LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Recovery Question

Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
Recovery Question

anyone use static rope for recovery? i was searching online and found some that is rated to a little over 10,000lbs for like $1.31/ft that can be purchased by the foot. My winch is currently the 60in Hi Lift and there are times it would be nice to be able to tie off from a specific distance, and my 20ft tow straps are hard to get in shorter distances. i have searched for chain, but to get it heavy enough seems super expensive, and i dont really plan to spend the money on a winch. if not the rope, any other suggestions for winching out? i know it needs to be strong, but i dont know that i need something rated for 30,000lbs like i have seen on some recovery straps
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy (92Shawman) got a winch and then replaced the cable with a synthetic line. I then took the cable and made a loop to the end that was closest to the winch, and now he has twice the winching distance, plus a static tow line. We just throw the wire line into the bed of the truck when we go wheeling

Warning: I used to work on cable courses and know how to use properly rated saddle bolts and wire ties to loop the loose end. DON'T just try and tie a not or something cause that will cause some seriously BAD shit to go down....
Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Why skimp on recovery items if it may mean the difference between spending the night in the cold woods or a warm bed! I have a 100' length of ARB winch extension strap I carry at all times
I've got the same arb winch extension. Saved my ass a few times. And I also carry 100' winch cable for emergencies.

I reccomend the arb strap for sure.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Don't cheap out on recovery gear......

10,000lbs is not enough strength....and you gotta make sure its for 'recovery' of vehicles. There's a lot of 'static' rope out there and a lot of it is used for climbing gear. You've gotta know the difference.

I'd highly recommend a good quality tow strap. I've always had good luck and success with Keeper "Stretch n Snatch"
Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #5
hakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shedhakabo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jacob
hakabo's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone got a link to the arb line y'all mentioned?
Old 03-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
That one is 100' long?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods
SoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud ofSoutheastOverland has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
SoutheastOverland's Tacoma Gallery
Recovery products, including tow straps, are often rated to 30k and 40k lbs to build in a safety factor to help keep you and others safe. Even static tow lines can be dynamically weighted (even if you don't mean to) and that can increase the load on the line 2x, 3x, or even more.

Rope would have to be spliced. Using a knot will significantly degrade the strength of the line. Plan on a 20-50% degradation in strength, and don't plan on getting the knot out after it is loaded.

We make synthetic winch line extensions in any length and diameters from 3/16" up to 7/16". We often make them in 50' and 100' lengths. You can shorten a synthetic winch line extension or a strap in the field without using a knot if you have a receiver pin, or much more preferred a rolled up magazine. Southeast Overland is developing a product specifically to be used for shortening lines in the field.