Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

I haven't posted a dumb question in awhile... I offer this one (CB/two-way radios)

Old 03-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I haven't posted a dumb question in awhile... I offer this one (CB/two-way radios)

I have two-way (hand held) radios that I use on the trails with other vehicles, that are also using two-way radios.

Would my two-way hand held work with vehicles that are running CBs if set to the same channel?

Or do these devices use totally different bands/frequencies (or any other word I can pull out my wazoo that may or may not be relevant)?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Yes if your handheld is a CB and not a FRS radio or other radio. Is it a handheld CB?

Every radio has specific frequencies it uses. Additionally, some are FM and some AM, which are not compatible. A very few HAM radios can be illegally configured to operate on both HAM and CB frequencies. Those are only supposed to be able to hear CB but not transmit. FCC type casts each portable radio so it only operates on a very set frequnct range and type. FRS, GMRS, LMR, HAM, CB, etc are all different and very few overlap.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
logcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shedlogcabinwc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Micah
logcabinwc's Tacoma Gallery
unless your radio is a hand held CB radio then no, you cannot. I wish though, I carry 2 two way radios in my truck and have a CB. But I am almost certain they are completely different frequencies.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Regular two way radios you would buy at a sport's store will not work with CB radios, they operate on different frequencies. Sport's store radios are generally FRS band frequencies, which are different than CB.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I just have a couple of Motorola Talkabouts (T5950)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a CB will be in my future eventually.