1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I haven't posted a dumb question in awhile... I offer this one (CB/two-way radios)

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Madjik_Man, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Mar 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man [OP] The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I have two-way (hand held) radios that I use on the trails with other vehicles, that are also using two-way radios.

Would my two-way hand held work with vehicles that are running CBs if set to the same channel?

Or do these devices use totally different bands/frequencies (or any other word I can pull out my wazoo that may or may not be relevant)?

2. Mar 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes if your handheld is a CB and not a FRS radio or other radio. Is it a handheld CB?

Every radio has specific frequencies it uses. Additionally, some are FM and some AM, which are not compatible. A very few HAM radios can be illegally configured to operate on both HAM and CB frequencies. Those are only supposed to be able to hear CB but not transmit. FCC type casts each portable radio so it only operates on a very set frequnct range and type. FRS, GMRS, LMR, HAM, CB, etc are all different and very few overlap.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. Mar 18, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    unless your radio is a hand held CB radio then no, you cannot. I wish though, I carry 2 two way radios in my truck and have a CB. But I am almost certain they are completely different frequencies.

4. Mar 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Regular two way radios you would buy at a sport's store will not work with CB radios, they operate on different frequencies. Sport's store radios are generally FRS band frequencies, which are different than CB.

5. Mar 18, 2013 at 5:01 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man [OP] The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    Yeah I just have a couple of Motorola Talkabouts (T5950)

Thanks for the replies. Looks like a CB will be in my future eventually.

Products Discussed in

To Top