 2wd was my choice is because its my daily driver and all I do is drive around college. My truck hardly ever sees anything but the depressing asphalt of my university.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunner is better if you want to use lift spindles

4x4 wins every other category
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Prerunners are good candidates for 4x4 swaps 4x4 FTW
Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
puddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to beholdpuddin67 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Zach
puddin67's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post

Apply thread lock now.
Yeah that makes more sense. Thanks for the info. I was kinda confused haha
Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
The reason 2wd trucks are "better" go fast trucks is because after a certain point with IFS the suspension travel is limited by the cv axle, but that is in extreme LT cases, when you get into race truck level of build, for everything else 4wd is better. You see more pre runners in places like Cali where they don't need a 4x4 and a lot of their off roading fun is had in open areas of desert
Old 03-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
The reason 2wd trucks are "better" go fast trucks is because after a certain point with IFS the suspension travel is limited by the cv axle, but that is in extreme LT cases, when you get into race truck level of build, for everything else 4wd is better. You see more pre runners in places like Cali where they don't need a 4x4 and a lot of their off roading fun is had in open areas of desert
this, and if they had a design that eliminated axle bind, they'd still have the expense of custom CV's to get the width needed to get lots of travel.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Banned
prerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud ofprerantaco has much to be proud of
prerantaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
this ^^

i am 4wd long travel, BEST OF BOTH WORLDS BABY!
this is the only way to do it IMO.

getting 4wd to work with long travel systems is much harder, and can be really expensive.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #13
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerantaco View Post
this ^^

i am 4wd long travel, BEST OF BOTH WORLDS BABY!
this is the only way to do it IMO.
Hell yeah brother! What kind of LT do you have?
Old 03-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
well since I live in Oregon I need 4x4 since it can get nasty here and It never hurts to have it plus 4x4 is more fun in the mud
Old 03-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #15
WHEEEEEEEEEEE!!
CRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shedCRU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CRU's Tacoma Gallery
Simple. 4x4's are about traction. Prerunner is about getting the extra goodies with no use for 4wd. If you need grip, 4wd all the way, of course. If it's like mine, a highway princess, 4wd is a waste of money and gas. Mainly money. I'd have bought a 5-lug in a second if Toyota would put some of the bells & whistles in them. I.e. color matched parts, skewp, bucket seats, etc. To be honest, an xrunner with an auto would be perfect. But ... I digress.