Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Preventing Brush Scratches?

Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
nuke the trail ahead of time- no trees, no scratches.
problem solved
Front mounted flame thrower mod
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #22
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
nuke the trail ahead of time- no trees, no scratches.
problem solved
I retract my previous election if most sensible answer. This is it. Not only does it clear the landscape, but the blast crater can be used for hill climbs, or filled with water to make a nice mud pit for the rednecks.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #23
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Should have bought a first gen. They are much more narrow.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
I retract my previous election if most sensible answer. This is it. Not only does it clear the landscape, but the blast crater can be used for hill climbs, or filled with water to make a nice mud pit for the rednecks.
But then you get the side effects of zombie apocolypse and nuclear winter.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Or, BSESAB

** Brush Sensing External Side Air Bags.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #26
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Thats why I always get used trucks for playing/exploring. Those first scratches don't seem so bad. Wait 'til your first dent Then you'll really be pissed.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #27
Alloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to beholdAlloutdrs1 is a splendid one to behold

Alloutdrs1's Tacoma Gallery
If your worried about the brush scratches You can always buy a product called roadwrap and apply it in the areas most prone to scratching , http://www.buyroadwrap.com/

Its a temporary clear film that can easily be applied and removed, i use it for my vehicle i take to car shows to protect the front end from rock chips, it works very well.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #28
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
You can have the entire car clear bra done. Cost is about $1500. I would do this except I do get the occasional BIG scratch. I did Toyota trail at Hidden Falls and ate a log in my passenger rear door and it would have torn clear bra... in fact it tore the small amount of factory clear bra on that side. It would have stopped about 1000 smaller scratches all over the truck though. For now, its compound, polish, wax and move on. I will do the clear bra once I have to do some repainting and reclearing.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #29
Tommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTommy27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tommy
Tommy27's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a white or silver truck. White hides the best. I went off road and got my paint scratched to hell. After a wax you cant notice it except on the black mirrors.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:14 AM   #30
Dog slave
Erik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedErik65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
Erik65's Tacoma Gallery
Could always get those big stickers from Camo my ride. Course you have to like camo...
Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #31
StickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shedStickShifty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
StickShifty's Tacoma Gallery
they do make a heavy duty film that goes on the body of the truck/car temporarily , i dont know the brand. Griots Garage carries it, comes in a big roll. Its kind of like heavy duty saran wrap.

Its basically for longer trips in show cars, stick it on, drive it, then peal it off.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #32
DblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shedDblCabMN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DblCabMN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastRedline View Post
...Is the only answer to avoid the tighter trails? I seem to be picking these up because I need to place my wheel out of a rut, and there always seems to be a bush right at the edge of the trail where I need to do that. Am I just picking bad lines?...
Am i the only one that didn't jump to flame him (albeit, mostly in good humor)?

If you're getting in to the bushes because you can't run the trail as it's designed, re: straddling the ruts, then you need to start modding. Lift, taller tires, skid plates. Also, it's the early season/spring so depending on your area, the trails may have grown in a bit in the off-season.

Good luck, welcome to TW, yada yada yada.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Deal with the small scratches, but carry a set of these for the bigger stuff. When you see one you can't avoid just get out and hack it back-

Old 04-24-2013, 06:35 PM   #35
Seer will become famous soon enoughSeer will become famous soon enough
Name: Tom
Seer's Tacoma Gallery
Where I come from those scratches are called character.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #36
Blackdog is on a distinguished road

Name: Blackdog
Blackdog's Tacoma Gallery
Scratches what?

I have a black truck that I take hunting on some narrow trails. I have more scratches then paint now, but the little truck goes where I point it. You have to determine up front that to wheel It means to get it scratched and maybe dented.

When I bought my first 2001 my wife asked me if I was really going to wheel my $30k (with tax) truck. I said I sure was and she said go for it. I got a chuckle out of that.

Ps. That truck got rolled after hitting some black ice on blacktop. So I got me another one.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #37
Wanderer
PastRedline will become famous soon enough
Name: Kyle
PastRedline's Tacoma Gallery
Hi All-

Just wanted to say thanks for all of your suggestions, humor and welcomes.

Very friendly forum. I've really been enjoying reading all of your responses.

I waxed up the truck a bit and I've started to just worry less about the brush scratches. While out camping a week or two ago, I went down an increasingly tight trail that eventually just ended. I had to back out. At that point, all the branches that had been dragging down both sides of the truck had to reverse. I got some real scratches down to the metal from that, no use worrying about the brush scratches anymore

-Kyle
Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #38
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
I just get drunk, then I dont think about it.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #39
waheed is on a distinguished road

Name: Waheed
waheed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
suck it up take it like man their going to come no matter what if you go offroading.

Couldn't agree more Doc
Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #40
2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2011TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
2011TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
No way to avoid damage if you are going to do any moderate to hardcore wheeling. If you don't want scratches, do the light stuff. Driving down gravel roads, maintained logging trails, fire roads, etc...Or, buy a cheap beater truck or SUV and use it for banging around the woods in.